Board index FlightGear Development New features

Heaven or Hell? Phi sneak preview.

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Heaven or Hell? Phi sneak preview.

Postby daveculp » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:09 am

Very cool app! I have to give this a try.
daveculp

Callsign: DCulp
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby Torsten » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:32 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:40 pm:
eg: when sitting on the runway at KSFO immediately after starting FG, loading the browser, connecting to the /gui/ url and switching to the map tab showed that i was apparently sitting somewhere in the middle of germany (IIRC)... once i started moving, though, the map was corrected...

Should be corrected by https://gitorious.org/fg/fgdata/commit/ ... 620f3e9ed0

Thanks for reporting.

Torsten
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:01 pm

Torsten wrote in Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:32 pm:
wkitty42 wrote in Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:40 pm:
eg: when sitting on the runway at KSFO immediately after starting FG, loading the browser, connecting to the /gui/ url and switching to the map tab showed that i was apparently sitting somewhere in the middle of germany (IIRC)... once i started moving, though, the map was corrected...

Should be corrected by https://gitorious.org/fg/fgdata/commit/ ... 620f3e9ed0

hummm... i have a centralized fgdata folder that currently has "master" checked out since i've been running 3.5.0... git fetch doesn't get anything and the last log entries i see are from feb 28th... normally i've been managing this fgdata with the download_and_compile script.sh... i've centralized it so that other fg-git versions will use the same one and i don't lose drivespace because of duplication so it is linked into each installation's .../install/flightgear/fgdata and the script checks out the one for that update... i think that before i run one of the fg installs, i should check out the proper fgdata for it... currently, i've just been running the "d_n_c" script and then running that version of fg just compiled...

eg:
~/flightgear-dev/next/install/flightgear/fgdata -> ~/flightgear-dev/fgdata-master (script checks out master)
~/flightgear-dev/stable/install/flightgear/fgdata -> ~/flightgear-dev/fgdata-master (script checks out release/3.4.0)

am i doing this incorrectly?

Torsten wrote in Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:32 pm:Thanks for reporting.

glad to help :)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:17 pm

never mind, i reran the script after modifying it to log the git output along with the rest of the processing... i do have the update fgdata as well as several others...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:44 pm

@Torsten: i have found another bug, i think... it might be something with the craft i'm flying (Citation-X)... the bug is in the big map tab with Track turned ON...

1. i take off and get to crusing altitude and speed...
2. after some time, i pause the simulator in mid-flight for some minutes...
3. i unpause the simulator...
4. when i look at the map, there are two blue track lines... one that properly follows the course flown and the other directly from the originating airport directly to the point where the simulator was paused... refreshing the map fixes this and shows only the proper course flown...

i need to pull an update which i'll try to do after this flight from KSFO to KMIA... you might have fixed this already...

also: when refreshing, the map tab also loses my ""settings""... i always fly with the track turned on and i always have to turn it back on as well as readjusting my zoom levels and turning back on any overlays... perhaps this info can be retained in (session limited?) cookies? with limited cookies, the settings would go away when the browser is closed but maybe it is desirable to keep the same settings between browsing sessions?

i also have an idea for a feature... on the map tab, could you project a horizon circle around the craft being flown? i found a "rule of thumb" for the calculation that seems to work well...
Code: Select all
sqrt(7 * altitude(in feet) / 4)
gives horizon distance in miles... i'm figuring this is the radius of the circle... this is the straight line sight to the horizon with atmospheric bending... when i'm on long flights, i flip back and forth between the sim and the map trying to pick out landmarks, cities, and airports... this horizon circle will help to determine if i should even be looking for something that is not yet in visual range...

thanks for this great tool, too!
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:59 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:44 pm:@Torsten: i have found another bug, i think... it might be something with the craft i'm flying (Citation-X)... the bug is in the big map tab with Track turned ON...

bump!

don't know how to get hold of torsten and so don't know if he has seen my report above... can't PM or email his account...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Hooray » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:23 pm

Torsten is among those who are pretty selective about being "reachable" - thus, your best chance is indeed the mailing list, most core developers prefer not to use the forum - while most forum users prefer not to use the mailing list...
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:32 pm

Hooray wrote in Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:23 pm:Torsten is among those who are pretty selective about being "reachable" - thus, your best chance is indeed the mailing list, most core developers prefer not to use the forum - while most forum users prefer not to use the mailing list...

i gather that... i asked him in a previous message in this topic where he preferred to get reports but he didn't respond... then later i made a report and he did respond so i thought i'd make the second report plus a request and here we are... alright, thanks...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Hooray » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:18 am

the issue tracker would be the other option to get in touch with core developers
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby Torsten » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:19 pm

Thanks for the bug report, I'll have a look at this pause-makes-additional-track issue.

The settings of the map should now survive during the entire session, I'll add more of this session store step by step so navigation feels more natural. I am also adding more forward/backward navigation through the native browser buttons.
Thanks for the idea of a horizon line, I have to think about this one.

Sorry for responding so late, I only spend a few minutes a week on the forum. I prefer the mailing list and e-mails and I hate checking multiple communication channels. My e-mail address is in every single git commit, so it's not really hidden ;-)

Torsten
Torsten

Postby Torsten » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:26 pm

Working on displaying engine data, here a side-by-side view of Phi and the running FlightGear instance.
Dual Monitor setup, FlightGear running fullscreen on one display and Firefox running on the other display.

Creating SVG instruments on the fly with knockout.js is sooo much fun!

Each of the of the nine instruments get drawn from the same SVG file, configured only from this code in their parent's html document:
Code: Select all
<dualarcgauge
            params="label: 'RPM',
            marker: {
              '0':    'white',
              '500':  'white',
              '1000': 'white',
              '1500': 'white',
              '2000': 'white',
              '2575': 'red',
              '3000': 'white',
            },
            arcs: [{
              color: 'green',
              start: 500,
              end: 2575
            },{
              color: 'yellow',
              start: 2000,
              end: 2200
            },{
              color: 'red',
              start: 2575
            }],
            min: 0,
            max: 3000,
            interpolation: {
              '0': 0,
              '1500': 0.2,
              '2500': 0.8,
              '3000': 1.0
            },
            left: {
                value: leftRPM,
                format: '%4d'
            },
            right: {
                value: rightRPM,
                format: '%4d'
            }"></dualarcgauge>

Torsten
Torsten

Postby wlbragg » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:13 pm

NICE! :)
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby Michat » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:42 am

Nice job.

Question are you the Torsten who made Seneca ? :roll: (I'm very confused now)

If so I did some textures for that aircraft panel.
http://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22389&hilit=+textures

Cheers.
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby Torsten » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:46 pm

Michat wrote in Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:42 am:Question are you the Torsten who made Seneca ? :roll: (I'm very confused now)

Yes, that's me.

Thanks for the texture, I have just replaced mine with your black version. Much better than my original photo-texture.

Torsten
Torsten

Postby Torsten » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:49 pm

And brandnew:
Display the RouteManager's route on the large map:

Enjoy,
Torsten
Torsten

PreviousNext

Return to New features