Board index FlightGear Development New features

Alternative camera control

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Alternative camera control

Postby MariuszXC » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:06 am

And I simply call
$ git status
in a directory I want to check.
This way I can keep those directories where they logically belong, e.g. in myHangar/Aircraft/ or /opt/fg/Addons/, etc.
Works for me :)
INOP
MariuszXC

Callsign: SP-MRM
Version: 2020.4

Postby PlayeRom » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:25 pm

Isaak wrote in Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:26 am:Hi PlayeRom, I'm using your updated version of FGcamera: you've made some very good improvements! I only have one issue: the 'fgcamera has been updated' prompt appears every time I start the sim, even while I have checked the 'do not show this again' box. I'm happy to look into the cause of this issue, but haven't done so yet. Are you aware of this issue or is this something at my side?

Hello, thanks. I don't quite understand what dialog you are referring to. I know there is a "Welcome!" dialog that includes a checkbox "Do not show this screen at FlightGear startup", is that what you mean? In my case, it works correctly.
My SP-ROM YT channel
PlayeRom

Callsign: SP-ROM

Postby Isaak » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:36 pm

Hi PlayeRom, sorry for coming back so late. I've just checked and I have found the issue. It is indeed the 'Welcome!' dialog.

In the file addon-config.xml, line 57, you've added the property to be archived to disable the welcome-dialog on startup, with the userarchive attribute set. In my 'autosave' file, I find this property correctly saved: <PropertyList><addons><by-id><a.marius.FGCamera><addon-devel><welcome-skip type="bool">true</...>

When starting flightgear, this property does however not seem to be loaded from the autosave file, but reinited from the addon-config.xml file, because when I manually set the property to true in the addon-config.xml file, the dialog doesn't pop up, even when I don't tick the checkbox and the value in the autosave file is 'false'.

I'm using FG 2020.3.18 on a Windows 10 pc if that is of any value.

For me the issue is now solved by editing the config file, but I understand that's not a desired approach. It seems that other 'userarchive' properties related to the addon are not loaded from the autosave file, so this might have to do with some permissions issue for addons regarding the userarchive attribute?
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:57 pm

Isaak wrote in Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:36 pm:When starting flightgear, this property does however not seem to be loaded from the autosave file, but reinited from the addon-config.xml file, because when I manually set the property to true in the addon-config.xml file, the dialog doesn't pop up, even when I don't tick the checkbox and the value in the autosave file is 'false'.

this may be a chicken and egg problem... the property is probably being loaded from the autosave but then overwritten when the addon loads... that's my eWAG for the day ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby rominet » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:54 pm

Hi,

Seeing that Isaak reported using FG 2020.3.18, it seems likely to me that the problem is that FG commit 985abe8d431e hasn't been pushed to the release/2020.3 branch.

Edit: the fix is now in the release/2020.3 branch, but not in ready-made FG 2020.3 builds yet.
rominet

Callsign: F-KATS
Version: Git next

Postby Isaak » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:40 pm

And there we have our solution :⁠-⁠D

Thanks for checking and backporting the commit, Florent!
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Postby rominet » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:28 pm

You're welcome! If my diagnosis was correct, the new RC available at https://download.flightgear.org/builds/rc/ should fix the problem.
rominet

Callsign: F-KATS
Version: Git next

Postby Isaak » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:50 pm

I'll give it a spin tomorrow ;)
Isaak

Postby scarymovie » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:09 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm using the FGcamera addon on v2020.3.18. However, it doesn't work well with the CRJ 700. The landing and taxi lights are not illuminating when viewing from the cockpit. And if I don't view via FGcamera view, it is fine. Is it something to do with the lighting config of the aircraft?

Thank you.
scarymovie

Postby scarymovie » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:36 am

scarymovie wrote in Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:09 pm:Hi everyone,

I'm using the FGcamera addon on v2020.3.18. However, it doesn't work well with the CRJ 700. The landing and taxi lights are not illuminating when viewing from the cockpit. And if I don't view via FGcamera view, it is fine. Is it something to do with the lighting config of the aircraft?

Thank you.

Hi everyone. I've fixed the issue. The visibility of the lights are only limited to certain "current-view/view-number-raw" which is set in the ALS effect nasal.

Thank you.
scarymovie

Postby despe » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:15 pm

Hi,

I have a question. I want the camera placed anywhere to follow the plane instead of moving with the plane itself using FGCAMERA. How can I achieve this? (like in tower view, the camera will stay fixed where I place it and follow the plane. I will just look at the plane by zooming in and zooming out.)

Can you help me?
despe

Postby PlayeRom » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:35 pm

It looks like the "world (look at)" option is supposed to work as you describe, but it's also hard for me to tell right now what the author meant. In any case, it works differently, so I guess it is impossible, for now, to achieve what you write about, but I could be wrong.
My SP-ROM YT channel
PlayeRom

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:47 pm

something like the new RCView addon may be what you are looking for but i don't think it has been uploaded to the FGAddons/Addons directory tree yet...

basically, AIUI, one would take the Tower View and change it to position the camera somewhere specific and not change to the next tower in range... i've not used FGCamera in a long time but it sounds like it may be workable with some additional code specific for this style of viewing and following a craft...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby PlayeRom » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:59 pm

Thanks for the hint with RCView addon, I was able to quickly convert such a view for "world (look at)" and it's works. I will try to upload it to FGCamera when I find time.
My SP-ROM YT channel
PlayeRom

Postby despe » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:04 am

Thank you for your efforts. When will this plugin be integrated into FGCamera?

Let me clarify what I'm trying to explain better. Similar to the default Tower View perspective available within the application, I want the camera to remain in a fixed position while its viewpoint follows the aircraft. When I tried using the World (look at) option, I could place the camera in a fixed location, but it doesn't automatically track the aircraft; I have to manually adjust it, which is quite difficult.
despe

PreviousNext

Return to New features