Board index FlightGear Development New features

Walking through the Scenery: The portable Walker

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Walking through the Scenery: The portable Walker

Postby rico001 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:03 am

Teleporting idea?
You could have it give you your current location in a nasal script (x,y,z), then have the option to goto that location for the other player.... maybe its already implemented?

DFaber wrote in Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:48 am:
Hooray wrote in Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:00 pm:given that you are planning on turning him into a proper "aircraft": what would be needed to turn that little guy into an animated parachutist for our new osgEarth scenery? :lol:

not too much, Stewart already implemented basic skydiving, but it is by far not as advanced as what you found. it would be pretty cool to actually have controllable skydiving available, hmmm...

... thinking about it, it would be a good thing to be able to "pause" the FDM Computations and control the Position by a script. That way a Vehicle or Aircraft could be carried by another (I think of loading a Jeep into an Aircraft, or carry an X15 by a B52. that way the above mentioned Skydiver could re-enter an Aircraft and hop out again.

Greetings
rico001

Postby DFaber » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:23 pm

Here's a little Teaser for the upcoming Milestone Release of the Walker.

Greetings
Detlef Faber
FlightGear Development:
http://flightgear-de.net

German FlightGear Forum
http://forum.flightgear-de.net
DFaber

Version: GIT

Postby Thorsten » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:57 pm

I love where the mechanic falls off... :-)
Thorsten

Postby Johan G » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:07 pm

+1 on that. Wonderful animations! :)

The only thing that seems too off as far as I am concerned is that the back is straighter than the back of a ballerina. In essence it looks like the walker is leaning a few degrees backward.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby DFaber » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:54 am

The Walker Milestone 4 is avaliable:

Download via Git or at the usual Place:

http://cms.flightgear-de.net/index.php/engoben/91-comdiffen/112-humanen

Greetings
Detlef Faber
FlightGear Development:

German FlightGear Forum
DFaber

Postby HJ1AN » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:00 am

So I just discovered this...............

Can't wait to get home to download it!

Kudos to all those who made FlightGear this fun... you all have my deepest respects
Last edited by HJ1AN on Thu May 29, 2014 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
HJ1AN

Callsign: HJ888
Version: 3.4

Postby Johan G » Sat May 24, 2014 11:55 am

Is this the future?

Slightly more info: ControlVR - Full upper body and finger tracking.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby HJ1AN » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:09 pm

I may have found a problem with the walker.

I installed this other planes, and in the C172p the last, which was yesterday or so. Upon loading up the 172p, pressing "s" just turns the engine once. As in, it goes "hek" and then stops dead instead of "hekhekhekhekhek". But if I toggle the Walker outside, then pressing s does start the engine, and you get the hilarious view of the plane starting up and then running away from you. So far it's the only way to start the c172p with the walker installed. Pretty sure haven't tried editing anything else.

Anyone else got this problem? The other planes I have the walker installed seemed to be fine.
HJ1AN

Callsign: HJ888
Version: 3.4

Postby Philosopher » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:17 pm

Sounds like the key is setting the wrong property in the tree—I get that effect with my joystick too when it sets /controls/engines/engine[x]/starter instead of whatever the regular 's' key does.

Does the walker overwrite the key binding? I would suggest not completely rewriting the binding but instead using two bindings with opposite <condition> tags to switch between them.
Thanks,
Philosopher
(inactive but lurking occasionally...)
Philosopher

Callsign: AFTI
Version: Git

Postby DFaber » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:48 pm

Philosopher wrote in Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:17 pm:Does the walker overwrite the key binding? I would suggest not completely rewriting the binding but instead using two bindings with opposite <condition> tags to switch between them.

The Walker does re-define the s-key. When in Walk- or Walker Orbit View it will make the Walker step backwards and in all other Views will trigger the Standard Nasal Function to start the Engines (the key-Binding from keyboard.xml).

Unfortunately, the c172 doesn't use the standard key-binding and defines it's own Starter function. Therefor it may not work the way it should. However, a mouse click on the starter should also get the Engine going.

Greetings
Detlef Faber
FlightGear Development:

German FlightGear Forum
DFaber

Postby Philosopher » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:49 pm

Sorry, I haven't downloaded your package or tested this script, but I believe it should work once you change a few parameters (the enabled property and the Nasal binding for the walker). It will do what I suggested above: keep the old binding(s), add a new one, and switch between them depending on whether the walker is activated. Here:

Code: Select all
var walker_enabled = "/sim/walked/enabled";
var key = props.globals.getNode("input/keyboard").getChild("key", `s`, 1);
var new_binding = key.addChild("binding");
new_binding.setValues({
    "command": "nasal",
    "script": "walker.moveBack()",
});

foreach (var binding; key.getChildren("binding")) {
    var cond = binding.getNode("condition", 1);
    if (!binding.equals(new_binding))
        cond = cond.addChild("not");
    cond.addChild("property").setValue(walker_enabled);
}

(you can probably apply the same
concept to other keys, just change the binding and the `s` constant on the getChild() call, possibly using a loop over a vector with the values.)
Thanks,
Philosopher
(inactive but lurking occasionally...)
Philosopher

Postby DFaber » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:27 am

Philosopher wrote in Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:49 pm:Sorry, I haven't downloaded your package or tested this script, but I believe it should work once you change a few parameters (the enabled property and the Nasal binding for the walker). It will do what I suggested above: keep the old binding(s), add a new one, and switch between them depending on whether the walker is activated.

That is an interesting idea. However, I wouldn't like to do this in a loop, because the walking stuff is time critical. Currently the walker has a listener which is activated by a property that gets toggled by a key press. It might be possible to switch the listener over to the actual key press alone and act accordingly. I have to think about that.

Thanks for the input

Greetings
Detlef Faber
FlightGear Development:

German FlightGear Forum
DFaber

Postby Philosopher » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:53 am

The script would only be a one-time initialization thing, so a loop would have no impact on performance.
Philosopher

Postby chriscalef » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:07 am

Hey, sorry if I'm slow, but I'm having a hard time getting the walker to work. Am running a flightgear 3.0 install with bombable, in windows, and have been trying to run the walker through FGRun with the --prop argument, as in

config=<Path_to_FG_ROOT>/Aircraft/Generic/Human/Include/walker-include.xml

although since I'm in windows at the moment and let flightgear install itself to Program Files, my current command line argument looks like this:

"--prop:config='C:\Program Files\FlightGear\data\Aircraft\Generic\Human\Include\walker-include.xml'"

(single quotes to enclose the Program Files whitespace since the entire prop line was enclosed in double quotes)

When I run it I can load my plane as usual, but do not get any walker menu with an option to get out of the plane. My menus are the same as they were before. According to the docs, the "prop:config" line should make it work for any airplane, but I tried the j52 seaplane anyway just in case - unfortunately that plane crashes on load, with or without walker being loaded.

I'll keep poking at it with/without bombable and try it in linux, but thought I'd check here to see if there's anything obvious I forgot.
chriscalef

Postby DFaber » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:19 am

Hi Chris,

chriscalef wrote in Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:07 am:although since I'm in windows at the moment and let flightgear install itself to Program Files, my current command line argument looks like this:

"--prop:config='C:\Program Files\FlightGear\data\Aircraft\Generic\Human\Include\walker-include.xml'"

the config option is not a property. Your line should be:

Code: Select all
--config='C:\Program Files\FlightGear\data\Aircraft\Generic\Human\Include\walker-include.xml'

Otherwise it looks fine to me.

Greetings
Detlef Faber
FlightGear Development:

German FlightGear Forum
DFaber

PreviousNext

Return to New features