Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

The animated jetway project

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: The animated jetway project

Postby ThomasS » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:08 pm

When I started looking for a solution to the collision problem I came across flag enable-hot for the first time. And I was confused. I found hints saying it should be part of the XML file (the last property). But setting it in a XML file made the model completely invisible.

Greping through the C++ code I found FGModelMgr::add_model@130 , where flag enable-hot is used for setting flag SG_NODEMASK_TERRAIN_BIT. But this code it not reached when enable-hot is set in the XML file. Only when it is set from Nasal in addition to the source path of the XML file and before calling put_model(). And only in that case the model is visible but will not cause a collision.

So according to my tests my impression is that there are two different ways enable-hot is working (plus a possible third way in animations). But, well, I might be wrong.
ThomasS

Version: 2018.2.1

Postby merspieler » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:45 am

You might consider asking on the mailing list....
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler
Version: next

Postby ThomasS » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:52 am

After some more tests I came to the conclusion that the "enable-hot animation" is the key. Though it is possible to set enable-hot from Nasal as I mentioned before, merspieler is right in saying it should be defined in the model. I solved the collision problem by both listing all model objects in the animation AND move the animation to the end of the file jetways/generic[_s].xml:

Code: Select all
<!-- Don't let the entrance rotunda interact with aircraft -->
        <animation>
                <object-name>Support</object-name>
                <object-name>SupportGirder</object-name>
                <object-name>Tunnel1</object-name>
                <object-name>Tunnel2</object-name>
                <object-name>Tunnel3</object-name>
                <object-name>Tunnel4</object-name>
                <object-name>Rotunda1</object-name>
                <object-name>AirlineSign</object-name>
                <object-name>GateSign</object-name>
                <object-name>Gate number 1</object-name>
                <object-name>Gate number 2</object-name>
                <object-name>Gate number 3</object-name>

<object-name>Entrance</object-name>
                <object-name>Hood</object-name>
                <object-name>Rotunda2</object-name>
                <enable-hot type="bool">false</enable-hot>
        </animation>
ThomasS

Postby ThomasS » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:48 am

Being confident that the jetway model should be modified accordingly I submitted a change to the object model database but it was rejected. Rethinking the topic I came to the conclusion that even if technically correct it isn't intended to suppress any collision. After all, depending on the expectation of a user to realism, an aircraft might not touch a jetway without causing harm.

However, in some situation a crash is caused immediately after placing an aircraft at a parking position just because the jetway is too close. But that might be a question of proper object placement.
ThomasS

Postby Isaak » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:03 pm

Hi all, I spent some time today to add jetways at EBBR. You can find the EBBR.jetways.xml here. I also needed to remove the static jetways, as they were interfering with the animated jetways, causing the AI jetways to pop up on top of the static one. The change requires one to replace the ebbr_terminal_2_jetway.ac in Scenery/Models/Airports/Jetway by the one attached here. In that way, the supporting structure and the lamp posts of the static jetways remain, but the movable part is replaced by AI jetways. Is it good practice to modify something in the general Models folders? I was assuming the models there will only be used at the airport in the name, but I 'm not sure if anyone has reused it elsewhere. If this is ok, I 'll ask Torsten if he can commit the changes, but I 'd love to have someone test this out.

For stands with multiple jetways, I worked around this for now by setting the jetways side to side, but if someone has a solution for placing jetways on top of each other (like it 's done in real life at EBBR): please point me in the right direction!
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA

Postby merspieler » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:59 am

When I've done the jetways on terminal 1 at EDDM (not yet published) I came across parking position 113 which has as well a jetway that his higher than the others. I've solved that by copying the jetway model and lifting it up and extending the supports. I haven't got to test it cause I didn't find an aircraft that works with a 3rd door.
Nia (you&, she/her)

merspieler

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:37 am

aircraft with a 3rd door? my first thought was one of the 747s but then i remembered the internal stairs but i know i've seen a few some years back when i used to do a lot more flying... i just don't recall what they were... that was ~40+ years ago, though...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Isaak » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:34 pm

IRL the A380 uses a 3rd door frequently. It has three doors defined in FG, so should be able to use them.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Postby merspieler » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:29 pm

the a380 was quite buggy... i couldn't even connect the first 2 doors... it always said, that it is too far from the jetways... even if I've parked it like 1 or 2 meter away
Nia (you&, she/her)

merspieler

LFML

Postby icare38 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:01 am

Hi,
As i noticed that the LFML scenery has been upgraded (I am not for nothing, thanks to him (or her , unfortunately improbable, lol) who did that, I put (it's very perfectible) the automatic gateways, always the same link:
https://fshare.udtq.fr/dl/ACSds0xjuO5U? ... GO6xB5jjyz

Have nice flights.
icare38

Callsign: AFR2222
Version: GIT

Postby Isaak » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:07 am

Hi all, is there a way to check whether one or more jetways are connected to the aircraft? I'm trying to improve the 777's boarding code and would like to be able to define the boarding speed based on the number of jetways that are connected (as it already does for the number of stairs connected). I did find the jetway models/model[x]/position information in the property browser, but I 'm unable at the moment to determine whether a jetway is connected or not. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it very much!
Isaak

Postby merspieler » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:05 am

Only way I can think of (using the position) is getting one position in models/model[n]/position in the begining and then count how many jetways have been moved by comparing the position
Nia (you&, she/her)

merspieler

Previous

Return to Scenery