Board index FlightGear Development New features

Universal FMC powered by Java

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Universal FMC powered by Java

Postby redneck » Sun May 08, 2011 5:11 am

Alright guys. I think I may have just now fixed the autolander. I'm really excited to see how this turns out. I'm also really optimistic about it, so I'm broadcasting: http://j-tv.me/jG4mOM
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby redneck » Sun May 08, 2011 11:04 am

Well.... so much for optimism. Anyway, I bring great news! The autolander is now working flawlessly with at least one plane: The Cessna Caravan. If I've done everything right, it should work fine with nearly any plane. Oh yeah, and here is the proof of functionality: http://j-tv.me/mk7g41

EDIT: It has come to my attention that not everything was successfully streamed to the broadcast. I will make a new, shorter broadcast briefly.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Postby redneck » Sun May 08, 2011 4:25 pm

FGFSFMC2: AUTOLANDER NOW WORKING!!! Take 2
http://j-tv.me/lcc7wq
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby redneck » Mon May 09, 2011 1:34 am

Sorry for the delay, guys. Here is FGFSFMC2: http://www.mediafire.com/?5m5gprm59s40iue

Just a note, the instructions are now severely outdated. I must say, that's got to be the least fun part of making a new program, is trying to imagine I have no idea how to use it so I can write good instructions for it. I'll get to them eventually.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby redneck » Tue May 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Guys! I found the bug which was causing the aircraft to descend too fast. I'm gonna fix it and try to upload a new package now. Basically, I had this formula that determined how fast the aircraft was supposed to descend. Unfortunately, it assumes the airport is at an elevation of zero ft. So, when I fix that, it should support supersonic aircraft as well (what I've noticed so far is, if you exceed mach 1, the faster you go, the farther out from the airport you'll be when the FMC drops you on the ground).
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby redneck » Tue May 10, 2011 10:38 pm

http://www.mediafire.com/?6ngwpobyzni9885
That's the link to FGFSFMC3. FGFSFMC3 is a multiple bug fix update to FGFSFMC2. That is, no major changes have occurred. Just squished a couple bugs. Now, enjoy correct simple route generation, and even flights to high-altitude airports!

EDIT: here's a live demo of it put to the test. I hope it succeeds.

EDIT2: Wow, I'm sorry guys. I didn't mean to not post the link. Well, here it is: http://j-tv.me/jqKHZ1
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby redneck » Wed May 11, 2011 10:31 pm

I have found and fixed yet another bug in the descent rate calculations. I am going to do a live flight test before I release the latest version. The idea is to have at least nearly all bugs removed before I release it. That means, if it fails this test flight consisting of not just supersonic flight, but also a high-altitude destination as well, just as in the last live demo I did, then I will not release it yet. Okay, so 2500 ft isn't exactly high-altitude, but it was clearly enough to make a big difference between the actual result of the calculations, and the result I wanted. Anyway, here's the link to the broadcast: http://j-tv.me/j9T9gW
Enjoy!
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby redneck » Thu May 12, 2011 12:10 am

The flight test went fantastic! However, it has revealed to me that I have nothing in place to make the program exit in time to allow the pilot to land manually, should the aircraft's AP be crappy at tracking the LOC. So, there will most definitely be one more release after this, which will take care of that issue. The descent rate calculations are perfect now, regardless of airport elevation, speed, etc. So, I'm posting the link to the latest version below. Feel free to use it to fly anywhere, as long as the destination is ILS-equipped :)
http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmhu9cpw5b08ip
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby redneck » Thu May 12, 2011 5:15 am

I'll have the latest version of FGFSFMC, FGFSFMC5, out shortly. In the mean time, check out my latest stunt being broadcast live now (featuring FGFSFMC5, of course). Man, I hope it doesn't like run out of tape, b/c this is going to be a long flight. I would have recorded with FRAPS, but it seemed to have been causing problems. So, here it is: http://j-tv.me/iY0THv

EDIT: NVM. I had problems and had to cut the broadcast. Maybe it's an issue with high MP traffic.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby redneck » Thu May 12, 2011 1:09 pm

My stunt didn't go so well..... I'll try once more.
Anyway, FGFSFMC5 is now available here: http://www.mediafire.com/?qbi31l77h9e1cnt
Now, it checks how far off course you are in case the AP isn't tracking the ILS too well, and exits if you are too far off course by the time it decides if it's going to execute the autolander or not. Even features fully updated instructions.
Enjoy!
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby Johan G » Sun May 15, 2011 2:53 pm

Hi, redneck. I'm curious as to what the GUI looks like, and wonder if you could post a screen shot of it's current state. :wink:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby redneck » Mon May 16, 2011 8:20 pm

I'll be posting that video eventually. I managed that stunt okay. In the mean time, I got yet another update. It's a bug fix with a little something extra. The bug was that, in a prop, flaps were being extended way too early. Now, the FMC waits until the plane gets down to a certain speed (it's best guess of max flap extension speed), before lowering the flaps. The extra stuff is that I didn't like the way jets were climbing above FL300 too much, so I made a slight change. Now, climb rate is decreased twice as fast as it is increased to combat dropping speed. Anyway, click the link below to download FGFSFMC6.
http://www.mediafire.com/?mizgoay048ucoic

EDIT: Ah crap! I made a new bug. It's nothing major. It's just that... well the autobrakes are now broken, along with the automatic flap retraction on touchdown. Hopefully, I'll have that fixed soon.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby redneck » Tue May 17, 2011 1:54 am

Johan G wrote in Sun May 15, 2011 2:53 pm:Hi, redneck. I'm curious as to what the GUI looks like, and wonder if you could post a screen shot of it's current state. :wink:

You must not have seen any of my broadcasts. Just b/c they're live doesn't mean they are gone once I finish. They are up for a whole week from the time I finish the broadcast. But since you want a screenshot, I'll be sure to post a screen shot. I will say one thing: it's not very pretty anymore. After FGFSFMC1, I had to change the layout. Well, something went wrong when I changed the layout. Now the textfields are swapped with the JLabels which are swapped with some other things and so on. I had to make it so the text fields say what's supposed to go in them, since the JLabels are no longer of any help. And to top it all off, I haven't gotten rid of the JLabels. So, it's kind of a mess, but man when you hit that Activate! button... it's like magic.

Anyway, I haven't been able to fix the broken autobrakes yet. I'm kinda kicking myself over only releasing runnable JAR files at this point, and no source code, as it seems I have made some extra changes besides the bug fix between versions 5 and 6, and I can't remember what I did. If I could, I could just undo those extra changes and have everything working perfectly. I know it does a lot already, but it would be very nice to have autobrakes on nearly all planes.

EDIT: Screenshots are below.

It seems I made a small mistake in switching from the Instructor station to the FMC. Those who have the FMC will see what I mean when they start it up. The first dialog that comes up will say something like "FlightGear Instructor Console", instead of "FlightGear Universal FMC". I just now changed that.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby redneck » Wed May 18, 2011 3:04 pm

I got the autobrakes working again. Enjoy!
http://www.mediafire.com/?0144mxs93emr17x

EDIT: Found yet another bug, and fixed it. Now, I need to test it, but I don't have the time right now. The bug is that, after touchdown, the FMC would play tug-of-war with the flaps. So, I set a condition that the flaps are to be lowered only if the plane is above the ground, rather than just below a certain speed.
Btw, I sent this to a friend, and he was having some problems. Please report all bugs here. Bug reports must include specific phase of flight, as well as location, active nav1 freq, and any info entered into the FMC. I will be testing and releasing another version as soon as I can.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby redneck » Wed May 18, 2011 11:54 pm

And the latest bug has been fixed.
http://www.mediafire.com/?656320x4p6konyk
Hopefully, that's it for the bug fixes. At this time, I do not see any problems with its functioning. Next, I think I may add sounds, as suggested by a friend, so that pilots can fly (or at least watch ;)) confidently in fullscreen. The purpose for adding sounds is to help the pilot maintain awareness of what the FMC is doing. This is what the status textfield was originally for, however, nothing new prints to it after the Activate! button is clicked. Now, I just have to decide how I should go about this. I could maybe have it go ding dong when it is activated, and then ding ding ding when it exits, or I could use voice cues for not only those events, but also each phase of flight. I'm kinda leaning towards voice cues.

EDIT: Don't get too hopeful about those audio cues. I can't seem to get them to work.

EDIT2: Alright guys. I now permit you to become hopeful for audio cues again. In other words, I have found the problem, and am, of course, attempting to solve it. The problem: The FMC cannot find the sound files. The bad solution: direct it to the sound files on my desktop. This will make it impossible to have sound cues without first editing the source code. The other solution: find some other way to make them visible within the project. If I implement this solution, then no changes to the source code need to be made for each unique user. I'm going to try implementing "the other solution". Now, I've noticed some issues with the sound cues, so while I originally planned on having about a dozen of them, only about half of them will be able to be used for now. The reason is... well, I better give an example. Let's say we want the thing to say, "Cruise mode engaged," when we reach cruising altitude and switch over to altitude hold mode. Well, guess what condition determines whether the aircraft is in cruise mode or not. The aircraft must be at an altitude of at least 50 ft lower than the cruising altitude. Guess what. The aircraft will satisfy this condition for at least one-third of the flight's duration, meaning, it will repeatedly say, "Cruise mode engaged," for at least 15 minutes, nonstop, until you lose your mind, and even then, it just won't stop until that condition is no longer satisfied. Idk about you guys, but imo, this is something I want to avoid. Us virtual pilots need to keep our sanity - at least for the entire duration of the flight. We can start riding pink elephants up the upside-down waterfalls and into the rainbow caves after we're done ;) Anyway, I'm gonna pack in as much as I can, but it will probably be less than half the things I originally had planned.

EDIT3: Well, I managed to fix the FileNotFoundException I was getting thrown at me. Furthermore, I've made sure we won't go insane during our flights, at least not by my own actions. The voice cues are not guaranteed to not repeat, but they are guaranteed to repeat (if they do) only a few times. I'm gonna do another test flight with this, which I'll probably broadcast, before I release the latest version with the voice cues.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

PreviousNext

Return to New features