Board index FlightGear Development New features

Universal FMC powered by Java

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Universal FMC powered by Java

Postby redneck » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:56 pm

I got it working with helis again! I'll be making yet another broadcast to showcase it. It will also act as a sort of video tutorial, since flying helis with this is a little tricky, though not as tricky as flying a heli normally is. After that, I will be sure to upload the latest version.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby redneck » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:10 pm

FGFSCopilot 13 is now available here.
Click here to view a video tutorial for use with helis.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that the latest version has no support for planes that approach at more than 200 KIAS. I am working on a solution now.

EDIT2: I fixed that but found another issue. My margin of error for ILS tracking was too wide. I made it more narrow. I think it should be okay now. I will create a demo broadcast before I release as usual.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Postby redneck » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:42 pm

Hey guys. I just got this great idea! I'm gonna add step climb functionality to FGFSCopilot. It's gonna be a bit tricky to implement, so it will take a while.

Basically, here's what I plan to do. I'm not going to change the GUI at all. I'll change the handler for the Activate! button. This will only apply to jets. Instead of climbing directly up to cruise altitude, it's going to check the target climb rate. If the target climb rate is less than 300 fpm, it will continue climb to the next even or odd thousand, depending on direction and level off. TOD will be calculated based on current altitude target. Then, it will start checking fuel levels. If fuel gets to be less than 25 percent, then it will resume climb again, all the way to cruise altitude. TOD will be recalculated as soon as the next step of the climb begins.

Now, I may deviate a little from this. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to do this. Maybe I'll use some switch statements or something. I may or may not use special voice cues for the step climb.

Or maybe I could do climb in an optional 3 steps. If fuel is less than 25 percent, and target climb rate falls below 300, then level off again, and wait until fuel gets below 15 percent.

These are just ideas for now. I'm using this post both as notes for myself as well as info for you. I've looked forward to the day I'd figure this out. I'm sure some of you guys have too. To prevent the loss of the current new handler for the Activate! button, I will be creating a duplicate of the current one, which I will add the modifications to.

EDIT: Things went great! I was VERY satisfied with the results. Also, I'm cooking up a plan to make a new special ATC edition of FGFSCopilot. What will make it special is the fact that it will NOT be fully automated, allowing you to use it for ATC ops. It will automate climbs and descents to give you the best rate, as well as the extra things, like gear, flaps, brakes, spoilers, and speedbrakes. I will provide links to the very lengthy broadcast, as well as an upload of the new release later today. Right now, it's so late it's early, and I better get some sleep before class!
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby redneck » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:34 pm

I am now posting the links to the FGFSCopilot broadcasts. Like I said, it was quite lengthy. I think I'll a plane with shorter range next time to test out the step climbing next time.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12

And next, I will be broadcasting what I hope to be the last test flight of FGFSCopilotATCEdition.

I still have to run hopefully one more test of the step climb method in FGFSCopilot 15 before I release it. Gotta make sure they're all bug-free this time.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby redneck » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:14 am

FGFSCopilotATCEdition is now available here!
FGFSCopilot 15 will be up in about 3 hours after I complete a final test flight.

EDIT: Looks like I need to make more modifications to the stepping system. I got a worse than normal fuel consumption rate this time. I'm thinking maybe a for loop to have more than just two steps.

EDIT2: Got the links for the broadcast of FGFSCopilotATCEdition!

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

EDIT3: Rather than trying to base it on fuel load, I'm gonna switch over to using a gradual step climb based on N1 values, and see if that works. For example, if 95 N1 is the selected climb power, and the plane levels off at some altitude, and N1 falls below 90 N1, then the plane will start to climb again. I'm gonna see how this works in the morning. Hopefully, I can get better results this way. This should work b/c, as the plane becomes lighter from burning fuel, it will require less power from the engines to maintain altitude.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby redneck » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:00 pm

Got step climbs to work! See here for live broadcast of demo flight, or wait for me to post direct links.

Looks like I had some live viewers. Awesome! Anyway, for those who missed it, here are the direct links.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

FGFSCopilot15 is now available for download here!

As mentioned in the broadcast, I'm finally going to try again at coding up a new, much nicer GUI. I hope it turns out will. I had great results when I tried to make one for FGFSCopilotATCEdition, but for some reason, rewriting a working ActivateButtonHandler turned out to be more than I could handle. But, for this, I won't have to do that. I'll just have to get it linked to FG. Then, I could simply point everything to the new GUI.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby redneck » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:11 am

The wiki page has been updated! Those interested in having a nicer, cleaner, much easier-to-read GUI should go check it out at http://wiki.flightgear.org/FGFSCopilot# ... velopments.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby redneck » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:38 am

Live broadcast now at http://www.justin.tv/redneck1180, showing off the new GUI.

EDIT: For those who missed the broadcast, here's a direct link to the video: http://www.twitch.tv/redneck1180/b/295582217.

Downloads!
FGFSCopilot16
FGFSCopilotATCEdition2
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby redneck » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:46 pm

I have updated my wiki page with new plans for development. Guess you guys thought there was nothing else I could do, huh? If that's the case, you guys thought wrong :P So, check it out!
http://wiki.flightgear.org/FGFSCopilot# ... velopments
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby redneck » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:58 pm

Gonna broadcast the flight test of those updates. Check it out at http://www.justin.tv/redneck1180. If you miss it, don't worry. I'll post a direct link to the video when I'm done.

EDIT: Something has come up. I have to stop for now. I'll finish when I can.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby Hyde » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:23 pm

Hello,

I want to try FGFSCopilot16, but I can not.

> Simply extract to a conveninet location
Really does not matter any place? Should it be under $FGROOT?
>add the command --telnet=9321
I added this to fgrun Executable: input but never start up.

What should I do?
I'm using fedora14 and fgrun 1.5.2 and fgfs 2.4.0.
Hyde

Callsign: N407DS
Version: GIT

Postby redneck » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:39 pm

Alright, I'm back for now. Got stumped on an assignment, so I'm taking a break to do this. Watch live if you can at http://www.justin.tv/redneck1180. Otherwise, I'll post direct links when I'm done.

Things went really bad. I really should have done a few tests before the broadcast. I'm trying to write the fixes right now.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby redneck » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Hyde wrote in Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:23 pm:> Simply extract to a conveninet location
Really does not matter any place? Should it be under $FGROOT?

Nope, it doesn't matter, as it is not part of FG. However, while it is not part of FG, it does depend on FG to run. I have tested it with it on my Desktop with no problems.
Hyde wrote in Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:23 pm:>add the command --telnet=9321
I added this to fgrun Executable: input but never start up.

Okay, so are you saying that FG is crashing on startup? I've never had this happen before. Or, do you mean FGFSCopilot16 is not starting up? Remember that you MUST launch FG first, before you can run FGFSCopilot16.

If you could be a little more specific in describing your problem, the actions you take to try to solve it, and the results, it would help a lot. Furthermore, while I am under the impression that a JAR file should work under any OS, I have no knowledge of any OS other than Windows, unfortunately. I'm glad I got some more people that are interested in this. I hope I can help you get your problem solved.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby Hyde » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:15 am

I first run the fgrun. (FlightGear Launch Control 1.5.2)
Then change Executable: from /usr/local/bin/fgfs to /usr/local/bin/fgfs --telnet=9321 and run 777-200ER but FG never start up. fgrun might not take any parameter.

So I type command /usr/local/bin/fgfs --telnet=9321 and this time FG starts with default c172p and KSFC airport.

O.K. then where should I double click? I double clicked FG but nothing happened.
I'm not familiar with java program so this may be a stupid question but..
Hyde

Callsign: N407DS
Version: GIT

Postby redneck » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:53 am

Hyde wrote in Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:15 am:... and run 777-200ER but FG never start up. fgrun might not take any parameter.
So I type command /usr/local/bin/fgfs --telnet=9321 and this time FG starts with default c172p and KSFC airport.

Unfortunately, due to the fact that those aircraft have custom APs, FGFSCopilot is NOT compatible with them. I've done most testing with the 787, Rallye, and Cessna Caravan. Anything with the generic AP dialog should be compatible, even helis.
Hyde wrote in Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:15 am:O.K. then where should I double click? I double clicked FG but nothing happened.
I'm not familiar with java program so this may be a stupid question but..

This is me assuming that you get icons on a Desktop or some sort of similar interface to work with. In Windows, simply double-click on an icon to open the program it represents. In this case, it would be the JAR file named "FGFSCopilot16". But, since I know you don't use Windows, I'm going to assume you run programs from a terminal command. In that case, it won't be as simple as double-clicking. Sorry to confuse you.
Hyde wrote in Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:15 am:I first run the fgrun. (FlightGear Launch Control 1.5.2)
Then change Executable: from /usr/local/bin/fgfs to /usr/local/bin/fgfs --telnet=9321 and run 777-200ER but FG never start up. fgrun might not take any parameter.

Strange thing is, this is the exact thing I do, only with a Windows file path, obviously. FG runs perfectly fine on my machine, and I happen to know of someone who got it to (sorta) work on his Linux machine. Let's just say it didn't work quite as expected, and I may have a few more bugs to squash, which I can't find any evidence of on my machine. Whether the user was filling in the correct data or not, I do not know, but for the things he claimed were happening, I can only assume he entered the wrong data.

Anyway, I'm currently trying an alternative to getting FGFSCopilot connected to FG.

EDIT: I've found it! Turns out that adding "--telnet=9321" to the executable was just a quick and dirty hack. Here's how it should be done. You need to add the following command: --telnet=socket,in,5,localhost,9321,tcp.
To do this in FGRun, go to the last page, click Advanced...>Input/OutPut. Click New. Select the telnet protocol, the socket medium, the in direction, and port 9321. Since we're using telnet, make sure tcp is selected. And the hostname is localhost. Any frequency (Hz) of 5 or less should be fine. The program is a bit of a good-sized chunk for an addon, and will take a few seconds for each execution. So, if it doesn't seem to want to run at the frequency you specify, that's why. And don't worry if that happens. I've written in latency compensation factors and such to deal with it, making autolanding possible.

Let me know if that fixes the problem. If it does, I will update the README for the next release, which as usual, will be more awesome than the last release.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

PreviousNext

Return to New features