Board index FlightGear Development New features

New Weather Scenarios

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

New Weather Scenarios

Postby gsagostinho » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:23 am

Hello all,

As I really enjoy flying the using the advanced weather scenarios, I was thinking we could add some more of them to FG. Here are some suggestions which could be interesting:

Cold sector
Light snow
Overcast (but not raining)

Also, I would like to ask if the Marginal VFR scenario really depicts what the name says. I mean, using that scenario I always get a rainy overcast day with very low ceiling and extremely poor visibility. At around 1000 ft AGL it starts to be a bit difficult to fly VFR, at higher altitudes it gets even worse. Is this really a condition in which people would try a VFR flight in real life? That sounds crazy to me!

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,
Gilberto
gsagostinho

Re: New Weather Scenarios

Postby Hooray » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:23 am

Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby Torsten » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:03 pm

gsagostinho wrote in Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:23 am:Also, I would like to ask if the Marginal VFR scenario really depicts what the name says. I mean, using that scenario I always get a rainy overcast day with very low ceiling and extremely poor visibility. At around 1000 ft AGL it starts to be a bit difficult to fly VFR, at higher altitudes it gets even worse. Is this really a condition in which people would try a VFR flight in real life? That sounds crazy to me!

The limits for flying visual vary from country to country. In Germany and within airpspace G you need a visibility of 1500m, keep the ground in sight and have to stay clear of clouds. That is flyable but one usually does not follow the "direct to" route the GPS suggests :wink:

Torsten
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline
Version: next

Postby gsagostinho » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:42 pm

Hooray wrote in Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:23 am:http://wiki.flightgear.org/Advanced_weather#Creating_custom_Weather_Tiles

Thanks Hooray, I will start messing around with those!

Torsten wrote in Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:03 pm:The limits for flying visual vary from country to country. In Germany and within airpspace G you need a visibility of 1500m, keep the ground in sight and have to stay clear of clouds. That is flyable but one usually does not follow the "direct to" route the GPS suggests :wink:

I see, so that scenario really depicts the very limit then. Still sounds like a no-go to me :wink:. Thanks for the answer, Torsten!
gsagostinho

Return to New features