Board index FlightGear Development New features

Alternative camera control

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Alternative camera control

Postby Marius_A » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:39 pm

I'm using FG 2017.3.1
At first startup, addon works properly.
After selecting "File > Reset" in simulator, fgcamera does not reload. There are no "addon" node in property tree, however property rules are running.
Marius_A

Postby slawekmikula » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:18 am

Thanks Marius ! I'll take a look at it. I think it is rather in generic addon loading (in this case reloading) code.
slawekmikula

Postby FighterAce » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:30 pm

How would I install this in FlightGear 2017.3?
FighterAce

Callsign: FighterAce
Version: 2017.1.3

Postby slawekmikula » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:11 am

FighterAce wrote in Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:30 pm:How would I install this in FlightGear 2017.3?

If you are talking about addon (git) version there is a quick howto:
- clone repository from https://github.com/slawekmikula/flightg ... n-fgcamera or download it as a zip file (green button "clone or download")
- extract zip (if downloaded as a zip) to a given location. For example let's say we have /myfolder/addons/fgcamera with contents of the repository
- run flightgear with --addon directive. WARNING this is not "additional settings" window in the launcher ! you have to modify windows shortcut or linux startup script for example to looks like this (in linux):

Code: Select all
./fgbin/bin/fgfs --fg-root=./fgdata --launcher --prop:/sim/fg-home=/myfolder/flightgear/fghome --addon="/myfolder/addons/fgcamera"

In essence command line have to has entered --addon parameter with a path to the addon.

If everything is OK then you should see in logs something like "FGCamera: GUI script loaded" and FGCamera menu entry should be available in View menu.

I will later add some information into wiki about generic addons loading.
slawekmikula

Postby abassign » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:29 pm

salve :)

Finally I came out gently from the cockpit of our G91, the program seems really remarkable.

The only problem is using the mouse to change the point of view. The system moves from the control mode with the mouse to that of editing the view, using the TAB key, but in view mode, I see the cursor that changes in shape (and this seems correct), but nothing happens. The view changes only through the keyboard arrows and the PgUp-PgDw keys. I do not have the joystick.

I can not understand where I'm wrong :(
Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
FDM developer of the G91R1B aircraft https://wiki.flightgear.org/FIAT_G91R1B
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Postby Marius_A » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:45 pm

• Did you replace mice.xml in FGROOT? Modified mice.xml is in fgcamera's contrib/ folder.
  • "Click right mouse to cycle mouse behaviour" should be selected in Mouse Input Options dialog (File > Mouse configuration);
Marius_A

Postby FighterAce » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:53 pm

slawekmikula, do you know how I would do this on a Mac? (I run FlightGear on a MacBook Air)
FighterAce

Postby slawekmikula » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:01 am

Hmm, sorry but i haven't touch mac UI. In essence extract addon to folder and change launcher (?) and append mentioned data (--addon=<path>) to executable path. Maybe some web search will suffice (https://duckduckgo.com/?q=os+x+modify+a ... ical&ia=qa)
slawekmikula

Postby FighterAce » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:34 pm

OK thanks
FighterAce

Postby Airliner » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:51 pm

I have it installed at 2017.3.1. and nothing works? I can only have the menu open and set settings...nothinng happens then..... I need help
Airliner

IRC name: Delta77

Postby rominet » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:41 am

Hi,

I'd like to have clarification on the licensing status of FGCamera. The only thing I've seen so far from the author is:
Marius_A wrote in Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:24 pm:Thank you for an offer.

Is it GPL licensed?

Currently, it's license-free.

As far as I understand it, this means that (in most countries) only Marius_A has the right to use and distribute it (useless distribution since no one can legally use it!). If the goal is to give users maximum freedom, then I would suggest the CC0 1.0 Universal license from Creative Commons, which is supposed to be as close to public domain as one can get(1), but applicable to many more countries in the world.

There are other good and free licenses: 2-clause and 3-clause BSD licenses, Apache License version 2.0, the GPL licenses of course (with the “version 2 or, at your option, any later version” clause, otherwise the risk of having something undistributable just because it “links to” a GPL 2-only part is high), licenses the FSF considers as GPL-compatible...

Please express your intent, or point me in the right direction in case I have missed a proper license attribution. I have changes to publish on top of Slawek's work to make FGCamera run out-of-the-box with just
--addon=/path/where/FGCamera/is/installed (i.e., without any installation work apart from downloading the software), and this seems to correspond to a very frequent user request on this forum. But with the current unclear licensing status (unless I missed something), I just can't publish these changes. :?

Many thanks for your work and, hopefully, for clarifying this licensing status.

(1) The problems I know of with just “public domain” being that 1) it is a U.S.A. concept, and as such doesn't apply everywhere, and 2) it is not a license, to the point that some people claim that simply declaring “my work is released in the public domain” doesn't necessarily make it so.
rominet

Callsign: F-KATS
Version: Git next

Postby Marius_A » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:54 pm

Marius_A wrote in Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:16 am:<...>
The code is licensed under GPL2+
<...>

Link to repository:
https://github.com/slawekmikula/flightgear-addon-fgcamera
Marius_A

Postby rominet » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:09 pm

Thank you very much, Marius_A. I've pushed my changes:

https://github.com/frougon/flightgear-a ... /flo-fixes

Ideally, the first commit of the repository would have had only Unix-style line endings, because then Git can automatically detect and convert if users work on Windows, etc. but I'm basing this on Slawek's work, so there is a big “change every text file to LF line endings” commit, and then the actual changes. Otherwise, diffs are very messy with ^M characters (carriage return, aka CR) everywhere.

Pull request here: https://github.com/slawekmikula/flightg ... era/pull/1
rominet

Callsign: F-KATS
Version: Git next

Postby RenanMsV » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:17 pm

How to use the click-camera feature? I mean, what button.

Also theres a few errors at the addon implementation.
www.flightgearbrasil.com.br
www.fgbrazukas.wixsite.com/fgbrazukas
RenanMsV

Callsign: BR-RVD

Postby Timi » Sun May 20, 2018 9:12 pm

Is there a way to slave the view to an object, say the helicopter deck of a moving AI ship for example?
Would love to do videos similar to this in FG:
Timi

Callsign: Jaeger
Version: 2020.4.0

PreviousNext

Return to New features