Board index FlightGear Development New features

Dogfights

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Dogfights

Postby 2011futuremarine » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:22 am

I would suggest there to be a way to dogfight etc. I don't know of one plane that can acctually fire upon another aircraft and destroy it (in flightgear). Why not have it, a mulitplayer function, on a "military" server, that enables dogfights etc. What do ya'll think?
Aircraft: primarily military
2011futuremarine

Callsign: Dodger4

Re: Dogfights

Postby xiii » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:19 am

That has been discussed at several time on the devel list. Actually this is really not a FlightGear project priority.

Technically it will be very hard to solve collision problems (between submodels, that is bullets and the flying target) over the multiplayer protocol and the way it (the multyplayer system) tries to smooth lag artifacts. AFAIK nobody works on this part as there are plenty of more important things to solve first.

This doesn't mean you can't dogfight, however you won't be able to kill any aircraft, but just find a good competitor, chooses your rules and keep sticking on his 6, that's already a good piece of fun !

Alexis
If the engines are Pratt and Whitney, the seats best be Martin Baker
xiii

Postby Fahim Dalvi » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:43 pm

Hi,
I have a nice idea for dogfight ability...although we cant destroy aircraft but....
if i am not worng there is an impact property of submodels....if we make some link between that a nasal popup(like that for airracing) we can know which player hit how many aims...this way a winner could be declared after a dogfight!!!! atleast its basic, but enough for a start!!!
Fahim Dalvi

Callsign: Fahim
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby jano » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:10 pm

keep sticking on his 6, that's already a good piece of fun !

sure! but keep a look on the ground, because sometimes the target's crash may be followed by your's !

Image Image
jano

Callsign: jano
Version: git

Postby 2011futuremarine » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:32 pm

This doesn't mean you can't dogfight, however you won't be able to kill any aircraft, but just find a good competitor, chooses your rules and keep sticking on his 6, that's already a good piece of fun !

Yea, that's what I'm doing now! lol
2011futuremarine

Postby xiii » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:11 pm

sure! but keep a look on the ground, because sometimes the target's crash may be followed by your's !

Beware, Jano is a real dogfight killer !
xiii

Postby MD-Terp » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:13 pm

Well... if you're flying a Tomcat and want to confuse your enemy's radar signature identification, just do what I do and jettison a wing...
Cheers,
-Rob.

"Retired" from FlightGear involvement as of July 2010.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Callsign: N531MD, AVA0025

Postby xiii » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:00 pm

hehe, good point !

Alexis
xiii

Postby YourDailyTsunami » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:47 pm

MD-Terp wrote:Well... if you're flying a Tomcat and want to confuse your enemy's radar signature identification, just do what I do and jettison a wing...

Very efficient strategy if it wasn't for the fact that you could only do this two times :mrgreen:
all the booze is free, airline goin' broke, here come the ladies with another jack'n'coke... :P
YourDailyTsunami

Callsign: Tsunami

Postby glazmax » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:55 am

YourDailyTsunami wrote:Very efficient strategy if it wasn't for the fact that you could only do this two times :mrgreen:

You can eject afterwards, do draw heat seeking missiles away from the plane, now that will really confuse them :shock:

Fly on,
glazmax
XXX pilot of the caribbean - bones and porters XXX
glazmax

Callsign: jettoo/OE-JTO
Version: cvs

Postby Groucho » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:21 pm

MD-Terp wrote:Well... if you're flying a Tomcat and want to confuse your enemy's radar signature identification, just do what I do and jettison a wing...

Yes, if there were still some sidewinders mounted you could at least say you had shot some at the enemy, but did not hit.
Helis: EC130, Bo105, UH-1, R22
Twins/Jets: Aerostar, CRJ-200
Groucho

Callsign: D-HARP
Version: GIT

Postby Jackle » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:53 pm

Hi, I'm currently trying to develop a system for Dogfights. I announced my 'project' in the Aircraft Modeling section http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=4. I am currently hoping to enable dogfights between Camels and DR.1's in FG, but actually working out how to enable dogfights is providing to be quite a nasty challenge. On that note, all help is welcome; even suggestions on which rout should be taken to allow dogfights.

I know that Dogfights are not on anyone's priority list, but the feature seems to be wanted by a fair few people; hence my attempt.
Jackle

Postby xiii » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:57 pm

well as you will see in the other thread you started, I not so pessimistic anymore...

Alexis
xiii

Postby 2011futuremarine » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:06 pm

Jackle wrote:Hi, I'm currently trying to develop a system for Dogfights. I announced my 'project' in the Aircraft Modeling section http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=4. I am currently hoping to enable dogfights between Camels and DR.1's in FG, but actually working out how to enable dogfights is providing to be quite a nasty challenge. On that note, all help is welcome; even suggestions on which rout should be taken to allow dogfights.

I know that Dogfights are not on anyone's priority list, but the feature seems to be wanted by a fair few people; hence my attempt.

Looks great! I hope you can get it going!
2011futuremarine

Postby Jackle » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:51 pm

Where getting there.
My Vickers MG is getting there, I'm spending 5 minutes here-and-there on blender and Ive seen several 'solid' suggestions on how to implement Dogfights. Hopefully, we will see Dogfights in FG between the Sopwith Camel and DR.1. There is still alot of work to be done, with many hurdles to clamber over, but we should get-there.
Jackle

Next

Return to New features