Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Innsbruck Area [download now available...first post!]

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Innsbruck Area [download now available...first post!]

Postby Tuxklok » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:51 pm

Notice: This project has served its purpose and lived longer and gone further than ever expected. Work on this stage of the project and in this topic have reached their end. However new development will live on within the next evolution of the project, which is scenery for all of Austria. Please see this topic for details on that project.

Updates
  • 07-15-2010
    • New ground network file added defining parking positions and an AI ground network.
    • Thanks to D-79 LOWI now has buildings, everyone thank David! His buildings will be in the FlightGear default scenery, and I have merged them into this package as well to ensure they are loaded.
    • See the included README.txt file for more details.

installation:
  • Unzip the archive to a location of your choice, it does not matter where. You should now have new directory containing the scenery, with a name like Innsbruck_Area_Scenery_mmddyear, mmddyear being the date of the release you downloaded.
  • If using fgrun, on first page you will see list of scenery paths. Click Add then select the new directory you got in previous step and press ok. Use the arrows next to the list to move the entry to the top.
  • If using command line, use the --fg-scenery option. The option takes a list of paths, separated by a :, make sure your new directory is first in the list. For example fgfs --fg-scenery=/path/to/Innsbruck_Area_Scenery_mmddyear:/usr/share/games/FlightGear/Scenery --airport=LOWI

performance note:
Increased land cover results in an increase of random objects. If you have random objects enabled and experience low frame rates, try disabling them via command line(--disable-random-objects), or in fgrun(third page). The scenery itself should have little to no difference in frame rate compared to the default scenery.

Releases:
07-30-2009: download it!
07-15-2010: download it

-----------------------------------------
original posting preserved below
-----------------------------------------
I have decided to work on improving the scenery in and around Innsbruck(LOWI). I'll be focusing on scenery first, land classes, roads, streams, etc., with object and airport modeling coming later(hopefully). I'll be generating the scenery as I work on it, so once things progress I'll be able to offer downloads. This will take a while obviously, so don't expect those downloads for a while though... ;)

I'll be updating this thread as I go, and a photo log will also be found here

cheers
Last edited by Tuxklok on Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:17 am, edited 7 times in total.
The Austria Scenery Project - more info
fg-scenery-tools - gitorious | videos
fgcomgui - Open source, cross platform, gui front end for fgcom. more info

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Callsign: Tuxklok / N1292P

Re: Innsbruck

Postby Tuxklok » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:52 pm

After extensive ufo activity reported in area, all traces of life in and around Innsbruck have disappeared without a trace. Scientists are baffled, engineers begin plans for rebuilding...

Mysteriously Innsbruck area becomes a desert wasteland, but neighboring areas offer hope for rejuvenation and repopulating

cheers ;)

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Postby FlugHund » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:21 pm

Hi Tuxklok,

working on LOWI is a very good idea. And improving the surrounding area is a even better one. :D

Your second screenshot of the 'desert wasteland' looks really promising!

About the models, if you even thought about them yet, do you have the 'Rettungszentrum West' also on your todo list? Just to ensure HHSs ec135 with 'Christopherus 1' livery gets a proper home. :wink:

Are you from (or around) Innsbruck?

Alex
FlugHund

Callsign: D-HUND
IRC name: D-HUND / debdog
Version: next

Postby Tuxklok » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:19 pm

working on LOWI is a very good idea. And improving the surrounding area is a even better one. :D

I thought so too. ;) Very beautiful area, I just hope I can do it justice.

About the models, if you even thought about them yet, do you have the 'Rettungszentrum West' also on your todo list? Just to ensure HHSs ec135 with 'Christopherus 1' livery gets a proper home. :wink:

Right now only thinking about getting the land use, roads, rails, etc, in place and looking decent. I'll only be working within the tile(e011n47) containing Innsbruck for now(the desert area in photo).

Are you from (or around) Innsbruck?

Nah, I'm from usa. No hills where I live, only beaches, bikinis, and shuttle launches.. ;)

cheers

Tuxklok

Postby statto » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:08 am

Tuxklok wrote:I have decided to work on improving the scenery in and around Innsbruck(LOWI). I'll be focusing on scenery first, land classes, roads, streams, etc., with object and airport modeling coming later(hopefully). I'll be generating the scenery as I work on it, so once things progress I'll be able to offer downloads. This will take a while obviously, so don't expect those downloads for a while though... ;)

I'll be updating this thread as I go, and a photo log will also be found here

cheers

May I ask what methods you're using to focus on the land classes, roads, streams, etc?
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Postby Tuxklok » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:42 am

For now I have imagery from the Global Land Cover Facility, which according to the scenery guides I've read are ok to use. Not ideal imagery, most things are visible enough but roads and smaller details are harder to make out...and they're old. I also plan on using some of the open street map stuff as a starting point for the roads and stuff.

I'm stilling digging for better data, but I don't speak the language so it may not be easy...might find it and not even know it. :P If anyone can help in that area I'd appreciate it. Public domain data being the best of course, but I'm open to any good quality data as a last resort. In order to get things as I hope, it may not be possible to roll it into the flightgear official scenery anyway....at least not fully. We'll see...first things first.. ;)

cheers

Tuxklok

Postby Tuxklok » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:44 am

NEWS FLASH
Interim local government of New Innsbruck offers free land to those willing to resettle the area.
Major operations begin to pave major roads and re-open airports in anticipation of a flood of new citizens. ;) :P

Tuxklok

Postby elmaxo » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:08 am

For your information: accurate landcover data (from the CORINE program) for Austria is available here
http://gis.umweltbundesamt.at/shop/product/ProductView.jsp?mid=Mx01x01&mId=product.clc.l3.bundle.at

However I am not quite sure about how redistributing Flightgear scenery generated from this data fits with their licensing scheme:
http://gis.umweltbundesamt.at/shop/legal/Usage.jsp#nonCommercial
http://gis.umweltbundesamt.at/shop/licence/Licence_nonCommercial.html (no english version ?)

I am also interested in getting this data once I get comfortable with the terragear toolchain... at the moment I am practising on the French data (see http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5105&sid=f2f1b00f4fc3cf1bdff341d88b00352b) which is really free.

If you plan to "purchase" it, let me know. I might also help clarifying the license terms (I live in Austria, I could actually pay them a visit !).
elmaxo

Callsign: ElMaxo

Postby papillon81 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:01 pm

@Tuxklok: If you need someone to redo the LOWI airport layout, I could do that. I'd start directly, but don't want to do double work :-)
Scenery guy. Currently working on: Terragear improvements for the 850 apt.dat format
Scenery Repo: http://gitorious.org/papillon81/flightgear-custom-scenery/"
papillon81

Callsign: D-PAP
Version: GIT

Postby Fahim Dalvi » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:54 pm

Nice Work! Keep it up!
Fahim Imaduddin Dalvi
Tracker, Flight Gallery
Fahim Dalvi

Callsign: Fahim
Version: 2018.2.2

Postby Tuxklok » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:09 pm

@elmaxo - Thanks for that, definitely interesting stuff there! The non-commercial license doesn't look compatible with flightgear, so using it would mean keeping the scenery separate from flightgear. I really don't want to purchase data, and I couldn't make complete sense of the commercial license, google translation was bit rough. I'm not completely against keeping the scenery a separate project from flightgear, and may have to eventually anyway.

For now I'll just work with free data, it's plenty good enough to make a huge improvements over what's there now.

papillon81 wrote:@Tuxklok: If you need someone to redo the LOWI airport layout, I could do that. I'd start directly, but don't want to do double work :-)

For now it'd probably be better to wait until I get further along with the scenery. I'd hate for you to waste your time if I couldn't use it for some reason later.

cheers

Tuxklok

Postby helijah » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:37 pm

Just a word. I remind you that Corsica ( http://helijah.free.fr/flightgear/scenes.html#Corse by Nels)
is fully textured with CORINE

All this work can be found here : http://blaniel.free.fr/pub/flightgear/

Best regards. Emmanuel
Some planes (and other) for FlightGear
http://helijah.free.fr
and
http://embaranger.free.fr
helijah

Callsign: helijah
IRC name: helijah
Version: GIT

Postby NicQ » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:51 pm

Helijah doesn't mention that they did some experiments with using the native OSG 3d format (.ive) and leveringVirtual Planet Builder (site unresponsive as I write this), without needing any source modifications to FGFS or SimGear :)
I think LOWI and surrounding area would be a prime example on showcasing this technique, and show what's possible today in FGFS OSG vs the x-plane 9 demo (which by default starts you at LOWI :))

There is a demo of terrain generated that way at the site linked above : http://blaniel.free.fr/pub/flightgear/osgdem_terrain.7z (and screenshots).

If it ain't broke, break it. How else are you going to figure out how it works ?
Callsign: C-NICQ, amateur FGFS military and aerobatic test pilot, pushing the envelope since 2009 (sic)

FGFS Gallery
Birds Of Gear, a blog
NicQ's Workshop
NicQ

Postby Tuxklok » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:11 pm

hello helijah, I've enjoyed flying around on your sceneries, it's really nice stuff. :)

@Nic - interesting, but how would one actually put land classes, roads, airports, etc, on that terrain?

Tuxklok

Postby Fahim Dalvi » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:34 am

Hi,
Beautiful Scenery from the Pic, Though I dont have time to fly now!
BTW: Since the Builder is from OSG, shouldn't the scnery be under GNU GPL, and thus can go into the FG Database?

Regards,
Fahim
Fahim Imaduddin Dalvi
Tracker, Flight Gallery
Fahim Dalvi

Callsign: Fahim
Version: 2018.2.2

Next

Return to Scenery