Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Request an airport update (see first post)

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: Request an airport update (see first post)

Postby Fahim Dalvi » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:44 pm

Hey All!

Finally I have made my return to the forums! Will try to grasp what I missed!

Anyway, I have started work on the Layout of KHIO. Here is the current progress :

Regards,
Fahim
Fahim Dalvi

Callsign: Fahim
Version: 2020.3.11

Postby JWaget » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:38 pm

Can I have a request for KDFW?
JWaget

Postby gral » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:23 am

JWaget wrote:Can I have a request for KDFW?

Looks like KDFW comes with a big update in the next apt.dat. But when someone can’t wait and wants to draw the taxiways meantime I will do the runways ;-)
- gral

Edit: Just as reminder the link to the database .txt where recently updated airports are listed -> http://mapserver.flightgear.org/Apt.Dat.txt
I am talking here just about the airport layout, taxiways/runways - maybe your request points more to buildings or other objects?
gral

Callsign: HB-GRAL
Version: GIT

Postby JWaget » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:22 pm

Looks like KDFW comes with a big update in the next apt.dat. But when someone can’t wait and wants to draw the taxiways meantime I will do the runways ;-)
- gral

Edit: Just as reminder the link to the database .txt where recently updated airports are listed -> http://mapserver.flightgear.org/Apt.Dat.txt
I am talking here just about the airport layout, taxiways/runways - maybe your request points more to buildings or other objects?[/quote]

I want to run FG on the KDFW so airport layout, taxiways/runways should be good enough. Would that include the elevation?
JWaget

Postby gral » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:12 am

JWaget wrote:Would that include the elevation?

What do you mean with elevation? The elevation of the airport (area), the elevation of particular runways or do you mean the elevation of the terrain around the airport?
gral

Postby JWaget » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:22 pm

If it is possible, then elevation of everything: airport, runways, and the terrain. :D

thanks
JWaget

Postby gral » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:40 pm

JWaget wrote:If it is possible, then elevation of everything: airport, runways, and the terrain. :D

thanks

As far as I can see KDFW has already one of the better layouts in FG and have been edited some time ago:
http://mapserver.flightgear.org/map/?lo ... FFFFFTFFFF
A quick look to the elevation data - seems all ok for me.
gral

Postby JWaget » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:53 pm

As far as I can see KDFW has already one of the better layouts in FG and have been edited some time ago:
http://mapserver.flightgear.org/map/?lo ... FFFFFTFFFF
A quick look to the elevation data - seems all ok for me.[/quote]

If the layouts already existed, then I need to ask a newbie question. How can I run FlightGear on KDFW? Normally, I start the fgrun and pick the airport I want to run. However, there's no KDFW in the airport list and I can't find the KDFW data in the data folder.
JWaget

Postby statto » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:04 am

Please check to see if you have the KDFW scenery tile downloaded.
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Postby JWaget » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:53 pm

got the tile downloaded. Thanks
JWaget

Postby mischka » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:30 pm

I have three suggestions that should be fairly easy to do..

1.VNLK: lukla (nepal). the runway is visible but the coordinations do not match somehow. when you set vnlk as span airport you are put on a place outside the runway without a possibility to reach it.

2.XUBS: Severka aka Smolensk. its on mpmap and also on my airport list but there are two problems:
a)there's no runway where FG thinks severka should be.
b)FG thinks that severka is somewhere completely different from the actual place where it is.

I wouldn't have know about severka if there wouldn't have been the crash the other day. :oops:

3) VMMC (macau) the ILS localiser for macau runway 16 is wrong :) as I just found out in the fog :oops:

edit: how do I get the updated airports into my fg? by terrasync?
Do you fly a lot in Europe? Have a look at European Virtual Airlines
Or do you fly all over the planet? Then have a look at Atlas Virtual Airlines
mischka

Callsign: EUR001

Postby simbabeat » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:32 pm

I second VNLK, Lukla. In flightgear right now it appears to be inside a cut out rectangle. It is actually on a hill.
simbabeat

Postby gral » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:48 am

simbabeat wrote:I second VNLK, Lukla. In flightgear right now it appears to be inside a cut out rectangle. It is actually on a hill.

And also on top of this thread since your last post. ;-)

Edit: The problem might be elevation data. But the displacement of the runway can be fixed without any problems.
gral

Postby Mx44 » Thu May 13, 2010 6:37 pm

Lukla VNLK has the right altitude but needs to be moved perhaps 150 or 200 meter south. There should be enough flattish space there to just exactly make room for it. Oh, and there is a small parking space the size of a heliport just south of the upper/eastern end. That would be cool have!

Then there is Jumla VNJL which - because of erroniously rounded coordinates - is displaced a whole mile (1.5 km) northwest of its real location. The result being that it is in the completely wrong valley, and across no less, having both ends buried deep in the mountains east and west. This is just too much magic mushroom for me to digest :-D The altitude is right though, and the real location being somewhere north of the nearby river.

Last request for updates in Nepal would be for Jomsom VNJS which should be moved 300 meters sideways to the southeast to get out of the mountain. Approximately right across the river, which may look a little funny (because that is not where the river is really supposed to be either) but otherwise you'll get an impossible approach coming out in between the high mountains and will fly straight into the hills when leaving again - in either direction.

Both Jomsom and Jumla have been updated to having black-metalled runways these days.

--8<------------------------------------------------------
# phoksundo is a beutiful place ..
# finish by landing on the lake at pokhara
# (use adf if you get lost)
fgfs \
--heading=153 \
--lat=29.219176N \
--lon=82.941127E \
--timeofday=morning \
--adf=27:322 \
--aircraft=dhc2F \
Mx44

Callsign: MX

Postby bulb » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:09 pm

mischka wrote:1.VNLK: lukla (nepal). the runway is visible but the coordinations do not match somehow. when you set vnlk as span airport you are put on a place outside the runway without a possibility to reach it.

The place you appear at is flattish and has about the right steepness (should be 12%), so the chance the coordinates in apt.dat.gz may easily be correct. Just moving the runway to the coordinates listed in apt.dat.gz would probably be the right thing.
bulb

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery