Board index FlightGear Development New features

3.4 - 3.5 possible new features noticed

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

3.4 - 3.5 possible new features noticed

Postby wlbragg » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:13 am

Just wanted to say I think I noticed a couple small, subtle, but welcomed, new features or changes from 3.2 - 3.3 to 3.4 - 3.5.
One was the countdown, (or up), when switching time in the Time Settings Dialog. It used to be instant but now is delayed as the time is incremented until it gets to where the user chose. At first I was unsure if I liked it. After using it more I really like it. It give the sensation of passing time rather than an instant jump in time.

Another change that I never noticed prior, was the airport beacon lights (non-Rembrandt). They are much softer and appear more realistic.

One other change that was actually fixed a while back in git but never widely broadcast is the false setting sun. It is gone, fixed.
Major applause! Thank you for such an important bug fix. While these small, subtle changes may go mostly unnoticed by many, by my way of thinking they are huge and greatly appreciated.
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Re: 3.4 - 3.5 possible new features noticed

Postby Jabberwocky » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:39 pm

Just as a "time" thing: It is nice that the time settings jump to an UTC according to the time the user sets, but then, there is nowhere the regular UTC visible and since every event is timed by real UTC ... that can make things iffy. Id there a way for two times (the set UTC and the real one)?
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Re: 3.4 - 3.5 possible new features noticed

Postby Johan G » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:52 pm

Ah, that is an interesting point. I sometimes pull up the time dialog and use "Clock time" which causes FlightGear to use UTC time. Often one would like to fly in other light conditions though.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Return to New features