Board index FlightGear Development New features

ATC Chatter

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

ATC Chatter

Postby bilsta1000 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:30 pm

Hey guys, I was browsing the Flightgear immediate goals section and saw the line "Other sims can play random radio chatter in the background. This would be an easy feature to add if someone would take the time to record a set of radio chatter snippets in wav format." so first i thought of recording my own chatter to use but then i realised i only had one voice, Mine. so I thought stuff it and e-mailed the Admin at Live ATC (http://www.liveatc.net/) and asked them if we could use some of their streams/recordings in Flightgear. This is what I got back

Feel free to download and use any streams you like. Just be sure to
give credit to LiveATC.net in your literature and web site.

Good luck.

Dave

So if anyone would like to e-mail/PM me who has some programming knowledge, i can get us a load of ATC Chatter (as i have no life)

Billy
bilsta1000

Re: ATC Chatter

Postby Gijs » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:35 pm

Tobias Ramforth was/is working on random background chatter, based on "closest airport".
I'll send you his email by PM.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby jentron » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:44 am

There has been a random chatter feature in FlightGear for two years. Currently all the wav files are from Heathrow, but the system is in place... Wave files from a US airport could be cool, though.

Enable it through File -> Sound Configuration -> ATC Chatter
Aircraft: F-4E, Cessna 182RG, Fi-156 Storch, Diamond DA20 Katana and Eclipse, Ercoupe, LZ-129, Gossamer Albatross
Airports: CYKF, CNC4, KHIF, 42U, KOXB, 4MD1
jentron

Version: custom

Postby MD-Terp » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:18 am

bilsta1000 wrote:I was browsing the Flightgear immediate goals section and saw the line "Other sims can play random radio chatter in the background.

jentron wrote:There has been a random chatter feature in FlightGear for two years.

Hmm... documentation update, anyone?
Cheers,
-Rob.

"Retired" from FlightGear involvement as of July 2010.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Callsign: N531MD, AVA0025

Postby Gijs » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:10 pm

jentron wrote:Wave files from a US airport could be cool, though.

That's what Tobias was/is working on. I send him some EHAM sounds and he also had KSFO sound files.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Jester » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:50 pm

I wondered if just tuning an external media player to the most appropriate running live stream would be a good idea.
Jester

Callsign: BA996,Rescue1
IRC name: Jester01
Version: GIT

Postby YourDailyTsunami » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:16 pm

Jester wrote:I wondered if just tuning an external media player to the most appropriate running live stream would be a good idea.

That'd be cool!
all the booze is free, airline goin' broke, here come the ladies with another jack'n'coke... :P
YourDailyTsunami

Callsign: Tsunami

Postby stuart » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:43 am

MD-Terp wrote:
bilsta1000 wrote:I was browsing the Flightgear immediate goals section and saw the line "Other sims can play random radio chatter in the background.

jentron wrote:There has been a random chatter feature in FlightGear for two years.

Hmm... documentation update, anyone?

This feature is already documented in The Manual:

http://www.flightgear.org/Docs/getstart ... 9-490004.3

However, it could be made more visible.

Somewhat off-topic: This would be an ideal feature for someone with an FG blog to write about :)

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby itismike » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:34 am

It looks like this idea is stalled. How cool would it be to stream live ATC from hundreds of locations around the world through FlightGear? Just select your geographic location, tune to the frequency, and the API could search the LiveATC.net resources to identify any nearby audio stations.
itismike

Callsign: EZSPIN

Postby stuart » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:02 pm

Hi itismike,

The reason for not streaming liveatc is because it won't match what is actually happening in-sim. For example, if you are lined up in-sim at KLVK, there's not much point in hearing the live ATC clear someone else to land if there isn't actually and aircraft there in-sim. So actually matching the airport you are currently flying at isn't really that much better than the existing ATC chatter function we have - it provides some background noise but not much more.

However, there are two interested development in this area:
1) Durk (I think) has been improving the AI system so that the AI aircraft interact with controllers. This is most apparent on the ground, as they will ask for clearance to taxi etc. At the moment this is displayed as text, a bit like the MP chat.
2) We now have text-to-speech built into FG itself to provide ATIS information.

Your post has made me think that we should look at enhancing the text-to-speech function, so that the pilots of the AI aircraft actually speak when asking for clearance. When I get the chance I'll see how difficult this would actually be. Thanks for bringing this up and inspiring me! :)

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Postby itismike » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:18 pm

Hi Stewart. Thanks for responding. Yes, that does make a lot of sense, but I can see where impersonating a real-life pilot using the live ATC audio stream might be pretty fun too!

I was thinking, since FGFS already has the capability to sync with real local weather, it would be really cool to transmit live ASOS feeds. However, being a volunteer station streamer myself for LiveATC I know that ASOS isn't a channel that many streaming volunteers record. It just isn't as interesting to listen to as real pilots :lol:

However this would fit right in with your AI speech efforts! Have FGFS query METAR data, then consult a look-up table for abbreviations then have FGFS speak out the converted words in a strange, computerized voice. Heck, this might be easier than the pilot speech you're thinking about and would serve as a terrific learning step along the way!

-Mike
itismike

Postby stuart » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:17 pm

Hi itismike,

Well, we already take the textual ATIS/AWOS infmormation and play that using our text to speech engine. Would ASOS give us much more?

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Postby itismike » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:28 pm

Oh that's cool! I haven't found that feature yet so I can't say how different it would be but it sounds like you've already done it. I'll look around to see if I can figure out where that is enabled.
itismike

Postby durk » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:55 am

stuart wrote in Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:02 pm:Your post has made me think that we should look at enhancing the text-to-speech function, so that the pilots of the AI aircraft actually speak when asking for clearance. When I get the chance I'll see how difficult this would actually be. Thanks for bringing this up and inspiring me!

Just adding my two cents here: I am indeed working on improving the integration between the AI and ATC systems in a way that also involves the user's aircraft (see my recent posts in the AI taffic forum). I hope to be able to to make it possible to have an entire fight under ATC control from pushback to parking before the next (2.6.0) release. For this reason, I would very strongly welcome it if somebody could pick up a text-to-speech conversion system.

Cheers,
Durk
durk

Callsign: PH-DRK
Version: git

Postby i4dnf » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:14 am

Durk, festival works fine here. Well it works fine after messing around with it a bit :). I'm using sox's play as it's command, and to take advantage of the audio effects I add a bit of noise to the voices :).

This is the command line option to enable TTS in flightgear:
Code: Select all
--prop:/sim/sound/voices/enabled=true

then just make sure you start festival as server before you start flightgear.

This is my current /etc/festival/siteinit.scm (for festival 1.96, with 2.1 i have encountered some problems :( )
Code: Select all
(provide 'siteinit)
(Parameter.set 'Audio_Required_Format 'riff)
(Parameter.set 'Audio_Command "play $FILE vol 10 tremolo 10 20 lowpass 2400 synth brownnoise mix tremolo 20 5 band -n 1800 1200 vol 0.25 dither -f low-shibata")
(Parameter.set 'Audio_Method 'Audio_Command)
i4dnf
Retired

Callsign: YR-I4D
Version: GIT

Next

Return to New features