Board index FlightGear Development New features

Universal FMC powered by Java

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Universal FMC powered by Java

Postby redneck » Thu May 19, 2011 2:14 pm

Check out my latest test of FGFSFMC9. This time, testing the voice cues, only at: http://j-tv.me/lmqe3B
Enjoy!
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby redneck » Fri May 20, 2011 12:50 am

Alright guys! The voice cue conditions have had the crap refined out of them. I can't imagine them being any better than they are now. Therefore, I have decided to make yet another release of FGFSFMC. Presenting FGFSFMC9! Click the link below.
http://www.mediafire.com/?bshm3ynq3a49pq8
Oh, btw. There is one slight issue with the exit message. Now, I expected it would say, "Autopilot disengaged. FGFSFMC exiting," before the program would exit. Well, I was wrong. Instead, it just goes, "AHP," and then exits. Maybe some timer listeners would help. But hey. One user reported that he'd like some sort of sound to let you know what the status is, so that he could confidently run FG in fullscreen. Well, I have succeeded in making that. Sure, it's not quite yet perfect, but it's pretty darn close, I think. I'll mess around with adding timer listeners next so that I might be able to squeeze in those last voice cues. I may even squeeze in the climb mode voice cue with one too. I mean, if I could just set a timer, and after waiting a certain amount of time, have some code execute, and then stop the timer, then I could really get somewhere with this.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Postby redneck » Fri May 20, 2011 2:08 am

You know. Sometimes, I impress myself. This is one of those times. Here's FGFSFMC10. A slight update from version 9.
http://www.mediafire.com/?td3rzw4qowcp5xc
Oops. Guess I should tell you guys exactly what I did. Well, I made sure all the voice cues are crammed in there. Now, you will here it say, "Climb mode engaged," when you start your climb, shortly after it says, "gear and flaps up." Also, it actually has a chance to say, "FGFSFMC exiting," before the program exits. So now, there's no uncertainty as to what's going on.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby redneck » Mon May 30, 2011 8:57 am

Hey everybody! It has been brought to my attention that the gear extension height is rather high at about 8000 ft. In my next release of FGFSFMC, I will be giving its long overdue renaming of FGFSVCP for FlightGear Flight Simulator Virtual Copilot, as it turns out that this program does a lot more than what a real FMC would do. Furthermore, I am going to change the condition that, when satisfied, triggers gear deployment.

I was misinformed by an unrealistically functioning system in the 787-8. I found that, if the gear were not down at speeds below 200 KIAS, then the MASTER CAUTION light was illuminated in the EICAS. There were no audio signals, so I had to kinda play around with things to figure out what it was trying to tell me. Flaps were benig lowered well within limits, so it wasn't that, fuel was okay, and the engines were set higher than idle. So, knowing that the MASTER CAUTION light illuminates during GPWS callouts, and knowing that there is a GPWS warning for gear not down, I decided to try lowering the gear. Sure enough, the light went out, and I was well on my way to the airport. I have continued this practice for my entire 6 days and a half hour of flight time in the aircraft with no idea that I was doing it wrong. Only yesterday did I find out, from a small exchange of messages with a RL MD-80 pilot, that the gear are usually extended at about 1800 ft above TDZE. This gives the pilot enough time to stabilize the plane by the time it gets down to 1000 ft above TDZE for the approach. This is a requirement in many airlines. Stabilized means on glideslope, fully configured for landing (gear down, landing flaps) stabilized at approach speed with stabilized thrust...around 1.3 EPR on an MD80. As per request I will adjust my program to lower the gear later, but not at the dangerously low requested altitude of only 1500 ft.

Being that it's about 4AM now, and I'm kinda tired, even though I can't sleep, I'm gonna wait at least till sunrise before I get to work. I have noticed that I seem to have more energy when the sun is up on a clear day, so I'm trying to wait until my level of alertness increases enough that I feel confident that I will not screw anything up when I dive in to tinker around with stuff. Stay tuned guys. I'm, thinking about 3 hours from now I'll have the newest version out, which will have the numbering restarted to try to prevent confusion after the renaming.

EDIT: Due to unexpected fatigue I am way off schedule. I will get it done as soon as I can.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby Johan G » Mon May 30, 2011 8:16 pm

redneck wrote in Mon May 30, 2011 8:57 am:Being that it's about 4AM now, and I'm kinda tired, even though I can't sleep, I'm gonna wait at least till sunrise before I get to work...

redneck wrote in Mon May 30, 2011 8:57 am:EDIT: Due to unexpected fatigue I am way off schedule. I will get it done as soon as I can.

redneck, don't burn yourself out. :!:

I have memories of late night programming (or rather trying to program, as I'm not that good at that), bug-squishing frenzy and the satisfaction it gives. But the loss of strength and concentration the day after can be a burden. :?

It's nice when one's head really get going, but don't forget the rest of your body... :wink:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Hooray » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:58 pm

Johan G wrote in Mon May 30, 2011 8:16 pm:I have memories of late night programming (or rather trying to program, as I'm not that good at that), bug-squishing frenzy and the satisfaction it gives. But the loss of strength and concentration the day after can be a burden. :?

It's nice when one's head really get going, but don't forget the rest of your body... :wink:

There's truth to that ... also, there's now plenty of information hidden in rather sizable postings, it might be a better idea to add a new page to the wiki, where you can add all the latest news/info, including download/demo links. It should be fairly simple to get started, just by copying/pasting stuff from this thread. Another advantage would be that you could refer to the wiki page in the FG newsletter this way, too :-)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby redneck » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:15 am

Haha. Thanks. Anyway, I've made a small change, which should make flights more fuel efficient. I have yet to test it though, so I'm gonna wait to release it.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby redneck » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:26 pm

Hooray wrote in Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:58 pm:There's truth to that ... also, there's now plenty of information hidden in rather sizable postings, it might be a better idea to add a new page to the wiki, where you can add all the latest news/info, including download/demo links. It should be fairly simple to get started, just by copying/pasting stuff from this thread. Another advantage would be that you could refer to the wiki page in the FG newsletter this way, too :-)

Looks like your post got away from me somehow. Okay, I'll try that. Just one thing. While I now know (if I remember) how to edit a wiki article, I've never created a new one. I imagine this is probably stupidly easy, and I probably look ridiculous asking, but how exactly do I go about making a new wiki article?

As for updating you're info, I have successfully gotten the thing to fly more efficiently, taking an hour and ten minutes to burn the same amount of fuel I used to burn in an hour flying manually. By "manually", I mean controlling the AP myself, by hand. The trick: waiting to be stabilized on final until down to about 2000 ft. By slowing down in clean config, instead of slowing down as fast as possible, I fly longer on idle thrust. The more time I spend on idle thrust, the less fuel I burn. Now, I simply need to fix the sounds to go with the name change. I have finally decided on a new name for it, since FGFSFMC does not exactly fit right, mainly b/c the program is too smart to model an FMC. It will be called FGFSCopilot. I hope I don't have to worry about any other addons and such with similar names getting confused with this one.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby redneck » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:44 pm

Hey guys! I'm about to release what I'm thinking will be the final version. Actually, I do hope to clean up the GUI some time, if I can ever figure out why it's acting up the way it is. For now, I'll just release it as it is, but under the GNU GPL. I hope I'm doing this right. It's gonna have a file called COPYING, which has the whole license in it. Then, it's going to have another file with copying permissions. Anyway, I need to know if there's any special convention for naming the copying permissions file. I don't want to get it wrong. There's enough developers here, so I know someone will have the answer. Once I get that answer, the new FGFSCopilot will be up for download.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby Hooray » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:19 pm

redneck wrote in Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:26 pm:Just one thing. While I now know (if I remember) how to edit a wiki article, I've never created a new one. I imagine this is probably stupidly easy, and I probably look ridiculous asking, but how exactly do I go about making a new wiki article?

This is actually well documented, and there are plenty of people here who know how to do that. So I am surprised noone answered this one: You only need to make up a new URL - for example like http://wiki.flightgear.org/Rednecks_autopilot - if you do that AFTER Logging in, the wiki will tell you that the page doesn't exist and ask you if you want to create it.

Another possibility would be to edit some page where you want to add a link to your documentation (such as the newsletter) and add a new link like [[my autopilot project]] to it. Once you save that, you'll see that it contains a link pointing to an empty document - which (after logging in) you can start adding to.

Hope that was clear enough - otherwise, simply post your question to the "general help" forum - so that more wiki-savvy folks can see it and hopefully help you.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby redneck » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:00 pm

Thanks. That was very clear. I'll try that out soon.

EDIT: I think I finally got that GPL thing figured out. Now, I can finally release the latest version and get to work on that wiki article.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby redneck » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:05 pm

Latest version of FGFSCopilot is out now. Download
New wiki page up as well.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby redneck » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:00 am

Hope you guys have no problems with me resurrecting my own old topic. Like I mentioned in the new, leaving, returning topic, I've made some changes to FGFSCopilot. I thought I'd give you guys a taste of what's to come. Unfortunately, things didn't end too well. I will have to investigate that.

EDIT: Testing a Solution

EDIT2: direct links: part 1 and part 2
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby redneck » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:37 pm

Thought I might bump this up, since I have very good news. IT WORKS!!! Now, get a REAL taste of what to expect in the next release. Direct URL will be provided after the broadcast has ended.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby redneck » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:29 am

Latest version now available here. Just note that heli flight automation no longer functions correctly, but I will attempt to fix this later.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

PreviousNext

Return to New features