Board index FlightGear Development New features

FPS dependent AA and AF

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

FPS dependent AA and AF

Postby qhfreddy » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:58 am

I am running a GTX 670m (fermi) GPU and at FHD I often have trouble getting usable framerates when near clouds or large amounts of objects. I would like to run with AA on and AF on too, but this worsens the problem of the FPS drops. I am wondering if it would be possible to have the renderer skip (or reduce) texture filtering and antialiasing if the FPS is below a certain value,
Damn flared too long...
qhfreddy

Callsign: AO 1

Re: FPS dependent AA and AF

Postby Hooray » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:12 am

anything that can be controlled at runtime via a property can theoretically be also adjusted ("feature-scaling") by watching critical properties like the fps counter or frame spacing latency. You would need to check the rendering settings dialog if your settings are listed there, and extract the corresponding properties, then register a timer that watches frame rate & frame spacing and detects lag (spikes in frame spacing) and throttle down features. That's basically 5-7 lines of trivial Nasal code, trivial even to people who never looked at Nasal before, once you want to apply some filtering, things get a bit more sophisticated, but still do-able.

forum search query: "feature scaling"

BTW: I am not sure if AA/AF can be dynamically toggled at all, but I don't think so.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Return to New features