Board index FlightGear Development New features

FGRun feature request  Topic is solved

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

FGRun feature request

Postby japreja » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:07 pm

I would like to see a feature in FGRun to allow the 3D Model view to accept user inputs (joystick/mouse/keyboard) to test control movements, rudder, jets, etc... of the craft without having to run FG itself. For instance one could test a new landing gear script without having to load all the scenery. A development test mode in a sense. Even if it is only available with just a mouse or keyboard it would be nice.

FGRun already has a viewer and reads the xml's to place the parts of the various craft. How hard/easy would it be to add this???

Is it also possible to branch off FGRun and modify it up to include an xml/nasal editor, on the side of the viewer, to create and test xml/nasal with a live 3D preview? just as a development tool...
japreja

Re: FGRun feature request  

Postby Hooray » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:15 pm

I suggest to run a forum search for "fgrun" and "Qt5" to learn more about the latest developments.
What you describe above should be straightforward to implement in FG directly though
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:16 pm

what he said... as i understand it, fgrun is not likely to be updated, enhanced or worked on any more because of the new internal "fgfs --launcher" capability on qt5 equipped systems...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Alant » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:39 pm

Same answer as from wkitty42.

Hooray - why did you not give the same answer, you know it.

Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Postby japreja » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:45 am

Thanks, just saw the qt info stuff and it looks much nicer. Qt5 Launcher
japreja

Postby Hooray » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:55 am

Alant wrote in Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:39 pm:Hooray - why did you not give the same answer, you know it.

because stating that may not have been sufficient - so, what I'd usually do, is post a link to the corresponding discussions, possibly quoting the relevant postings - but I didn't have time for that, so I demonstrated how to find the relevant threads, which contain much more, and better, information than what had been previously posted.

There's a reason why I have summarized pretty much all relevant points of this development, which can be easily found on the wiki: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Integrated_Q ... cher#FGRun

And quite frankly. I don't subscribe to this whole mentality of spoon-feeding people with information that is readily available elsewhere - aka: give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby japreja » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:16 am

It would be much easier to find things here in the forum if the search was not broken, having to go to google all the time to search is somewhat annoying so I don't do it all the time.

Maybe the forum search can be rigged somehow to use googles site:flightgear.org tag for searches (I have seen other sites with phpBB doing this). Even with google I am getting outdated information so it is not always usefull, sometimes more confusing and missleading than helpfull.
japreja

Postby Hooray » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:25 pm

searching the wiki, even just for either of the two terms "fgrun" or "qt5" would have brought up the corresponding articles that summarize the current situation, based on statements made by people involved in the fgrun/qt5 efforts.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Return to New features