Board index FlightGear Development New features

About submodels and Particles

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

About submodels and Particles

Postby Pat70 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:04 pm

Hi guys,

Well, here is my problem, i need your opinions: i would like to develop a basic and simple Distress flares system, so that a crashed plane or pilot could send a visual "May Day" to other players.
So it has to be shared in mp mod, so far Submodels are not shared ( am i right ?), but Particles system used for smoke is shared !
So what will happen if i use a submodel that will developp smoke using a particle system , the submodel will be used to get the flare and its trajectory while the smoke will provide the shared visual signal. So if it works it sould be possible to get a Distress flare (unshared submodel) climbing to the sky then falling slowly down while releasing smoke (shared in mp ).

According to your knowledge ...Could it work ? Would the particle system bind to a submodel be seen in mp mod ?

Thx for your answers and advices.
Cheers
Pat
Pat (Pat 70 on the forum...) sometimes as Pat2 on the Laptop
Member of the FG Rotor Flying Club http://fgrc.tk/
Pat70

Callsign: Pat
Version: 2

Re: About submodels and Particles

Postby vivian » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:04 pm

Nope - it will work just fine in the your FG, but as you are aware submodels are not passed over MP, so nothing will be seen. Sorry about that.
vivian

Postby xiii » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:54 pm

On the other hand particle effects are shared, ie the contrails or the aerobatic smoke. At least, and for a start, it could be possible to replace your distress flares by a simple coloured smoke. Now the problem is to pass a custom property over MP. Just have a look at the z50lx

After you will have to attach a firework with its own smoke to your aicraft wich is possible as it is crashed (motionless), in this case the firework keep being part of the aircraft and you will have to model the trajectory, but you then enter the woodoo of dirty workarounds ;-)

xiii
If the engines are Pratt and Whitney, the seats best be Martin Baker
xiii

Postby Pat70 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:01 pm

Hi guys,

Thx for the reply,
I didnt gave up with the idea, i was just too busy recently.
Yes i know for submodels, but the idea was to use it only as the one carrying the particle system (that one is shared)...so a shared object generated from a not-shared object= not shared !!
Damn...
thats a bad news.
Anyway , thx for your replies
Pat70

Postby Pat70 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:05 pm

HI XIII, Salut

Ok, i will write it in english even if french is much easier for me.
Yes , i want to use Particle to generate smoke but without something to make them "move" it will just be generated around the aircraft...playing around with the parameter might help but i will never obtain anything better than a big cloud around a crashed aircraft or downed Pilote. The idea was really to get a distress flares (une vrai fusee avec sa trainee de particule...et tant pis si on ne voit pas la fuséé, la fumee suffirait) with its smoke. i dont really mind the submodel, its there only to "Carry" the smoke.
But seems it wont work.
Anyhow , as soon as i will have more time i will give it a try , its not such a big work to create.
Cheers
Merci
Pat
Pat70

Return to New features