Board index FlightGear Development New features

Ground services !

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Ground services !

Postby Johan G » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:41 pm

Catalanoic wrote in Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:13 pm:Nice idea [...]

Johan G wrote in Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:42 pm:Indeed :)

ThomasS wrote in Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:14 pm:Are your comments meant ironically due to the complexity of jetways.nas?

No, it was not meant ironically. If it in due time would work as well as the animated jetways can work it would be a great feature that probably would scale well.

I do appreciate the complexity of it though. The jetways are complex, need a lot of configuration to work, both scenery and aircraft side, and I think there is a tool for placing them. In addition and to make them usable for scenery and aircraft developers there is also documentation.

As the ground services currently are mostly done aircraft side, there is probably very little commonality between them. The features that mostly are done FlightGear side probably also have rather little in common, as they nearly always was developed as descrete features by different developers. Integrating those in an extensible framework is no small task.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby pommesschranke » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:24 pm

Johan G wrote in Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:41 pm: I think there is a tool for placing them.

yes, the jetway editor is included in FG: AI->Jetways

And we can import jetway locations and headings for at least 340 airports from the gateway.
Here are the ICAO.jetway.xml files (FlightGear format) for anyone who like to use them:
https://github.com/mherweg/Airports

I did not yet suggest to include them in terrasync because at a few airports it will result in duplicate jetways
(AI and non-AI type)
here are more details:
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Animated_jetways

About airport ground vehicles:
A while ago HerbyW and I did a successful Multiplayer-Pushback. The trick was, that one user had set his FG to "hot" and the other not.
--prop:/sim/multiplay/hot=true

At 2 airports I made cars driving around as AI scenario. But such AI scenarios live in FGDATA and are therefore hard to share with others :-( The current GUI dialogue for that is limited.

https://github.com/mherweg/OMDB-fg-Cust ... /master/AI
https://github.com/mherweg/RJBB-fg-Cust ... htplan.xml
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Postby CaptB » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:03 pm

GSX ( for FSX ) uses gate and aircraft configuration to figure out how to position/animate ground services.

Initially those vehicles just spawn near the aircraft, if the gate is not customized they might as well spawn in the middle of the terminal building. If the aircraft is not customized ( no positions and angles for the door ) the vehicles will not approach the aircraft correctly.

The only thing that uses groundnets ( taxiways ) seems to be the followme car.
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CAPTB
Version: 2016.1

Postby pommesschranke » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:49 pm

I just installed the latest Version (1.6) of WED (Wold Editor) and I noticed that you can define parking locations and AI networks for ground vehicles.

Currently we'd need a C++ developer to use this data for FG or a C++ developer that exposes those AI networks to Nasal and then Nasal Code that lets the cars & trucks drive around.
pommesschranke

Postby flycanarias » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:32 pm

Well, good news.
I think we need to do several things connected to the ground services.

1) We'd want to have aircraft-independent ground services. This would require to make them a feature just as the jetways, meaning to make a dialog for toggling them in the general FG program and set the different vehicles. Then we need to program the aircraft for it, meaning to mark passenger doors, cargo doors etc., so that the vehicles can connect to the aircraft.
In this step, they can just appear anywhere next to the aircraft.
2) In the long term we can also set different ground networks for the airports. I think this requires really much time.

A problem also known with the jetway feature is, that very few planes and airports are equipped with it...
So very few people do really use it. We should definitely try to avoid this.

Regards, flycanarias
Canary Islands Custom Scenery
Improvement of the AI Traffic for the Canary Islands Region
RoutePlans for the Eastern Atlantic (Azores, Madeira, Cap Verde, Canaries)
About to open a Binter Canarias VA
flycanarias

Postby pommesschranke » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:32 am

flycanarias wrote in Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:32 pm:2) In the long term we can also set different ground networks for the airports. I think this requires really much time.

It's easy to do with WED.
As soon as it is possible to use WED 1.6 to upload to the gateway more an more of those networks will be uploaded.

A problem also known with the jetway feature is, that very few planes and airports are equipped with it...

looking at terrasync: you are right. Only KSFO has AI jetways.
Here are more details: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Animated_jetways

I have AI jetways for 382 airports here:
https://github.com/mherweg/Airports

I cannot upload them to terrasync because at some (few) airports it would result in duplicate jetways (AI and non-AI)
and at many airports they do not fit exactly to the buildings that we have.
pommesschranke

Postby it0uchpods » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:10 am

I am planning for an advanced ground system that does similar to GSX in my MD-88/MD-90 series sometime. Perhaps I should make it available FGFS-wide?
it0uchpods/WTF411

FlightGear Aircraft Developer
it0uchpods

Callsign: WTF411/Octal
IRC name: WTF411
Version: 2016.1.2

Postby CaptB » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:36 am

@it0uchpods:

FGFS wide is better in my view as it is a generic feature many airliners might use. Same goes for things like RAAS that is discussed in another thread.
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CAPTB
Version: 2016.1

Previous

Return to New features