Board index FlightGear Development New features

Alternative camera control

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Alternative camera control

Postby Marius_A » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:15 pm

Simple "click-camera". Camera is activated by left-clicking on scenery while pressing modifier (customizable key/button). Previous view is restored by pressing modifier again (without LMB):
Marius_A

Postby Marius_A » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:10 pm

Preview of AI object camera:
Marius_A

Postby mhab » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:24 pm

Hello Marius

About the click camera:
I have tried to do something similar and my experience is (while helicopter flying) I just cannot afford to take both hands off the controls ...
So what I did is (because mouse scenery clicking is limited to left button for the moment) that for some seconds the left button marks a scenery position and if right button is clicked before it outdates this switches to the new position.

This way I need only one hand and the heli doesn't crash while the view is repositioned.

Mike-DE
mhab

Callsign: D-MIKE
Version: 2019.1.1

Postby Johan G » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:39 pm

Those are some very nice additions that some past FlightGear cinematographers would have loved to have had. :D 8)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby Marius_A » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:25 am

"Chainable" cameras (automatic switching of cameras in the same category):
Marius_A

fgcamera problem

Postby fsgam3r » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:04 pm

hello, i cant move the camera using fgcamera, with the right mouse button holding, or even make the movement smooth...

video :

fsgam3r

Callsign: SVA565
Version: 3.4

Postby abassign » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:58 pm

When the moiuse is active, I think it might be useful to include a simple command to instantly switch from the mode of the mouse control of the aircraft to the edit mode of visual direction, but is the key is release, the system returns to the previous visual direction and again in control mode of the aircraft. I think the correct key i could be "Alt-left"... We must avoid crossing hands ;)
This way could manage much better control of the aircraft, as the action of using the right mouse button to change the point of view, normally moves the mouse and then the aircraft changes its trajectory :( Not only that, but missing the return and is not possible to return quickly in the previous direction. This command can also be useful to act on the various switches aircraft etc ...
Last edited by abassign on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2018.3

Postby Marius_A » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:00 pm

Hello,

I reproduced this behaviour by using default FG's mice.xml
It's important to copy modified mice.xml from "../data/nasal/fgcamera" to "../data". I updated installation instructions in wiki article. Thanks for the feedback.

Also make sure that File>Input Configuration>Click right mouse to cycle mouse behaviour (FG menu) is selected.
Marius_A

Postby mhab » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:58 pm

Hello
after I spent several hours to get anything to work again in my FG environment after I tried fgcamera I really encourage to keep compatibility in consideration besides all the fantastic features of fgcamera.

Just to name some points:
I loaded EC130 heli and then ...
fgcamera installed led to the fact that cockpit view was set to 0,0 instead of where the cockpit view was supposed to be
then I dug through a lot of scattered info in wiki and discussions
--> I couldn't find a simple way to disable fgcamera
Then I tried to figure out how to edit the preferences in order to get the cockpit view where it should be
--> not really straight-forward as the XML tags are different to what is FG convenience

So I got some ideas what could make the transition easier:
1) allow a smooth trial phase for beginners: i.e. don't force them into fgcamera without an easy way out
2) how about coesxistence of existing views beside fgcamera view ?
3) avoid that everybody needs to update aircrafts in order to use the new feature

Remark: Maybe existing views were introduced with consideration and maybe they needed quite some brain work, like the camera follow view of EC130 with its own view handler ?

Other thoughts ...

fgcamera for me is - as far as I understood for now - about
- smooth camera movements
- a walk view capability, and
- fancy camera tracks ...

So in a very confrontational way I bring up the following points:

Smooth camera movement: is in fact a very eye candy feature, and definitely a lack in currrent FG
Q: Do we really need a whole new viewing package - parallel to the existing one - just to get smooth view movements ?

Shortcuts: the missing flexibility in FG to change keyboard shortcuts is a great minus in comparison to other sims
all the more it is critical to force new shortcuts on existing FG users ...

What I did first thing in FG is to define my own keyboard setup in order to have better viewing control, and more logic behind keyboard control.
This is in direct conflict with fgcamera settings, which is not unexpected for me, but a problem if it is hard to override
e.g. I use the arrow keys a lot different to what is predefined in fgcamera, and I do it because I really like how aeroflyRC uses them

Walk View: is an interesting option, no question
Q: Is it really necessary to fix a view to be a "walk view" ? It would come in much more handy if it would be possible to switch between normal mode and walk mode.
and b.t.w.: I just don't get it why the default in cockpit view is walk mode ? Maybe I didn't spend enough time reading docs ?

So my intention here is to encourage a very interesting work
but also make a strong point by someone who has been working on improving viewing possibilites for quite a long time ...

e.g.: what I did up to now - and ony in my local environment ... (as I consider myself still in the learning phase ;-))
- function to directly switch to a specific view
-->I assigned these to Fx keys
- function to scroll through "internal" views
- function to scroll through external views
- add an "Observer View" which is like the tower view, but wherever you choose to have it
I need that as I sometimes like to fly like in a RC model sim ;-)
- reposition in Observer view just by clicking where you want to jump to
- Autozoom (adjustable) in Tower View, Observer View, ...

... and I did all that by extending existing code (view.nas)

Mike-DE
mhab

Callsign: D-MIKE
Version: 2019.1.1

Postby Marius_A » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:09 am

fgcamera is a view handler registered through view.nas (therefore it is disabled when you switch to default views); in general, fgcamera does this:
Code: Select all
#dof = 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

final_offset[dof] = headtracker_offset[dof] + view_adjustment_offset[dof] + mouse_look_offset[dof] + dynamic_view_movement_offset[dof] + random_camera_movement_offset[dof] + ...;

setprop(.../x-offset-m, final_offset[0]);
setprop(.../y-offset-m, final_offset[1]);
setprop(.../roll-offset-deg, final_offset[5]);

and allows saving offsets (and other configuration data) to *.xml file. This file should not be edited manually. You do all the editing in-sim by using arrow keys and clicking "save". It is not a WalkView. Its a method to adjust view offsets without editing configuration files.
Marius_A

FG camera

Postby alastairF » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:08 am

Hello there

I have discovered the excellent FGcamera by Marius_A ( http://wiki.flightgear.org/FGCamera ) Easy to install hovever the documentation refers to V1.0 and the one I have downloaded is v1.2 which has an addition to the current camera settings DHM and RND with little crosses next to them . When I click them I get a whole new menu which reminds me of a Synthesiser , with Generators with LFOs etc . I have successfully used the Random one to give "shaking" effects however I would love some more documentation about this feature .

Many thanks

Alastair
alastairF

Postby dtlan201 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:35 am

Page up and Page down doesn't work on FG3.7 , also the mice control . Any solution?
dtlan201

Callsign: MIA0774
Version: 2019.2.0

Re: FG camera

Postby Foxtrot15 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:27 am

Hi, are there any tutorials regarding how to use FGCamera as its interface is not exactly that straightforwards...

Thanks in advance!
Foxtrot15

Callsign: Ice-99
Version: 2016.1.0

Postby FG Movies » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:22 am

What is the Directory of FG HOME?
FG Movies

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:32 am

FG Movies wrote in Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:22 am:What is the Directory of FG HOME?

$FG_ROOT is FlightGear X.X.X/data/
_HOME is C:/Users/You/AppData/Roaming/flightgear.org
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

PreviousNext

Return to New features