Board index FlightGear Development New features

Release cycle

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Release cycle

Postby yanfiz » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:41 am

Hello,

Thank you so much for this wonderful game. I love FlightGear so much!

I've been looking forward to 3.4.1 version to be released for VASI light fix, since 3.4 version, but next version will apparently be 3.6 version. I tried a latest build 3.4.1 version from Release channel of build server, it gave libintl-8.dll while installing. I took advice of downloading nightly versions in the forum. My internet speed and quota will not allow me to download nightly and report bugs, but monthly is ok.

I would love to see stable service versions, like 3.4.1, 3.4.2, 3.4.3, ..., 3.6.1, 3.6.2, 3.6.3 etc. once in a month or in two months, instead of seeing bugs of stable 3.4 fixed in next big stable 3.6 version. I'm sure, FlightGear would be rock solid.

Kind regards.
yanfiz

Re: Release cycle

Postby Thorsten » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:00 am

We all would love to release only stable versions, however the sad truth is that often adding a new feature or fixing an old issue creates a new issue in the process - so the only way to get something stable is to have a longer period during which nothing new is added, followed by testing, followed by fixes, followed by more testing.

That's not really compatible with an even faster release cycle. Note that there's also a simple manpower issue involved - James Turner actually tried to push for a 3.6.1 but he didn't manage to get it done. It costs a lot more than meets the eye in terms of time.

It's also part of the truth that if I add a feature five months prior to a release and never get any error reports for four months and twenty-one days, that fixing something in the last week before a release may simply not mesh with my private life (i.e. I may not have time to do it) - so any fix will have to go into the next release.

The current situation is far from optimal (partially because of manpower limitations, partially because of the way bug reports are made, partially for yet other reasons) but in general issues which get early, detailed and reproducible reports usually tend to get debugged and fixed in time.

If you manage to keep with the nightlies (once a month should be quite good) and report issues during the development cycle, that sure will help.
Thorsten

Postby yanfiz » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:11 am

OK. I'll try to do my best. Thanks for quick reply and thanks to all developers.
yanfiz

Postby Johan G » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:54 am

Another reason is that we are a bit short of manpower. Only a handful of people are involved in the release process.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Return to New features