Board index FlightGear Development New features

Universal FMC powered by Java

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Universal FMC powered by Java

Postby Hyde » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:26 am

Hyde wrote:... and run 777-200ER but FG never start up. fgrun might not take any parameter.
So I type command /usr/local/bin/fgfs --telnet=9321 and this time FG starts with default c172p and KSFC airport.

Unfortunately, due to the fact that those aircraft have custom APs, FGFSCopilot is NOT compatible with them. I've done most testing with the 787, Rallye, and Cessna Caravan. Anything with the generic AP dialog should be compatible, even helis.

That's bad. I think 777-200ER's autopilot is the most realistic one. Other autopilot is just to fly easy. That's why I am sticking to 777 autopilot. Please consider to make interface to it. Until then, I will use 787 autopilot anyway.

I first run the fgrun. (FlightGear Launch Control 1.5.2)
Then change Executable: from /usr/local/bin/fgfs to /usr/local/bin/fgfs --telnet=9321 and run 777-200ER but FG never start up. fgrun might not take any parameter.
This is me assuming that you get icons on a Desktop or some sort of similar interface to work with. In Windows, simply double-click on an icon to open the program it represents. In this case, it would be the JAR file named "FGFSCopilot16". But, since I know you don't use Windows, I'm going to assume you run programs from a terminal command. In that case, it won't be as simple as double-clicking. Sorry to confuse you.

Yes, "FGFSCopilot16.jar" is a simple compressed file in Fedora. Let me know how to run this file. Do I need an application to run it?

EDIT: I've found it! Turns out that adding "--telnet=9321" to the executable was just a quick and dirty hack. Here's how it should be done. You need to add the following command: --telnet=socket,in,5,localhost,9321,tcp.
To do this in FGRun, go to the last page, click Advanced...>Input/OutPut. Click New. Select the telnet protocol, the socket medium, the in direction, and port 9321. Since we're using telnet, make sure tcp is selected. And the hostname is localhost. Any frequency (Hz) of 5 or less should be fine. The program is a bit of a good-sized chunk for an addon, and will take a few seconds for each execution. So, if it doesn't seem to want to run at the frequency you specify, that's why. And don't worry if that happens. I've written in latency compensation factors and such to deal with it, making autolanding possible.

My fgrun does not have telnet protocol. I found "Show command line" in the last page and I copied it and made shell with "--telnet=9321". It works. Now I can start up FG with that parameter.
You can ask to add your parameter in the fgrun.

Anyway I can run FG now. please let me know how to run your java application.

--Edit
I found to run jar file.
$java -jar FGFSCopilot16.jar

I will report how is it going later. Let me sleep. Thank your help. :D
Hyde

Callsign: N407DS
Version: GIT

Postby redneck » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:19 pm

Hyde wrote in Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:26 am:That's bad. I think 777-200ER's autopilot is the most realistic one. Other autopilot is just to fly easy.

I guess the 777-200ER HAS changed a lot since I last flown it. Before, the AP would just go in circles regardless of what I dialed in to and activated. Anyway, having a realistic AP already kinda defeats the purpose of this enhancement. I'm glad you managed to get it to work. I never would have known how to start it from the terminal in Fedora.

EDIT: I see you're using an old version of FGRun. Mine is version 1.6.0. It comes with FG 2.4.0.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby redneck » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:04 am

Tune in to see the latest features you will find in FGFSCopilot 17 and FGFSCopilotATCEdition 3 at http://www.justin.tv/redneck1180. If you miss, don't worry. I'll post direct links as usual when I'm finished.
EDIT: I may decide to postpone release until the new features are complete.

And here are the direct links:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

NEW RELEASES!

FGFSCopilot 17
FGFSCopilotATCEdition 3

EDIT: There's a slight issue flying props on FGFSCopilot 17. It occurs if you set the second too last waypoint close to the last waypoint. What happens is the plane will not slow down until it has reached the second to last waypoint. I have corrected this, and will release the corrected version tomorrow.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Postby redneck » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:22 pm

BUG FIX RELEASE!

FGFSCopilot 17
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby SirPilotOfAviation » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:05 pm

Where do I download it from
THERE IS NO SPORT EQUAL TO THAT WHICH AVIATORS ENJOY WHILE BEING CARRIED THROUGH THE AIR ON GREAT WHITE WINGS.
» WILBUR WRIGHT
SirPilotOfAviation

Callsign: N420QG
Version: Latest

Postby Johan G » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:54 pm

Considering that there do not seem to have been any updates during the last 6 years, it might turn to not be available. :|
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Michat » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:58 pm

Michat

Version: 191b

Postby ObeliskTD » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:49 pm

Good day everyone, I hope we all had a good weekend and a good Monday!

I'm a friend of redneck, the guy behind the project in this thread. I wanted to drop a post here on his behalf since I imagine people are probably still wondering what happened to him and this project after all these years. redneck has been dealing with a lot, and as a result has been unable to work on FGFSCopilot at any point over the past few years.

First thing:
@Michat - redneck says hi! He also wanted me to let you know that he tried the 787-8, and it no longer works with FGFSCopilot.

Second thing:
redneck has very recently dug up his old code and has decided to send it off with a series of videos documenting it. The code is so old at this point that he had to dig to find a couple of planes that would work with it.
Video links are here:
FGFSCopilot Standard w/prop plane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSSk7Kw0_TY
FGFSCopilot SuperSpeed w/prop plane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOUL55osvFI
FGFSCopilot SuperSpeed w/ jet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWuFXen9jb8
*FGFSCopilot experimental step climbing w/CRJ-200: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-VC7i0HCQY

*This feature was implemented on 2nd July 2021.

redneck doesn't know if he'll be able to return just yet. His life is pretty complicated right now, so it's a bit too much of a time investment.
ObeliskTD

Previous

Return to New features