Board index FlightGear Development New features

FlightGear LiveCD

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

FlightGear LiveCD

Postby noidea » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:31 pm

Hi,

After reading some bits of the site I found there were only a few LiveCD's with FlightGear on it available (with very old versions on it).
I created one using Slax: http://old.slax.org/build.php

You can import a textfile with the following contents:
Selected modules: 3971,1,2,1077,4093,3972,1621,535,3749,3132,1659,2129,3,1517,2116,1569,1292;
Selected language: en;

Your LiveCD will be build and ready to download. It's about 181 MB, and easily fits on a CD.
The FlightGear on this CD is pretty old (version 1.9.1), it shouldn't be to hard to fix an update.

Now: Testing.... Will let you know how and if it works.
noidea

Re: FlightGear LiveCD

Postby Hooray » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:52 pm

Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby noidea » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:05 pm

I didn't know about that one. It's way better actually!
Also, Slax doesn't work using Windows 8 :cry:

So, never mind about this!
Last edited by Gijs on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No useless quoting please.
noidea

Postby jharris1993 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:25 am

noidea wrote in Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:05 pm:Also, Slax doesn't work using Windows 8 :cry:

Having tried it, IMHO WINDOWS 8 doesn't work very well on Windows 8! ( :lol: )

I'm sticking with Windows 7 until something better comes along. (Maybe Mint? :D )

Jim (JR)
What say ye?

Jim (JR)

Some see things as they are, and ask "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and ask "Why Not".

Robert F. Kennedy

“Impossible” is only found in the dictionary of a fool.
Old Chinese Proverb
jharris1993

Callsign: $%^&ing Idiot!
Version: Whatever..

Postby doglet » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:19 pm

It looked like all the FlightGear LiveCD's were very old, so I tried my hand at creating a new FlightGear LiveCD.

Puplet FlightGear, based on PuppyLinux and FlightGear 2.4.0, is available at http://www.corticalcafe.com/software_pupletflightgear.htm .

I've tried it on a handful of systems without issue as PuppyLinux seems very good about loading graphic drivers. The clever persistence mechanism allows you to save settings so that they're available the next time you boot the liveCD.

I'd appreciate feedback on how this works for others. Also, please let me know if anyone can make this available through a torrent to increase download speed and reduce bandwidth demands. Lastly, is there a better place to list this distribution?

I'm not an expert on either PuppyLinux or FlightGear, just a fan of both of these great software projects. :P
doglet

Postby Philosopher » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:10 pm

Thanks for taking the time to prepare this, but may I ask why 2.4? That's still outdated, like two years old - 2.12 is the latest and has many more features and bufixes. (All the better to impress people with ;) )
Philosopher

Postby doglet » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:20 pm

Philosopher wrote in Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:10 pm:Thanks for taking the time to prepare this, but may I ask why 2.4? That's still outdated, like two years old - 2.12 is the latest and has many more features and bufixes. (All the better to impress people with ;) )

Thanks for the heads-up. I guess that shows just how out-of-date the repositories are, and even more so about the available FG LiveCDs. I didn't realize how dated the packages were when I updated and installed FlightGear from the standard repositories.

Well, at least this was a good exercise in building a LiveCD (and still better than the dated FlightGear LiveCD's that I found). I'll look in to getting the new version of FG running, and then I'll update my LiveCD in the very near future.
doglet

Postby sa7k » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:14 pm

As puppy can use packages from ubuntu you could check with saiarcot who builds the updated packages for his ubuntu ppa.
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Ubuntu_13.04_PPA
Also there are new 2.12 packages in debian experimental.
http://packages.debian.org/experimental/flightgear
sa7k

Callsign: LV-EPM
IRC name: sa7k
Version: git

Postby doglet » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:40 am

Thanks, sa7k. These look like perfect places to get a current build. Unfortunately, puppy doesn't use the standard APT based package installation tools, so I'm having trouble adding one of these repositories to the Puppy Package Manager.

My search for help on the issue reveals that people usually find an alternate way to install their desired package (ie, a portable version of the package) rather than add the repo. I wish this looked more encouraging.
doglet

Postby Hooray » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:46 pm

I'd suggest to get in touch with ThorstenB or Zakalawe to get involved in the SuseStudio FG project mentioned above - that way, you can help and update things, which would also come in handy for upcoming events like FSWeekend.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to New features