Board index FlightGear Development New features

Sunny terrain

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Sunny terrain

Postby Quebec » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:08 pm

Hi,

I'd like to wish for a warm sunny terrain in Flightgear: Imagine a landscape illuminated in the summer heat. You maybe don't notice it, but Flightgear has very cold looking terrain. However for many simulators warm landscapes are the default. Of course "direct sunlight" and shadows of clouds could produce even better effects. Imagine scattered clouds and warm illuminated landscapes where the holes of the clouds are, and with some visible sunrays there. :)

Although the full wish would be an overkill of work, the current Flightgear has very cold looking terrain, so here's my "sunny terrain" wish.
Quebec

Re: Sunny terrain

Postby kyokoyama » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:47 pm

Note that your "request" is somewhat misleading, and is simply a problem of aesthetics.

If you go to LOWI (Innsbruck, Austria) with the right graphic settings and the right time of day in the right METER (weather) settings, you can do it.

If you would prefer "warmer" textures, there's alternate textures available in many places, such as the Alternate Texture packages floating around in this Forum, or at Jason's FOSS Media website.
Look for "B-BIRD" "N127KY" or "AVA0004" -that's me.

Despite having over 1700 posts here, I am not even close to being the most skilled guy here... I'm just words and bad drawing, not experience. :P
kyokoyama

Callsign: B-BIRD, N127KY
Version: 2.12.1

Re: Sunny terrain

Postby Thorsten » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:23 pm

Try my Regional Textures - I think you may find them warmer. Or better, insert any textures you like into /Textures(.high)/Terrain/ or hue-rotate the ones in there to a warmer color...

Of course "direct sunlight" and shadows of clouds could produce even better effects.

We are sort of working on this.
Thorsten

Return to New features