Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

TerraGear GUI

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: TerraGear GUI 2.0

Postby Hooray » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:28 am

Gijs wrote:In the meantime I started myself in Qt and wow, I got something already! TerraGear functions work, now I need to make the whole GUI work correctly :)
I'll keep you up to date.

Qt is just the library/toolkit (written in C++) - there are bindings available for many different languages. What programming language do you use?

Python is probably one of the easier ones to get started. But if this is just about providing a GUI frontend to a console program, using something like EasyGUI or vtcl should be fairly easy to get started, even for non programmers. EasyGUI is in fact based on Python: http://www.ferg.org/easygui/tutorial.html

If you already have a GUI definition file created using Qt designer, Python would still be a feasible option.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby itismike » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:20 pm

I can't guarantee any specific amount of time for this, nor do I bring a lot of coding experience to the table, but if there is something I can do to help I'd like to try. How do I get started?
itismike

Callsign: EZSPIN

Postby Zbyszek » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:47 pm

Hello Gijs!

I've generate scenery from TaxiDraw using TerraGui and everything is fine, but airport is under ground, probabbly on sea level. In TaxiDraw Properties there is "Elevation 308.0". Do you know where is the problem?
Zbyszek

Postby Gijs » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:09 pm

Because the TerraGUI is not complete yet, it does not take elevation data into account. The elevation number in the .dat (TaxiDraw) file does not affect the generated terrain.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Zbyszek » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:25 pm

Thanks for reply, can I change it without using TerraGear?
Zbyszek

Postby Gijs » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:34 pm

No.

Best option might be to (temporarily) detelete/move the terrainfiles around your airport, so you can see the full airport without annoying pieces of terrain flying above it...
Gijs

Postby Gijs » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:33 pm

It's been a while, but I can tell you that it's close to a test-releasable state...
Let's hope this post will force me to finish it this time ;)
Gijs

Postby skyop » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:34 am

*Uses the Force to convince Gijs that TerraGear GUI is more important than his private life, his public life, and his necessary body functions*
Aircraft: [ CRJ700-family | DC-10-30 ] Scenery: [ KBFL ]
skyop

IRC name: skyop
Version: next

Postby Arthur Maiden » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:47 pm

now that's why we don't have a facebook "Like" function here... :roll:
FGUK - A FlightGear community in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland
Callsign: G-PHEN
AVA Callsign: AVA0016 - RETIRED
The development of the S92 has infected my Avatar...
Arthur Maiden

Callsign: G-PHEN
Version: GIT

Postby Gijs » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:49 pm

I can tell you that I have a Windows build ready to be released for testing purpose. But, I'd like to see a Linux and/or Mac build as well, right from the start of this. One of the FG users was able to build it on Linux, but due to the way Linux works it wouldn't work on other computers (don't ask me, as Windows user, why that is! :D).

So, if there's anyone around here that can build Qt projects on Linux or Mac, so that they work on every computer, please drop me a PM. Source is available via Gitorious.

I do have a person in my adresbook that can probably do it for me, but that could take some days...
Gijs

Postby JVC » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:50 pm

Compiling under Linux works (I'm using ArchLinux 64). I just had to change the compilation directory. However, I admit I never used the first Terragear so I don't know what to test. I tried to Download Data, and Firefox opened on an nonexistent file.
JVC

Postby itismike » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:25 am

@JVC: I'm on 64-bit Linux too. How'd you get TerraGear compiled? The dependency on wxWidgets is preventing ./configure from completing:
Code: Select all
checking wxWidgets version... ./configure: line 4635: wx-config: command not found
not found
configure: error: wxWidgets is required. Try --with-wx-config.

PS: in the time I've been waiting for a TerraGear version that runs on 64-bit Linux, I've earned my solo pilot endorsement! I wish software development was as easy! :mrgreen:
itismike

Postby JVC » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:11 pm

itismike wrote in Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:25 am: The dependency on wxWidgets is preventing ./configure from completing

Hi itismike !
I thought Terragear was only a command line utility. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think wxWidgets is an user interface library.
Did you get terragear here : git clone http://mapserver.flightgear.org/git/terragear-cs/ ?

I succeeded to compile Terragear before (I know genapts is in my computer, and works for instance), but I don't know how. I try again but it doesn't compile anymore.
JVC

Postby Gijs » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:42 pm

I cannot wait any longer, so here it is, the first unlimited test release of the TerraGear GUI. Please note that this release is Windows only as of now. Instructions/builds for other systems will follow later on. This is just meant to provide me with some valuable feedback. I'm sure there are plenty of bugs in it, eventhough I was able to generate several pieces of scenery.

1. Download the GUI for Windows
  2. Download TerraGear for Windows.
    • Download the terragear-cs file that fits your system.
    • I experienced errors in the FGFS-construct phase with the latest build, so you might want to use an older build, from the old/ directory.
  3. Unpack both files. They don't have to be in the same directory, as long as you are able to direct the GUI to the TerraGear directory.
  4. The rest of the GUI should be self-explaining to the average computer user, but there is a wiki article that explains the whole process (also work in progress).
Feedback, bug-reports, comments and what else. Everything is highly appreciated! If you have a bug, make sure to upload/pastebin the log.txt file that is generated.

In the not-so-far-future, a beginner/shortcut route will be created, with the help of papillon81's and Fahim's script. For now, the GUI is aimed at those that are interested in generating scenery and are willing to spend some time on it, in order to set all the variables.

Cheers and enjoy!
Gijs
Gijs

Postby itismike » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:43 pm

Gijs: you've given me a reason to boot into Windows! I promise to be very vocal about what I find!
Thanks!
itismike

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery