Board index FlightGear Development New features

Dogfights

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Dogfights

Postby NicQ » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:22 pm

flyer5 wrote:I know that workaround. But what if I wanted to keep realtime track of tank movement as I go to bomb it?

if you could use the TARPS for that, you'd do it through the cameras, and thus through MFD in optical mode and radar display :)
But you can't, it's not combat equipment.

The TARPS is 17 feet long, 1850 pounds heavy, btw

TARPS missions
The TARPS pod provided capability for the Tomcat to conduct a variety of Reconnaissance tasking including:

* mapping (the Tomcat software was also upgraded to assist with this demanding and painstaking mission)
* pre and post strike Bomb Damage Assessment
* standoff oblique photography
* maritime ship surveillance

Note, no bombing :)
It only takes photos, has absolutely no integration with combat systems, on-board or through datalinks with other a/c : it's not a weapon system, period.

I think you're mistaking the TARPS for the LANTIRN system, both which CANNOT be on the same a/c at the same time, the latter being an night/all-weather combat system.

Cheers !
If it ain't broke, break it. How else are you going to figure out how it works ?
Callsign: C-NICQ, amateur FGFS military and aerobatic test pilot, pushing the envelope since 2009 (sic)

FGFS Gallery
Birds Of Gear, a blog
NicQ's Workshop
NicQ

Postby flyer5 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:27 pm

NicQ wrote:
flyer5 wrote:I know that workaround. But what if I wanted to keep realtime track of tank movement as I go to bomb it?

if you could use the TARPS for that, you'd do it through the cameras, and thus through MFD in optical mode and radar display :)
But you can't, it's not combat equipment.

The TARPS is 17 feet long, 1850 pounds heavy, btw

TARPS missions
The TARPS pod provided capability for the Tomcat to conduct a variety of Reconnaissance tasking including:

* mapping (the Tomcat software was also upgraded to assist with this demanding and painstaking mission)
* pre and post strike Bomb Damage Assessment
* standoff oblique photography
* maritime ship surveillance

Note, no bombing :)
It only takes photos, has absolutely no integration with combat systems, on-board or through datalinks with other a/c : it's not a weapon system, period.

I think you're mistaking the TARPS for the LANTIRN system, both which CANNOT be on the same a/c at the same time, the latter being an night/all-weather combat system.

Cheers !

hehe, silly me! :oops:
flyer5

Postby Prince Dark » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:09 pm

Well if there is no want to have a combat version of FlightGear then why have military jets in the regular FlightGear?
Formerly known as King of Aviators.
Prince Dark

Callsign: Hawkbit

Postby jack » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:01 am

King Of Aviators wrote:Well if there is no want to have a combat version of FlightGear then why have military jets in the regular FlightGear?

Don't you realize that this topic has been dead for well over a year? You don't just go around waking dead topics just to shove in your two cents. :roll:

And what do you mean if nobody wants military aircraft? I want military aircraft, and so do hundreds of other people. Military aircraft take way more skill to fly than your giant 787. :x
For Military Aircraft, Scenery, and more, visit http://alphashangar.co.nr/

'Retired' from FlightGear as of July 2011. You can contact me via my website if you'd like to pick up any old projects.
jack
Retired

Callsign: Alpha-J, Rescue1
Version: GIT

Postby skyop » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:02 am

Not to mention that armed military fighters have been in FG for years, and nobody's complained. It's only WMD's that cause controversies.
Aircraft: [ CRJ700-family | DC-10-30 ] Scenery: [ KBFL ]
skyop

IRC name: skyop
Version: next

Postby Prince Dark » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:11 am

jack wrote in Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:01 am:And what do you mean if nobody wants military aircraft? I want military aircraft, and so do hundreds of other people. Military aircraft take way more skill to fly than your giant 787. :x

I would know how to fly jets, I've flown the A-10 Thunderbolt. And what's the point in craft having guns if there's nothing to shoot at?

And I know I'm picking up on an inactive topic, I've been busy working with Greenpeace Virtual. Don't blame me that it's taken this long to respond.
Prince Dark

Postby jack » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:57 pm

:?:

So, you woke up a 1 1/2 year old topic, so you could make what point exactly?

And what's the point in craft having guns if there's nothing to shoot at?

There's plenty to shoot at. There's an addon known as the bombable script, that enables you to create and fight advanced ai aircraft, which perform advanced combat maneuvers and even shoot back at you. I've been looking into modifying it so we can have AI flak guns and SAM batteries too.

Some of us want to see a little more 'action' during our flights. Compared to taking off in a 787-800, setting the autopilot, coming back to the computer in 5 hours, and setting the ILS so it lands itself.

I would know how to fly jets, I've flown the A-10 Thunderbolt.

We aren't specifically talking about the warthog here. Are you saying that because you may have flown one jet, you know exactly what it's like to fly other jets too? Like the MiG-15, F-14B, and F/A-18?

EDIT: Fixed aircraft technicality to help Skyop cope with nitpicking issues.
Last edited by jack on Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'Retired' from FlightGear as of July 2011. You can contact me via my website if you'd like to pick up any old projects.
jack
Retired

Postby Prince Dark » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:23 pm

We aren't specifically talking about the warthog here. Are you saying that because you may have flown one jet, you know exactly what it's like to fly other jets too? Like the MiG-15, F-14B, and F/A-18?

I've even gone on the Seahawk FGA6, A-10 Thunderbolt, NG T-38, and the English Electric Lightning (and the English Electric Lightning is a rocket)

jack wrote in Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:57 pm:So, you woke up a 1 1/2 year old topic, so you could make what point exactly?

More like 1/2 year old, the last post before now was December of last year
Prince Dark

Postby skyop » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:00 pm

jack wrote in Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:57 pm:Some of us want to see a little more 'action' during our flights. Compared to taking off in a 777, setting the autopilot, coming back to the computer in 5 hours, and setting the ILS so it lands itself.

:?: Our 777's autopilot doesn't do that.
skyop

Postby jack » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:13 pm

Fixed. :wink:

jack
Retired

Postby skyop » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:20 pm

None of our aircraft can autoland, including the 787.

I think your assertion that flying a commercial transport is as easy as setting the autopilot and coming back once in awhile to push buttons is complete nonsense. In real life, you have to deal with fuel and payload balancing, constant air traffic control monitoring and commands, weather and turbulence, and a strict schedule from the airlines. None of these, of course, is simulated in FlightGear (or at least not very well). So it's no surprise taking up a 777 (which could have a better FDM) in FG is very easy compared to doing it IRL.
skyop

Postby jack » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:26 pm

I'm only comparing sim aircraft, not the real life ones. Of course a real 777 is much more complicated than the one we have, but in the sim, a fighter like the MiG-15 or F-14B is much more difficult to fly than the 777 or 787-8.

Anyways, I still don't understand why this topic was awakened in the first place....

jack
Retired

Postby Prince Dark » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:09 am

jack wrote in Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:26 pm:Anyways, I still don't understand why this topic was awakened in the first place....

Cause this is my first revisit to the forum in months, and I saw that you replied
Prince Dark

Postby Gijs » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:06 pm

skyop wrote in Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:20 pm:None of our aircraft can autoland, including the 787.

We do have some that (did) autoland, including the 747-200... but that's too offtopic here ;)
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Armchair Ace » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:27 pm

The 742 definitely can't autoland anymore - well, not with 2.0 or GIT, anyway - so I think we really are out of aircraft that can autoland. :(
Member of the FlightGear Flying Club

Current Projects :
Miscellaneous texture and sound work
Armchair Ace

Callsign: G-ATPF
IRC name: ArmchairAce

PreviousNext

Return to New features