Board index FlightGear Development New features

How about a GUI for radar tracking?

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

How about a GUI for radar tracking?

Postby Sealbhach » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:43 pm

I've just followed the video tutorial here and it struck me that it could be easily done with a GUI. The especially cumbersome part is finding out which multiplayer[x] belongs to which callsign. It would be good if the GUI showed all the available callsigns and carriers rather than having to go into each multiplayer[x] folder...

Apologies if it's been mentioned before.
Sealbhach

Re: How about a GUI for radar tracking?

Postby Solidus » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:23 pm

Try FGMap while flying.
Flying the Bone @ KSFO. Callsign SOL117.
Solidus

Version: 2

Postby Sealbhach » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:44 am

Yeah, this is different though. If you track someone on multiplayer, you can fly by autopilot right to them. It follows both the heading and altitude of the target, which is cool. I think it would be a nice thing to have as a GUI, to find your friends in multiplayer.
Sealbhach

Postby Hooray » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:13 pm

Have you tried using the Map dialog? That should be exactly what you are looking for, and if it isn't, it should be fairly easy to extend it accordingly, to come up with a custom multiplayer dialog.

Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby skyop » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:17 pm

I could probably write a dialog for it. Give me a day or so to come up with something.
Aircraft: [ CRJ700-family | DC-10-30 ] Scenery: [ KBFL ]
skyop

IRC name: skyop
Version: next

Postby Sealbhach » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:22 pm

skyop wrote in Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:17 pm:I could probably write a dialog for it. Give me a day or so to come up with something.

That's great skyop, that would be cool. I'll help test it if you like, it's the least I could do. One thing that could be a snag is switching back from tracking mode to normal navigation, not sure how that is done.
Sealbhach

Postby skyop » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:11 pm

A little preview. There are still a couple glitches to work out, but it works! Does the layout look good? :)

skyop

Postby Kabuki » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:19 pm

Another thing that's cumbersome is that the multiplayers can be valid or not. Whenever a new ac comes into range, another multiplayer[x] is added to the property tree. But it is never deleted (AFAIK). The reason is probably to keep from having to re-index all the players, but it means an extra step each time radar has to do a 'scan'. Not that difficult for a nasal script to check for 'valid', however.

Along the same line, the NTPS HUD can display circles around aircraft which are too far away to render. This requires the installation of radar your plane, which is simple enough to do in preferences.xml for all planes. What it does NOT do, that I'd like, is to allow the pilot to select specific aircraft and highlight their marker circle. The circles grow brighter as they get closer, but are always the same size, and they do not interact with the autopilot target tracking, which does not require the use of radar.

I find it somewhat inconsistent that there's always a radar branch in the ai/multiplayer[x]/ property tree, but it's ONLY meaningful if radar is installed in the aircraft being flown.

I'd like to see the 't' key used to select target, rather than warp time. It's one of the most accessable keys on the keyboard, and it's used for a feature that I never use. And sometimes I hit it by accident, and it can be annoying.

What I'd *really* like to see is a "track view" that allows you to look at other aircraft from your current position in the sky. The current "model" view will let you look at other aircraft, but only from some location that's static in relation to the aircraft being viewed. I'd like to be able to "swing my head", in order to get the best possible "feel" for the relative location of other aircraft. But I haven't been able to figure out the view modes well enough to do that.

I've written some hackery that can turn the view heading toward a target via /ai/multiplayer[x]/radar information, but when you start to roll or pitch, it gets complicated and turns your head in the wrong direction.

This could also be *very* useful if it allowed you to target the threshold of a runway, so you don't have to keep going from control to view mode in order to keep an eye on the runway when you go around.
This is a family-friendly saloon. No talk stink.
Kabuki

Location: Usually on the ground, always in the sky, except when underwater.
Callsign: Kabuki
Version: 3.0.0

Postby skyop » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:44 pm

Done! Download this file and save it at $FG_ROOT/gui/dialogs/track_target.xml. Then add the following code wherever you want in your $FG_ROOT/gui/menubar.xml (I chose to put it in the AI menu).
Code: Select all
      <item>
         <label>Target Tracking</label>
         <name>track_target</name>
         <binding>
            <command>dialog-show</command>
            <dialog-name>track_target</dialog-name>
         </binding>
      </item>

Perhaps this could be put into Git?

---

Kabuki wrote in Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:19 pm:What I'd *really* like to see is a "track view" that allows you to look at other aircraft from your current position in the sky. The current "model" view will let you look at other aircraft, but only from some location that's static in relation to the aircraft being viewed. I'd like to be able to "swing my head", in order to get the best possible "feel" for the relative location of other aircraft. But I haven't been able to figure out the view modes well enough to do that.

Actually, I think it'd be doable with a little Nasal or XML autopilot code.
Last edited by skyop on Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skyop

Postby Sealbhach » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:03 am

That looks great Skyop, fast work!

The first question, the "EK226", is that a callsign? And what are all those AC- aircraft? They don't look like callsigns, maybe they are robot aircraft, not human players?

Also, target range, does that mean track a target to within 5 miles or look for targets within a range of 5 miles? I suspect it's the first. Maybe that could be more accurately described.

Sealbhach

Postby skyop » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:35 am

Sealbhach wrote in Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:03 am:The first question, the "EK226", is that a callsign? And what are all those AC- aircraft? They don't look like callsigns, maybe they are robot aircraft, not human players?

Yup, in that screenshot I didn't have multiplayer turned on, so all you saw were the AI aircraft. (My dialog and the target tracker script support both.)

Sealbhach wrote in Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:03 am:Also, target range, does that mean track a target to within 5 miles or look for targets within a range of 5 miles? I suspect it's the first. Maybe that could be more accurately described.

The former. I also added 2 other options in the final version - "minimum airspeed" and "update period."
skyop

Postby Sealbhach » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:31 pm

Hey Skyop I've tested this out in the simulator and it's working really well, a nice GUI and the refresh button is a good feature. There is a general airspeed bug with radar tracking that I noticed before, sometimes the autothrottle shoots up to 2,400 knots or some crazy number like that. It's nothing to do with your GUI, it happens if you do the tracking manually as well. So are you going to submit it to Git as an experimental feature?

Sealbhach

Postby skyop » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:19 pm

Sealbhach wrote in Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:31 pm:So are you going to submit it to Git as an experimental feature?

I've filed a Gitorious merge request here. The ball is in the core developers' court now.
skyop

Postby Kabuki » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:28 am

skyop wrote in Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:44 pm:Done! Download this file and save it at $FG_ROOT/gui/dialogs/track_target.xml. Then add the following code wherever you want in your $FG_ROOT/gui/menubar.xml (I chose to put it in the AI menu).

The dang thing crashes flightgear for me. Today, I learned that *all* the files in /data/gui/dialogs are processed when flightgear loads, apparently. When the file is present, flightgear crashes on loading. When it's gone, it doesn't. I'm using the 2.4.0 distro.

I ran a syntax checker in my editor, and it passed. Beats me.
This is a family-friendly saloon. No talk stink.
Kabuki

Location: Usually on the ground, always in the sky, except when underwater.
Callsign: Kabuki
Version: 3.0.0

Postby adrian » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:35 am

Skyop, is there any chance you could make this work for AI models too?
I'm working on some AI flightplans and I'd like to be able to follow AI airplanes in the same way.
adrian

Next

Return to New features