Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Scenery FAQ - Read This First!

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: Scenery FAQ - Read This First!

Postby EigerSA » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:51 pm

Like some other posters here, I'm really interested in improving flightgear scenery by modeling my local airports/city/assets but quite honestly am getting so confused by all the seemingly differing options that I think are being worked on. The wiki also seems to be lagging behind, not really being helpful. There's also the issues of terragear and terragear gui (do they work together/don't they work together) as well as terramaster, taxidraw which some say works and others say not and of course this new (to me anyway) and last but not least apt.dat. It almost seems to me that there is no real clear way forward and everyone is doing their own thing? I would love to help but don't even know where to start.

Being the scenery FAQ, can we not have a tutorial on building a very simple runway, editing/creating a simple scenery to go along with the runway and of course integrating everything happily together in Flightgear?
EigerSA

Callsign: EigerSA

Postby psadro_gm » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:35 pm

This page is up to date. It has worked well for me on Linux. The most difficult aspect for me has been gathering all of the dependencies to get all of the tools in terragear to compile.

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Using_TerraGear

A more in depth tutorial on tool usage does sound like a good idea, however.

One of the reasons it was overwhelming for me: There are (by necessity), a large number of tools to handle different formats. The use of GIS tools may bring this number down quite a bit.

for example: Elevation data can come from many sources, and can be in different formats. when we chop and fit this data, we have separate tools depending on the source format. When you decode, is your data in OGR format, or some other vector format. Or (I just stumbled on this recently) is it raster format, etc...

The wiki page I referenced worked fine (the commands work for the data formats referenced), once I got terragear to compile completely.

Pete
8.50 airport parser, textured roads and streams...
psadro_gm

IRC name: psadro_*
Version: git

Postby fraze » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:27 pm

Thansks Gijs.

Here the screenshot:

As you can see, the white texture is adjacent to the new scenery.
There is also a strange step between the ocean and the white texture.

Any idea ?

Thanks !

François
fraze

Callsign: F-MOOR
Version: 2_6

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:48 pm

Hi stuart,
as taxidraw is very outdated, it is maybe worth editing the first post to replace it with WED? ;)
Regards
PS: Nice introduction!
D-ECHO

Postby hardba11 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:17 am

Hello

#1/
I noticed that there are not objects like ikea, carrefour, mc donalds, bmw or wallmart buildings.
Is there a reason for that (copyright on companies's font or logo) or can I modelize this type of buidings ?

#2/
If I want modify an object made by other people, what is the best mean to contact them ?

thanks for your answers ;)
contribs: mirage2000-5, statics models, LFRV - WIP: new aircraft, TFFJ - hobby: world tour in flightgear
hardba11

Callsign: F-HRDB
Version: 2018.1.1

Postby pommesschranke » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:17 pm

1.)
You can find Logos & Names of Companies in FG, but not too often.
example: 2 buildings with BMW logo in munich, Mercedes-Benz star on 2 buildings, DHL, schenker logistic, BP,Shell, Total fuel trucks, ...
FG is an non-commerical project and I think it is good that it is not full of commercial advertising like other media or commercial games.

What I like instead is to have funny similar Names & Logos, ipod -> mypod , apple -> mapple, McDonalds->KrustyBurger :-)
original: ESPRIT Arena FG: LTU Arena (near EDDL)
original lanxess Arena FG: INXS Arena (near EDDK)

2.) on the scenery website you can find the real names. you might ask here on the forum or the devel mailinglist for the username/email
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Postby hardba11 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:11 pm

thank you for your answers pommesschranke.
FG is a non-commercial project (and free), that's why I asked.
I find logos decorative, so funny similar names will do the trick ;)

Regards,
nico
contribs: mirage2000-5, statics models, LFRV - WIP: new aircraft, TFFJ - hobby: world tour in flightgear
hardba11

Callsign: F-HRDB
Version: 2018.1.1

Previous

Return to Scenery