Board index FlightGear Development New features

Possibility to Save a flight

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Possibility to Save a flight

Postby clrCoda » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:24 pm

Excellent, I look forward to that. I suppose that means my idea has a bit of a shelf life, 2-3 years. :)
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby Hooray » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:38 pm

According to the wiki, this was first discussed over a decade ago, so yeah "shelf life" is a good term ;-)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby Hooray » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:06 pm

Update: ThorstenB has recently committed code to implement this in FG 2.9+: http://www.mail-archive.com/flightgear- ... 38697.html
https://gitorious.org/fg/flightgear/com ... 1b71784575
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby clrCoda » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:53 pm

Talk about dredging up an old topic... :)

But I had opportunity to revisit the RALPH concept recently, and therefore re-read this thread. The thought that crossed my mind is the situation of the flight-recorder during a sim crash. I might suggest that the flight-recorder be designed in such a way that when the simulator crashes, the recorder is available to reset the position of the aircraft on the next load.

Currently there does not appear to be a way to restart the sim and then get to a flight-recorder recorded of the previous flight. That means that I am suggesting an auto-save feature. Possibly such a saved file would be called "lastFlight" or what ever and that lastflight would be saved and available as maybe lastflight_0 in the next load of sim. This would be similar to the current way that fgfs.log and fgfs_0.log work.

If this sounds like a reasonable idea then say so and I will feature request it more formally.
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby Thorsten » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:59 pm

I'll *try* a save feature for the Shuttle, since orbital maneuvering takes more time than we usually are willing to spend in front of the computer.

Maybe we wait for experiences from that one and see whether it can ne generalized and what the challenges are?
Thorsten

Postby clrCoda » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:01 pm

yes, indeed. We wait at any rate. :) Thank you for your interest and best of luck for a successful test.

my best to you
Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby Hooray » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:02 pm

feel free to file a feature request, if nothing else, it will help show support for providing a save/load feature - however, once that is supported, it no longer matters if that's about the whole session or just flight recorder types - the underlying issue is an architectural one, and there's really only a single core developer working towards this, who's been busy with other things (the Qt5 UI) and more recently, also been busy outside FG - so I wouldn't hold my breath. However, filing feature requests and providing use-cases/examples, does help to illustrate that there's interest/momentum behind such developments, so it may help to prioritize things a little.

Also keep in mind that there are FDM-level issues when it comes to continuing a previously saved flight - so these things would need to be sorted first.

In the meantime, you (and Thorsten) could look at the Nasal-based "acm" script for storing aircraft specific state (acstate.nas IIRC) written by mfranz.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Previous

Return to New features