Board index FlightGear Development New features

Make a moviesplash:wink:

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Make a moviesplash:wink:

Postby MIG29pilot » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:50 pm

Is there any way to have a movie for the splash screen instead of a picture? That would be much more amusing for slow loaders! :wink: :|
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Re: Make a moviesplash:wink:

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:18 pm

Yeah, how many extra MBS is that to download?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby MIG29pilot » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:16 am

I wasn't thinking of The Hunt for Red October, just a little something to ease the tedium of waiting 20 seconds.
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:09 am

20 seconds? i've some programs that i load on this monster workhorse that take over 60 seconds to get fully loaded and ready for use... 20 seconds? instant gratification isn't all it is cut out to be... good things come to those who wait ;) O:)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Hooray » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:14 am

"movies" in the actual sense are unsupported currently.
What would be possible are animated splash screens, e.g. by showing instruments/MFDs etc.
That could be accomplished using Nasal, without too much work: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Canvas_Devel ... sh_Screens

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=canvas+splash++screen

Supporting "movies" would be possible to, but would require C++ changes - e.g. to integrate OSG's support for video rendering with Canvas, and provide a dedicated video element: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Canvas_Devel ... ew_Element

One of the most popular feature requests is supporting video streaming, so that external live imagery can be fed into FG and used on displays (or scenery overlays) - this is something that UAV folks would like to do. Others would like to post-process FG imagery using OpenCV, which would require streaming FG imagery externally.

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Canvas_Devel ... ter_Vision

In other words, a splash screen video could be based on video streamed by Torsten's mongoose server to the Canvas system.

But for now, a simple animated Canvas-based splash would be fairly easy to do - e.g. you could show a PFD while shooting an ILS approach (outer marker, middle marker, inner marker) to visualize the completion of the boot process.

I would suggest that you make a proper feature request using the issue tracker: https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/codetickets/

However, in general, time would be better spent improving/optimizing the FG boot process than coming up with features to make the whole thing more "entertaining" - unless such features are orthogonal to other developments, e.g. Canvas elements that would be useful elsewhere
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to New features