Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Improved scenery for France

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: Improved scenery for France

Postby NicQ » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:06 pm

Salut Max !!

In the process of installing your scenery, and thought I'd give you a heads-up on few errors, that result in obsolete data from a previous build of yours being shown by default.
A few tile directory in Objects (and possibly Terrain too) have a duplicated 1x1 tile folder with duplicates of the .stg files inside that subfolder inside the proper 1x1 repertory (example : e005n44 has an e005n44 inside it with duplicated .stg... Watch out for that)

List of Object directories with the duplicated/old folder inside (meaning there is sub dir with same name inside) : e005n44, e004n45, e005n43, e006n45, e005n45, e006n44, e006n43, e004n43

Only saw that because I don't usually let windows do folder merges for me, I do it myself with a more proper diff utility (WinMerge if you must know ;)).

I also strongly advise that you break up the package into at least 10x10 archives, if not 1x1, so we can update piece by piece as you work on it : otherwise, you won't get as many early adopters or testers as your work rightly deserves :)
We shouldn't have to re-download the stuff that hasn't changed, right ?

Will give more feedback once I've finished installing it properly so I can see your latest work.

Cheers, and thanks again for the hard work,
Nic
If it ain't broke, break it. How else are you going to figure out how it works ?
Callsign: C-NICQ, amateur FGFS military and aerobatic test pilot, pushing the envelope since 2009 (sic)

FGFS Gallery
Birds Of Gear, a blog
NicQ's Workshop
NicQ

Postby elmaxo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:41 am

Salut Nic !

NicQ wrote:A few tile directory in Objects (and possibly Terrain too) have a duplicated 1x1 tile folder with duplicates of the .stg files inside that subfolder inside the proper 1x1 repertory (example : e005n44 has an e005n44 inside it with duplicated .stg... Watch out for that)
List of Object directories with the duplicated/old folder inside (meaning there is sub dir with same name inside) : e005n44, e004n45, e005n43, e006n45, e005n45, e006n44, e006n43, e004n43

Thanks for catching that one ! I probably messed up a bit when building the archive. I will look into it.

NicQ wrote:I also strongly advise that you break up the package into at least 10x10 archives, if not 1x1, so we can update piece by piece as you work on it : otherwise, you won't get as many early adopters or testers as your work rightly deserves :)
We shouldn't have to re-download the stuff that hasn't changed, right ?

Actually, I do no hand-editing of one particular zone. The toolchain is centered around fine-tuned SQL queries that extract the relevant pieces from the CORINE and OSM data. So if I change one of those "rules", it applies uniformly to the whole area: no need to distribute "local" changes there. The whole build process takes 12 to 15 hours, with little human interaction - well, just enough to put some directories in the wrong place apparently !!.

Next step: handle properly the borders and distribute only the relevant tiles.

cheers,
elMaxo
elmaxo

Callsign: ElMaxo

Postby alva » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:38 pm

elmaxo wrote:Hi alva,

Thanks for the feedback. It is fixed in the latest release that I just put online (see 2 posts above).
The trick is to properly map the lancover types of CORINE into Flightgear textures. I am now mapping all coastal lagoons into lakes, which fixed the problem you reported, but may look less realistic in other places.
I will try to put the details of my hand-tuned mapping online when I have time for those interested.

Great.... the France scenery is "Superbe".
I have flown over on most of the Mountains, mainly the center and south part of France ( where my know how is better) , i had never seen the Alpes , the Cevennes, etc.. like that, it is perfect. Pic du Midi, Mont Aigoual (and surrounding), mont Ventoux, mont Blanc look like reality.

I have flown over the mediterranean coastline, the result is better than any FG scenery distributed before, the islands are there.
I only noticed, a little problem on the Hyere area (LFTH) , mainly the Peninsula which looks to be very narrow more than it should be.

I did not noticed a significant decrease of FPS with it.
I am working with Linux and a configuration AMD 64 dual core with 2 graphic cards 9600GT ( SLI ) . That may explain.

NB: With your scenery i do use the last Reptile 's texture ( viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5660 ) , which improve a lot the eye candy :) .
Last edited by alva on Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alva ( callsign 4X-ALVA )
Official GRTUX hangar maintainer.
alva
Retired

Postby elmaxo » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:57 pm

Note: I created a page on the wiki to make the download easier to find: http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Custom_France_Scenery.

I will keep posting about the updates in this forum too.
elmaxo

Postby HHS » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:41 am

It looks really nice- great work, the coastlines looks good!

But it needs a long time to load, and sometime with Random Objects enabled the fps decrease dramatically. Without the fps stays in usuable way.
Only MSM heliport Monaco looks not very good....
Up, up and away
HHS

Version: GIT

Postby grtux » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:03 pm

alva wrote:
I have flown over the mediterranean coastline, the result is better than any FG scenery distributed before, the islands are there.
I only noticed, a little problem on the Hyere area (LFTH) , mainly the Peninsula which looks to be very narrow more than it should be.

ahmad

Hello Alva

My two cents:
The coastline with Hyere Peninsula is right.
It is mostly a salt-marsh .
With an other little one is in the bay ( close to LFTH ) , then i guess that the France Scenery does not make the difference with water.

That France Scenery is great.

Gérard
g.robin
LFMO
grtux

Postby stuart » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:36 pm

Superb work!

I've never seen the Mont Blanc region looking so good - I was even able to trace some of the climbs I've done there.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby elmaxo » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:51 pm

I posted some information about the mapping between CORINE codes and the Flightgear materials that I used in this scenery, in case this can be of use to someone else: http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/CORINE_to_materials_mapping.
elmaxo

Postby grtux » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:09 pm

elmaxo wrote:I posted some information about the mapping between CORINE codes and the Flightgear materials that I used in this scenery, in case this can be of use to someone else: http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/CORINE_to_materials_mapping.

Yes, i don't notice anything wrong.
Yes the salins can be water, but, if we want more eye candy details.

We may notice, too, that some rivers are only "sand" because dry without water.
g.robin
LFMO
grtux

Postby timoore » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:32 am

The screenshots look great, and I hope to make time to try it out in fg. I noticed that you
used Jonathan de Ferranti's mountain height-field data. His license is "non-commercial use only,"
which is obviously not GPL. Did you correspond at all with de Ferranti, or do you care about the
license of your scenery? I think it would be great to be able to use his data in all the fg scenery
but have never gotten around to asking his attitude towards the GPL or some other free license.

Tim
timoore

IRC name: moore33
Version: git

Postby elmaxo » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:36 pm

Hi Tim,

Yes, I do care about the license, which is why I picked the CC-BY-SA license which is compatible with all my sources. Furthermore, I did communicate with Jonathan de Ferranti, and he seems to be quite open to the use of his work in flight simulators in general (as stated on his webpage). Actually he wrote me that he went to http://www.flightgear.org/announce.html#scenery-1.0.1 and was disappointed to see that his DEM data was not used in the base scenery. I will ask him about a possible use of his work in our GPLed scenery (my understanding is that this does not necessarily mean that the DEM data itself is GPLed, since the FG scenery is a rather transformed version of the DEM and other data).
elmaxo

Postby martin » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:17 pm

Salut Maxime,

elmaxo wrote:Yes, I do care about the license, which is why I picked the CC-BY-SA license which is compatible with all my sources. Furthermore, I did communicate with Jonathan de Ferranti, and he seems to be quite open to the use of his work in flight simulators in general (as stated on his webpage). Actually he wrote me that he went to http://www.flightgear.org/announce.html#scenery-1.0.1 and was disappointed to see that his DEM data was not used in the base scenery. I will ask him about a possible use of his work in our GPLed scenery (my understanding is that this does not necessarily mean that the DEM data itself is GPLed, since the FG scenery is a rather transformed version of the DEM and other data).

Jonathan is pretty explicit about his terms of use, which is why we refrained from taking this into further considerations. Also, when building the 1.0.x Scenery releases, we've been pretty much under pressure and therefore had not been ready to research on alternative DEM's.
Yet, getting a written permission to use this for the process of creating World Scenery would be quite beneficial for future builds !

Cheers, Martin.
FlightGear Scenery Release Manager
martin

Postby martin » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:09 am

Salut Maxime !

elmaxo wrote:- use of accurate landcover information (Source : European Union, SOeS, CORINE Land Cover, 2006 - http://www.ifen.fr/index.php?id=88),

I may announce that the upcoming World Scenery build is (most presumably) also going to rely on CORINE 2006 land cover data for the area within the French borders (thanks for pointer wrt. the terms of use). It's already merged into our land cover database and thus also visible on our web map - but this doesn't look much different from the above URL, since the web map is using the CORINE colour schema :-)

Cheers, Martin.
FlightGear Scenery Release Manager
martin

Postby f-ojac » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:44 pm

That's some great news.

The "mentions légales" are there : http://www.ifen.fr/outils-transversaux/ ... gales.html and here : http://www.ifen.fr/uploads/media/condit ... ees_01.pdf which explains how the data can be used. So I guess we have to say somewhere that the data is coming from them, since their licencing mode is not "standard". Any hint on this ?
f-ojac

Postby f-ojac » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:17 am

The README file solution will be fine.
f-ojac

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery