Board index FlightGear Development New features

Ships

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Ships

Postby chrisb » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:56 pm

Hooray wrote in Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:47 pm: it is far too common for us to discourage newcomers by giving out unsolicited "architectural advice" and a ton of optimization hints, despite the effort not even having reached the "alpha" stage - which often enough meant that we'd kill off interesting efforts because we tend to see more boundaries, issues and challenges than "opportunities".

This along with other points raised is what limits such games, I've always considers features over polish to make a better game. Numerous examples exist in the real world where crappy looking games even ones with bugs are way more enjoyable then fancy looking highly polished games, when they have a lot more depth or features.
I've got no say in the matter but all suggestions should be encouraged just make sure:
a) its modular, so can more easily be removed if its just total garbage, abandoned, obsolete etc
b) its optional so people dont need to use it in case of annoying bugs, insufficient h/w
c) the work isnt duplicated

I myself attempted to fix several mp chat issues, the end result was abandoned due to issues getting it submitted into fgdata
chrisb

Callsign: cnb123
Version: git

Postby Hooray » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:17 am

chrisb wrote in Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:56 pm:I myself attempted to fix several mp chat issues, the end result was abandoned due to issues getting it submitted into fgdata

Just don't take it personal - most of us went through it at some point, including even people who have now become committers/core developers. You simply need to understand that all of us are volunteers, and the right combination of spare time available + required skills may sometimes be hard to find - I'd suggest to keep trying.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby Jabberwocky » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:00 am

I found yesterday Helija's submarine. It needs of course still a con, but wouldn't that be cool?
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Postby Araner1 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:17 am

Hello, i am just getting into FG but I have been involved in many other open source projects and some of them might even be of some use regarding the topic in question. For example, I first learned about the AIS protocol as an open standard that can be accessed using cheap RTL-SDR (software defined radio) receivers (see http://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-tutorial ... -tracking/). Likewise, and perhaps even more relevant to FG devs, a similar method can be used to track local air traffic using an RTL-SDR with a Raspberry Pi to monitor local transmissions and to feed the data via planeplotter to FlightAware- https://ferrancasanovas.wordpress.com/2 ... tallation/. Has anything like this, involving real-time air traffic feeds as a layer in the FG simulator, already been attempted? Live air traffic certainly seems to be a relevant feature for a flight simulator! If so, I imagine implementing a similar feature for AIS would be very similar. If server capacity is a recurring issue then perhaps a crowdsourced solution involving Raspberry Pi's could be organized within the FG community? After all the fact that FG is open source will make it more appealing to people familiar with the RPi/RTL-SDR stack anyway.
Araner1

Postby Hooray » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:31 am

Hi & welcome,

we've seen several experimental prototypes doing this - "fgais" being one of the more prominent (and actually working) examples, which is basically a modified version of the flightgear multiplayer server that injects traffic into the FlightGear multiplayer system - in its original form, the traffic would be provided via web APIs - however, the underlying approach is sufficiently generic to also support other sources.
Ultimately, this got stalled because some of the main FlightGear developers disagreed with the approach on technical grounds, but also because of the fact that this would be merely "passive " traffic, i.e. it would be just there to populate the FG world, without the RL traffic being aware of FG traffic - while also not responding/interacting with the rest of the sim (think ATC).

However, a few other contributors seemed very eager to explore fgais-like functionality for vessel traffic - but overall the whole thing got stalled due to lack of momentum, and because people suggested to re-implement the existing MP protocol on top of HLA: http://wiki.flightgear.org/HLA
So far, HLA has remained "pie in the sky" unfortunately - but generally, contributors are not too eager to build on the existing MP protocol, due to its severe limitations: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Fgms

Subject: Ships
Hooray wrote:HLA is obviously the most proper solution, but just look at all the fgms/DIS related discussions and efforts HLA has killed off, even though it still is very much "pie in the sky" for various reasons.
So, we're very much seeing "the perfect being the enemy of the good", which is kinda why I am hesitant to discuss proper design/architectural advice at such an early stage - otherwise, we might very well already have most of this functionality in place...

For a summary, see: http://wiki.flightgear.org/FGAIS
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Previous

Return to New features