Board index FlightGear Development New features

Audio: Nearby aircraft sounds

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Audio: Nearby aircraft sounds

Postby erik » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:46 pm

Alright, the initial code and configuration files are in git now. 737 emit an annoyingly constant engine sound.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby F-JJTH » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:25 am

Hi erik,

Your work is very interesting. I've tested the sound emitted by 737. But I have heard it only once :cry:
I would implement this feature to the Douglas DC3 C47 (--aircraft=dc-3), can you give me a documentation to do that ?

Cheers,
Clément
F-JJTH

Postby Hooray » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:27 am

Please refer to $FG_ROOT/Docs/README.xmlsound: http://gitorious.org/fg/fgdata/blobs/ma ... E.xmlsound
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby erik » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:20 pm

Just make sure you're light on the number of sound emitters for AI Aircraft, some systems have no more than 32 sound channels available (in hardware) and those are filled up quite easily.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby F-JJTH » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:29 pm

@Hooray : Thanks for your post but I have already an XML file for sound. My question was "how to emit the sound over MP" and not "how to make an XML sound file for an aircraft". May be is my bad English who is confusing sorry for that.

@Erik : Now the 737 AI sound work (it works better when a 737 is near :lol: ) But my problem still unsolved : I can't hear the sound emitted by the Douglas DC3 over MP. I have read your message :
Multiplayer aircraft are nothing more than HI (Human Intelligence) aircraft, or human controlled AI aircraft for FlightGear. So yes, when support is added to AI aircraft it will also work for mutliplayer.

So if I understand : it's not necessary to put the Aircraft in "$FG_ROOT/AI" ? If I fly with a DHC6 near to Douglas DC3, my FG session known how to read the xml sound situated into "$FG_AIRCRAFT/Douglas-Dc3/Sounds/dc-3-sound.xml ?
Or may be I have nothing understand and I need to "convert" the Douglas DC3 to an "AI Aicraft" and ask to a commiter to add it into the FGDATA in order to have the same structure of the 737 ?

Sorry if I'm not clear :? But I'm very very interested to implement this feature on the Douglas DC3 because I have implemented a Dual Control on this Aircraft with 1 copilot and 4 passengers and it will very cool if copilote and passengers could heard the sound of the DC3 since they are in it ;)

Thanks you for your support.
Cheers,
Clément
F-JJTH

Postby erik » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:07 am

F-JJTH wrote in Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:29 pm:@Erik : Now the 737 AI sound work (it works better when a 737 is near :lol: ) But my problem still unsolved : I can't hear the sound emitted by the Douglas DC3 over MP. I have read your message :
Multiplayer aircraft are nothing more than HI (Human Intelligence) aircraft, or human controlled AI aircraft for FlightGear. So yes, when support is added to AI aircraft it will also work for mutliplayer.

So if I understand : it's not necessary to put the Aircraft in "$FG_ROOT/AI"

It turned out I was wrong; Thorsten pointed out to me that he uses the 777 from the Aircraft directory for multiplayer support.
Look for Aircraft/777-200/Models/777-200ER.xml and Aircraft/777-200/Sounds/mp-sound.xml

So to use sound in multi-player you will need to define (a preferably) separate sound file in the model configuration file.

Erik
erik

Postby DLH1548 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:11 pm

I found out a quite disturbing bug in the AI/MP sound volume.

I do like the AI/MP sound support, but I don't want to hear it too loud (when you're in a cockpit of an airliner, you don't hear nearby aircraft as loud as if you were standing next to it), so I put the AI/MP volume a little lower in the Sound Config dialog. After some time however, the AI/MP volume bar resets itself to the level of the Effects volume bar. Which means that suddenly the AI/MP sounds are increased. This is quite disturbing, so I wanted to report this bug.

I use FG git (today's version, but the problem occured allready earlier), on a windows 7 computer.
DLH1548

Callsign: DLH1548
Version: 240

Postby Hooray » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:47 pm

Please use the issue tracker for making bug reports, it's the only safe way to ensure that developers will be notified and may take a look (sooner or later): http://flightgear-bugs.googlecode.com/

Bug reports made via the forums or devel list may be quickly buried under hundreds of postings made each month.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Previous

Return to New features