Board index FlightGear Development New features

Ways of adding functionality...

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Ways of adding functionality...

Postby uglyDwarf » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:29 pm

Hello,
I'd like to ask you guys, what are the possibilities to extend flightgear functionality...

People seem to like nasal most, but for my purposes this in not an option, since I need to communicate with library/program outside of FG itself. I know there is the possibility to use sockets, but it seems to me that people doesn't like this very much.

Then there is an option to directly modify the FG source; the problem with this approach is, that having FG 2.0 out, most distros have only 1.9.1 directly available... And I'm affraid that most casual users won't like to download/compile the whole thing.

Is there any other way I'm missing?
Kind regards,

Michal

PS. In case you are interested, the reason why I'm asking is to find a way to incorporate head tracking for Linux/Mac OSX platforms...
uglyDwarf

Re: Ways of adding functionality...

Postby Tuxklok » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:44 pm

uglyDwarf wrote:I know there is the possibility to use sockets, but it seems to me that people doesn't like this very much.

This is the normal way to connect things to flightgear. With generic protocols it's quite simple to get data in and out of flightgear, and you can even further process that data inside flightgear with nasal if needed. It's simple, platform neutral, and will work on all versions of flightgear.
The Austria Scenery Project - more info
fg-scenery-tools - gitorious | videos
fgcomgui - Open source, cross platform, gui front end for fgcom. more info

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Callsign: Tuxklok / N1292P

Postby Avionyx » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:45 am

Michal,

Have you looked at OpenCV?

I have previously used it for FaceTracking on OSX, I assume it would be even simpler on any other platform.
See this post from a couple of days ago: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10244

Alex
Avionyx

Callsign: G-AVYX
Version: GIT

Postby uglyDwarf » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:04 pm

Yes, I know of OpenCV...
But my headtracking software is of a different kind - it works with TrackIR4 and 5, Wiimote and webcam; it is similar to the freetrack...
If you want to take a peek, look at http://code.google.com/p/linux-track/

The OpenCV way with haar cascade is quite convenient (no need to build LED things), but there are quite some drawbacks - high CPU load and low framerate which also means lower responsibility. In the future I might add the OpenCV, but for now it is not very practical (at least for me).
Kind regards,

Michal
uglyDwarf

Postby Hooray » Thu May 15, 2014 4:16 pm

Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Return to New features