Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Scenery FAQ - Read This First!

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: Scenery FAQ - Read This First!

Postby EigerSA » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:51 pm

Like some other posters here, I'm really interested in improving flightgear scenery by modeling my local airports/city/assets but quite honestly am getting so confused by all the seemingly differing options that I think are being worked on. The wiki also seems to be lagging behind, not really being helpful. There's also the issues of terragear and terragear gui (do they work together/don't they work together) as well as terramaster, taxidraw which some say works and others say not and of course this new (to me anyway) and last but not least apt.dat. It almost seems to me that there is no real clear way forward and everyone is doing their own thing? I would love to help but don't even know where to start.

Being the scenery FAQ, can we not have a tutorial on building a very simple runway, editing/creating a simple scenery to go along with the runway and of course integrating everything happily together in Flightgear?
EigerSA

Callsign: EigerSA

Postby psadro_gm » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:35 pm

This page is up to date. It has worked well for me on Linux. The most difficult aspect for me has been gathering all of the dependencies to get all of the tools in terragear to compile.

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Using_TerraGear

A more in depth tutorial on tool usage does sound like a good idea, however.

One of the reasons it was overwhelming for me: There are (by necessity), a large number of tools to handle different formats. The use of GIS tools may bring this number down quite a bit.

for example: Elevation data can come from many sources, and can be in different formats. when we chop and fit this data, we have separate tools depending on the source format. When you decode, is your data in OGR format, or some other vector format. Or (I just stumbled on this recently) is it raster format, etc...

The wiki page I referenced worked fine (the commands work for the data formats referenced), once I got terragear to compile completely.

Pete
8.50 airport parser, textured roads and streams...
psadro_gm

IRC name: psadro_*
Version: git

Postby fraze » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:27 pm

Thansks Gijs.

Here the screenshot:

As you can see, the white texture is adjacent to the new scenery.
There is also a strange step between the ocean and the white texture.

Any idea ?

Thanks !

François
fraze

Callsign: F-MOOR
Version: 2_6

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:48 pm

Hi stuart,
as taxidraw is very outdated, it is maybe worth editing the first post to replace it with WED? ;)
Regards
PS: Nice introduction!
D-ECHO

Postby hardba11 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:17 am

Hello

#1/
I noticed that there are not objects like ikea, carrefour, mc donalds, bmw or wallmart buildings.
Is there a reason for that (copyright on companies's font or logo) or can I modelize this type of buidings ?

#2/
If I want modify an object made by other people, what is the best mean to contact them ?

thanks for your answers ;)
contribs: mirage2000-5, statics models - WIP: new aircraft - hobby: world tour in flightgear
hardba11

Callsign: F-HRDB
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby pommesschranke » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:17 pm

1.)
You can find Logos & Names of Companies in FG, but not too often.
example: 2 buildings with BMW logo in munich, Mercedes-Benz star on 2 buildings, DHL, schenker logistic, BP,Shell, Total fuel trucks, ...
FG is an non-commerical project and I think it is good that it is not full of commercial advertising like other media or commercial games.

What I like instead is to have funny similar Names & Logos, ipod -> mypod , apple -> mapple, McDonalds->KrustyBurger :-)
original: ESPRIT Arena FG: LTU Arena (near EDDL)
original lanxess Arena FG: INXS Arena (near EDDK)

2.) on the scenery website you can find the real names. you might ask here on the forum or the devel mailinglist for the username/email
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Postby hardba11 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:11 pm

thank you for your answers pommesschranke.
FG is a non-commercial project (and free), that's why I asked.
I find logos decorative, so funny similar names will do the trick ;)

Regards,
nico
contribs: mirage2000-5, statics models - WIP: new aircraft - hobby: world tour in flightgear
hardba11

Callsign: F-HRDB
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby FirstOfficerDelta » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:41 am

I am not sure where to place this but I cannot massively import my .stg file into the FlightGear scenery database. When I submit the massive import objects form, it says: {"message": "Internal Sever Error"}.
FirstOfficerDelta

Callsign: CPA830

Postby Johan G » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:55 am

Could your file maybe have too many lines? Would it work if you split it in two?
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby FirstOfficerDelta » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:25 am

I used less than 100 lines, but I will try to reduce split the number fo lines even further.
FirstOfficerDelta

Callsign: CPA830

Postby Doorknob747 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:01 am

We have a big problem with how the scenery and elevation is displayed in the NYC and vicinity area. The areas I am referring to are, Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island, and the New Jersey's Hudson River coast.

* Apparently the elevation data of Manhattan is offset by either 3 to 5 streets to the west such that eastern portions of Manhattan are rendered under water, and portions of what should be the Hudson River are displayed as above water and have ground. The same can be seen with the New Jersey Hudson River coastline, with eastern parts of New Jersey being rendered as under water.

* Southwest portions of Brooklyn are very slightly off set and are displaying things that are right on the coastline as under water.

*In Queens, Flushing creek is heavy misplaced to the east, and thus where the creek is supposed to be, there is land.

* The https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kew_Gardens_Interchange has been renovated, and there has been some realignment in the interchange.

* JFK airport needs to be updated, R-22R and R-31L have been extended slightly. Also the ILS approach for runway R-31L if steps from the ILS approach landing chart are followed, the plane will land longitudinally (East West position), however the plane will land just south of the runway. Link to chart: https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/2201/pdf/00610IL31L.PDF

* A helicopter landing pad, located at Floyd Bennett Field can't be used as a starting point, nor is available as a starting point from the launcher.
Doorknob747

Postby merspieler » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:37 am

and now? do you want to build that and need help (This is a Scenery development FAQ thread after all) with building it your self? If so, which part?
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler
Version: next

Postby david.megginson » Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:13 am

My advice if you're starting out is to download QGIS first and learn to use it. You can load vector and raster layers, stack them in different orders, filter them, and just generally get a good handle on what to put into your scenery and more importantly, what to leave out. Once you understand your data sources, the rest of the process will be less mystifying.
David MEGGINSON (he/him)
I need more tea.
Scenery: FlightGear Americas Scenery
Fediverse: @david_megginson@mstdn.ca
david.megginson

Pronouns: he/him
Version: next

Previous

Return to Scenery