Board index FlightGear Development New features

PLIB and OSG

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

PLIB and OSG

Postby Zbyszek » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:58 pm

Hello!

I'd like to ask about diffrent beetwen OSG and PLIB. I've just founded this pictures from 2005!

So, 5 years later we have got OSG and no shadows and no dynamic lights. I don't want back to PLIB 'cause OSG has got better possibilities, so why we aren't using them?
Zbyszek

Re: PLIB and OSG

Postby HHS » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:10 pm

The dynamic lights which you can see on the images have never found their way into official release.
It was just and Add-On, but their have been serious reasons why we never used that.

And regarding shadows- you can use the search function and you will find the reasons for. We had this topic several times.
But as you demand for- why don't you implement them yourself? :wink:
Up, up and away
HHS

Version: GIT

Postby HHS » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:21 pm

And here the discussions about: http://www.mail-archive.com/flightgear-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg06282.html

The problem as always: soemone has to the work. And currently I don't know who is working on that or wants to do.
Up, up and away
HHS

Postby Zbyszek » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:45 pm

HHS wrote in Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:10 pm:. We had this topic several times. But as you demand for- why don't you implement them yourself? :wink:

Yes, I know FlightGear is open-source project - if you want something do it yourself. :wink: I just don't know how to do it, I'm developing scenery. But most of FlightGear users are just users, who want to fly from one airport to second and you can't say to them "why don't you do it yourself.

OSG was implemented 2 years ago and I think it's enough time to add shadows or we haven't got any programmers? And this is next reason why we haven't got many users.

EDIT: thanks for link. I see developers are confused. :P
Zbyszek

Postby HHS » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:27 pm

Zbyszek wrote in Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:45 pm: But most of FlightGear users are just users, who want to fly from one airport to second and you can't say to them "why don't you do it yourself.

No, I can't ? I just said it to show the paralelism "wishing a feature" is equal to "doing it yourself" - do you get what I mean?

OSG was implemented 2 years ago and I think it's enough time to add shadows or we haven't got any programmers? And this is next reason why we haven't got many users.

EDIT: thanks for link. I see developers are confused. :P

Did you looked yourself here in the forum for "shadows"? Fred, one of our shader-writer explained it already.... :wink:
We indeed currently have only one developer active behind graphics in the deep core of FGFS. He was the one who developed the effect systems which allows us to develope shader-effects and make use of them "easily" (create shader, create the .eff-file and just put it into the right folder....). He worked more than a year on it!

To get shadows and lights the whole effects-systems needs another change- which means some work and it needs some time. It is by the way proposed for the GoggleCodeOfSummer this year! Any volunteers? :wink:
Up, up and away
HHS

Return to New features