Board index FlightGear Development New features

gsc voice server

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

gsc voice server

Postby dan.mcclurg » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:44 pm

hi i started this topic to see what people think about starting a voice server for flightgear using teamspeak i am able to host the server but it probably wont be avaliable 24/7
please post any comments
Last edited by dan.mcclurg on Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
dan.mcclurg

Voice server for FlightGear using TeamSpeak

Postby dan.mcclurg » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:35 pm

I have set up a voice server for flightgear using teamspeak, to set it up simply download teamspeak 3 then in the connections tab click connect, then in the address tab enter 192.168.0.6
make sure the port is 9987 then choose a nickname and click connect. you have successfuly connected to the flightgear voice server. if you have any questions please post them here
Last edited by Gijs on Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please turn off capslock before typing a title ;)
dan.mcclurg

Re: TeamSpeak server for FG

Postby truthsolo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:57 pm

Just FYI, that IP address is a private network on your LAN, only you can connect to it. Also, have you looked into FGCom? It integrates with in-game radio stacks to select frequencies :)
Rob — IRC: truthsolo — I used to run mpserver16.flightgear.org (Kansas City, MO)
Good hunting!
truthsolo

Callsign: C-FBAR, Snapper
IRC name: truthsolo
Version: git

Postby dan.mcclurg » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:11 pm

truthsolo wrote in Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:57 pm:Just FYI, that IP address is a private network on your LAN, only you can connect to it. Also, have you looked into FGCom? It integrates with in-game radio stacks to select frequencies :)

i didnt realise it was private and yes i have looked into fgcomm but no one seems to use it also i heared that the servers had gone down
dan.mcclurg

Postby dan.mcclurg » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:54 pm

GOOD NEWS i believe i have sorted out the private server issue
connect to my server by using the address
192.168.0.6 port 9987 there is no password
if the server is still private please message me and i will try to resolve it :mrgreen: :D 8)
dan.mcclurg

Postby hvengel » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:38 pm

dan.mcclurg wrote in Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:54 pm:GOOD NEWS i believe i have sorted out the private server issue
if the server is still private please message me and i will try to resolve it :mrgreen: :D 8)

No you didn't fix the problem. 192.*.*.* addresses are used for internal addresses behind a firewall or router using a process call Network Address Translation (NAT). This address is only directly reachable behind your firewall/router since it is not exposed to the outside world.
hvengel
Retired

Postby dan.mcclurg » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:55 pm

hvengel wrote in Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:38 pm:
dan.mcclurg wrote in Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:54 pm:GOOD NEWS i believe i have sorted out the private server issue

No you didn't fix the problem. 192.*.*.* addresses are used for internal addresses behind a firewall or router using a process call Network Address Translation (NAT). This address is only directly reachable behind your firewall/router since it is not exposed to the outside world.

right ok im still pretty new to setting up servers if anyone can help it would be much apreciated
dan.mcclurg

Postby hvengel » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:36 pm

I am not a expert on how to setup a server that is behind a firewall. But most routers allow you to set up server(s) in what is called the "DMZ" which should expose these to the outside world. I am not sure how that affects it's address but I suspect that it will have the same address as the router/firewall and that the router/firewall uses the port number to direct traffic to the server.
hvengel
Retired

Postby Chrison » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:01 pm

How you set it up will depend on whether you have a static (fixed, never changes) IP address or a dynamic one. If it's dynamic (i.e. changes each time you disconnect/reconnect to the Internet, you'll have to ensure you're setup to recapture the IP address and broadcast it each time it changes. I'm not sure of the specifics of how this is done, as I have never personally done it, but maybe someone else around here has and can help you?

Hope that's helpful...

Regards,

Chris
"Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat!" (Jackie Gleason)
My final approach announcement: "Seats up... Trays locked... Articles stowed... Seat belts on... And may God have mercy on your souls!"
Chrison

Callsign: Chrison, AVA0066

Postby skyop » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:03 pm

Generally, you set your computer to connect to the network using a static IP address. Then you use the router's interface to forward the appropriate ports to your IP, or just put it in your DMZ. But of course this all depends on his OS, and the router.
Aircraft: [ CRJ700-family | DC-10-30 ] Scenery: [ KBFL ]
skyop

IRC name: skyop
Version: next

Postby truthsolo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:21 am

If a static WAN IP is the case, you can use a service such as DynDNS to link your static IP to DNS.. for example: fgts.homeip.net.

I'm not sure how much bandwidth TS uses, but you need a fair amount and very good Quality of Service to run a VoIP server!

PS: I wouldn't put anything in the DMZ except honeypots and firewalls, definitely not a desktop :shock: just this sysadmins pov
Rob — IRC: truthsolo — I used to run mpserver16.flightgear.org (Kansas City, MO)
Good hunting!
truthsolo

Callsign: C-FBAR, Snapper
IRC name: truthsolo
Version: git

gsc voice server

Postby dan.mcclurg » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:49 am

Thanks for all your comments but i have given up on teamspeak and am now using gsc it can be downloaded here www.getgsc.com. in order to connect to the flightgear voice server you must follow these simple steps,
1: create an acount with gsc
2: download gsc and open the client
3: log in and click the voice servers tab
4 in the bottom left hand corner click "add" and then press the "by searching" button
5: next search for flightgear voice server in the box and hit search
6 double click on the server tht appears and click "add selected to" then click "public voice servers"
7: finaly double click on the flightgear voice server under the voice tab and you will be connected to the server
8: ENJOY :D :D :D :D :D
dan.mcclurg

Re: gsc voice server

Postby dan.mcclurg » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:20 pm

come on people we need more of you guys connecting to the voice server
if you have problems setting it up then just private message me
dan.mcclurg

Postby hvengel » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:14 pm

dan.mcclurg wrote in Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:20 pm:come on people we need more of you guys connecting to the voice server
if you have problems setting it up then just private message me

Most FG users will chose the FGCOM server if they want voice communications since it actually tries to model actual aircraft VHF radio characteristics like range and use of frequencies/channels.
hvengel
Retired

Postby D-SKY1 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:32 pm

dan: I really appreciate your efforts in helping out. Although I assume your initital "problem" not hearing anybody might occur because your used COM1 frequency is either set to a "not used in your range" frequency or indeed you hit the moment when nobody was speaking. You may try one of our air to air frequencies 122.75 or 123.45 as stated in http://wiki.flightgear.org/Fgcom#Using_FGCom
Cheers,
Mike

-- If you want to be understood, you first have to listen! --
D-SKY1

Callsign: D-SKY1
Version: GIT

Next

Return to New features