Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

EDDP scenery

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

EDDP scenery

Postby D-79 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:04 pm

Finally realeased. Wiki article with all information including download etc: http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/EDDP

Hi everyone,

I started working on some buildings for EDDP (Leipzig/Halle), which is also the DHL hub for Europe.

Two buildings are done, so far:

Image Image

I have one question: On the airport grounds, there are several buildings which shouldn't be there, e.g. there's a skycraper where the tower should be. Is there a way to remove that? In which file would I have to look for it?

Thanks, David
Last edited by D-79 on Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
callsign: D-79
Scenery contributions: EDDM, EDDP, LOWI, ENAL and ENSD, North Sea oil platforms, taxiway signs at EDDF and EDDT
D-79

Version: GIT

Re: EDDP scenery

Postby martin » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:15 pm

D-79 wrote:I have one question: On the airport grounds, there are several buildings which shouldn't be there, e.g. there's a skycraper where the tower should be. Is there a way to remove that? In which file would I have to look for it?

However you're doing this in your local copy (editing the respective .stg-file), whenever you submit a model to the Scenemodels repository, please tell us if you're replacing one of the "generic" models with a custom-made one.

Thanks, Martin.
FlightGear Scenery Release Manager
martin

Postby D-79 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:23 am

Hi Martin,

of course I'll do that. When I'm "done" with this modelling task, I'll make it available and make sure everyone gets all changes. But until then I'll have to find out how to change that.

Thanks, David
Scenery contributions: EDDM, EDDP, LOWI, ENAL and ENSD, North Sea oil platforms, taxiway signs at EDDF and EDDT
D-79

Postby VicMar » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:50 pm

Hi D-79,
Have you tried disabling 'Random Models' to see if that solves your problem. Worth a try.
Best regards,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.2.1

Postby D-79 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:04 pm

Hi Vic,

good idea. I disabled random objects now, but it's still there. Seems to be built into the scenery.

David
D-79

Postby VicMar » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:12 pm

Hi David,
The next thing to try:
Instead of going down the 'Object' path to your .stg file, follow the 'Terrain' path to the identical .stg file.

Then, if the offending objects are entered there, make a note of them, the details of which you can send to Martin, then delete them. That will take them out of your computer's FG, but I think Martin also needs to remove them from the scenery database.

Let us know if that works.
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby Fahim Dalvi » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:17 pm

D-79 wrote:Hi Vic,

good idea. I disabled random objects now, but it's still there. Seems to be built into the scenery.

David

Hi,

Well, First Go over the Building with the UFO, and dump the data into the console(Press Space, Unsure about the Key, Check the Help). In the Console you will get the path to the *.stg file holding the attributes of the building in that area. Goto the *.stg file, and delete the line that refers to the skyscraper.

Hope this Solves your problem,

Regards,
Fahim

EDIT: Vic Typed Faster :twisted:
Fahim Imaduddin Dalvi
Tracker, Flight Gallery
Fahim Dalvi

Callsign: Fahim
Version: 2018.2.2

Postby D-79 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:43 pm

Thank you very much,

that did the trick!

It's OBJECT_SHARED Models/Commercial/generic_skyscraper_05.ac 12.2369444 51.4236111 -295 180 in ../e010n50/e12n51/3154776.stg . I'll make sure that it's removed for everyone when I publish the scenery.

David
D-79

Postby VicMar » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:02 pm

Excellent result. Just goes to show that 2 heads are better than 1.
Vic :lol:
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby D-79 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:16 am

EDDP is making progress, see e.g. the tower:

There is a highway that cuts right through EDDP so that planes have to cross a bridge over that highway when taxiing between the terminal and the northern runway. There are two bridges for planes in total. See here for yourself: http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v ... &encType=1 .

I wonder if it is technically possible to model that in Terragear? It would be great to taxi over that highway with cars and trucks on it. We would need to add ramps for the planes on both sides of the highway.

And, can anyone experienced with TerraGear and TaxiDraw help me with that task? I guess it is relatively quick to do if you know how to use these tools whereas I would need ages to get them running.

Dave
D-79

Postby papillon81 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:17 am

D-79 wrote:There is a highway that cuts right through EDDP so that planes have to cross a bridge over that highway when taxiing between the terminal and the northern runway. There are two bridges for planes in total. See here for yourself: http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v ... &encType=1 .

I wonder if it is technically possible to model that in Terragear? It would be great to taxi over that highway with cars and trucks on it. We would need to add ramps for the planes on both sides of the highway.

And, can anyone experienced with TerraGear and TaxiDraw help me with that task? I guess it is relatively quick to do if you know how to use these tools whereas I would need ages to get them running.

Hi,

I just took a look at the situation in Bing and the scenery. The highway is in the scenery, but the airport is layered above it. The problem is that terragear will always put an "airport region" around the runways and taxiways, so it is really difficult in this situation and at the moment. A dirty hack i could imagine would be to seperate both runways and make them single airports. Then it might be possible to tune the taxiways that the highway in the middle is still visible. I don't want to go this route. I would rather wait for improvements in the 8.5 format of taxidraw (might take a long time however till we see this in FG). It will support bezier curves to define the airport area.
Sorry for this, but if you need help with other terragear/scenery stuff, just ask.
BTW: I might borrow your EDDP tower for EDDF as they are constructing the same model there right now :-)

Cheers
Chris
Scenery guy. Currently working on: Terragear improvements for the 850 apt.dat format
Scenery Repo: http://gitorious.org/papillon81/flightgear-custom-scenery/"
papillon81

Callsign: D-PAP

Postby Gijs » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:32 am

An easier solution is to make a model of the bridge (with sloped ends) and place it on the taxiway. Every face of a building is a solid surface, which you can taxi on or land your helicopter. So your aircraft will just taxi over the bridge (make sure the slopes extend a little under the ground, so your plane won't have to jump).
I've such a model for EHAM (though it's never been released yet, I'll take a look at it this weekend)...
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby D-79 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:25 am

Hi Chris and Gijs,

I guess this would be a good solution:

- Leave the elevation data as it is
- Leave EDDP as one airport, not cut it in half
- build bridges

I'll build the bridges and put them in place.

But then it would be great to have the highway cutting though the airport. For that I can imagine two solutions:

a) place cars and trucks on the grass
b) would it be possible/a good idea to add something like the highway in TaxiDraw and make it link more or less exactly with the scenery highway?

Thanks!
David
D-79

Postby papillon81 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:36 am

Hi David,

i guess adding a taxiway that has the same size as the motorway (and of course with lights off), is the best solution for the moment. I am working on a way to change elevation data for terragear, but as it looks this might still take quite a while.

Chris
Scenery guy. Currently working on: Terragear improvements for the 850 apt.dat format
Scenery Repo: http://gitorious.org/papillon81/flightgear-custom-scenery/"
papillon81

Callsign: D-PAP

Postby gooneybird » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:42 pm

What about making the road as a scenery object and placing it in the airport, with the bridge over it.
It may have to be in several parts so as not to go over the taxiway.
This may not be the best way but is probably the easiest at the moment.
Currently running 2018.1 but if it doesn't stop crashing I'm taking up tiddlywinks!
gooneybird

Callsign: G-OONY
Version: 2018.1

Next

Return to Scenery