Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

OpenStreetMap new licensing

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

OpenStreetMap new licensing

Postby jimduchek » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:56 pm

As OSM just began phase II of their relicensing plan, and as I understand it, the OdbL (the new license) will allow us to use their data in our terrain (and redistribute it), and as our current road data is... not that great:

I'm assuming the actual format in which they distribute the data will not change -- has preparatory work begun such that when their licensing change is complete, we'll be able to very quickly put together new scenery with it included? If no-one is on this already, I'm willing to volunteer. Just want to see if anybody is on it.

Jim
jimduchek

Re: OpenStreetMap new licensing

Postby skyop » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:59 pm

jimduchek wrote:I'm assuming the actual format in which they distribute the data will not change -- has preparatory work begun such that when their licensing change is complete, we'll be able to very quickly put together new scenery with it included?

Yup- the tools are ready to go! :D We can even extract railroad and river data.

Soon we will have more accurate roads than FSX. :twisted:
Aircraft: [ CRJ700-family | DC-10-30 ] Scenery: [ KBFL ]
skyop

IRC name: skyop
Version: next

Postby curt » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:34 am

Does anyone know if there's a way to do general wms queries of the open-street-map data? I'd like to be able to fetch a certain range (bounding box) of map, and have it rendered as jpg or png at some specified resolution. I used to be able to grab images from openaerialmap.org, but that server was shut down. I'd like to be able to pull and arbitrary chunk of aerial imagery, but if I could pull an open-street-map image, that would be 2nd best. I was playing around with the server at osm-wms.de and got their demo wms url to work and pull an image, but if I try to change to other coordinates that I am intersted in, I just get "bad request". I could be doing something stupid, that's a strong possibility, but I haven't figured out what that might be yet.
curt
Administrator

Postby gral » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:54 am

Just to add the link for the osm licence plans: Open Database Licence/Implementation Plan

Cheers, gral
gral

Callsign: HB-GRAL
Version: GIT

Postby gral » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:00 am

curt wrote:Does anyone know if there's a way to do general wms queries of the open-street-map data? I'd like to be able to fetch a certain range (bounding box) of map, and have it rendered as jpg or png at some specified resolution. I used to be able to grab images from openaerialmap.org, but that server was shut down. I'd like to be able to pull and arbitrary chunk of aerial imagery, but if I could pull an open-street-map image, that would be 2nd best. I was playing around with the server at osm-wms.de and got their demo wms url to work and pull an image, but if I try to change to other coordinates that I am intersted in, I just get "bad request". I could be doing something stupid, that's a strong possibility, but I haven't figured out what that might be yet.

Hi curt
Are your requested coordinates within europe?
Cheers, gral
gral

Postby curt » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:16 pm

gral wrote:Hi curt
Are your requested coordinates within europe?
Cheers, gral

I'm looking for a way to pull in a background image for a little mapping toy I'm writing in perl-tk. I used to have something working with openaerialmap.org until they closed down that server. I'm not set on using wms, that was just a convenient mechanism that I used in the past.

I tend to want to use this tool off road, so street maps are less useful, but still better than nothing for establishing a background context. Aerial imagery is still the best, but if there isn't anything generally available with world wide coverage I guess I can live with out it.

There is nasa world wind imagery, but I think that only goes down to about 1km per pixel which isn't useful for my purposes. Atlas maps would also be interesting, except I can already draw the airport and navaids in my app, so I'm more interested in real world details to overlay for context.

I live in the USA, so right now I would be pulling USA maps, but I'd like a tool and a data source that has world wide coverage.

Best regards,

Curt.
curt
Administrator

Postby andyramone » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:53 pm

Does this new liscence mean we can use it to get measurements for buildings and also co-ords for placement of objects?
andyramone

Callsign: AVA0088
Version: 2.6

Postby jimduchek » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:22 pm

andyramone wrote:Does this new liscence mean we can use it to get measurements for buildings and also co-ords for placement of objects?

As far as I understand it, yes. I;m guessing too there'll be a lot of work adjusting static models positions (and perhaps sizes) so they don't overlap our newly-accurate roads.

Jim
jimduchek

Postby gral » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:54 pm

Can someone clarify for me why our models needs more 'accurate' positions when we get new layers from OSM?
-gral
Last edited by Gijs on Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please, try to minimise quoting
gral

Postby snipey » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:17 pm

because some people may have placed their objects in a position that looked right with our sometimes faulty scenery. so when a newer more accurate version is made they may be on the road/taxiway/river instead of next to it
snipey

Callsign: snipey

Postby statto » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:17 pm

We have always strongly encouraged all contributors to place their models as accurately as possible.
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Postby El Flauta » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:31 pm

But, sometimes, that means to place objects in sea, floating on air, or in a wrong-sized terrain... all my custom objects are not 100% on place; remember that terrain out of US are not so accurate...
Last edited by Gijs on Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please, try to minimise qouting.
Vive FlightGear! Have you a Ñ on your keyboard? Spain-LatinAmerica FlightGear community!
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

Callsign: CC-FLT
Version: 3

Postby gral » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:53 am

I think we can wait until the new data comes to the scenery/database. Then it is probably possible to write a script to check if a point is on a line or to close to. This way we get a list of potentially malplaced objects. And then we can handout such a list to a new formed UGT ('UfoGeodataTaskforce') with 'Mission XY' :wink:
-gral
Last edited by Gijs on Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please, try to minimise quoting.
gral

Postby SE-HK » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:33 am

With they're CC license, may I now place objects using their map (coordinates)?
SE-HK

Version: 2018.2.3

Postby f-ojac » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:50 pm

No, no until they switch to the next licence, because CC-BY-SA and GPL licence are not compatible. Or you have to generate your scenery following the CC-BY-SA rules. This means, for example, that those objets can't join the central objects repository and so, won't be available through terrasync.
--
If you want to support my Terrasync server, hosted on a private server, you can donate here: http://ns334561.ip-5-196-65.eu/WS2.0/WS ... 2.0.1.html
f-ojac

Return to Scenery