Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Oil rig / oil platform

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Oil rig / oil platform

Postby D-79 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:30 am

Hi everyone!

I've been flying in FG for half a year now and one of the few things I miss is an oil platform somewhere in the North Sea or so. All I found about it was an old discussion thread (http://www.mail-archive.com/flightgear- ... 12741.html), but currently there seems to be nothing like it in FG. Right?

It would be great to have one, maybe one of the experienced developers finds time to assemble that sometime?

Connected to that: Is there a list of existing heliports on buildings etc.? I know you can land anywhere you like, but landing on a nice huge H is nicer :)

Thanks
David (EDDP)
callsign: D-79
Scenery contributions: EDDM, EDDP, LOWI, ENAL and ENSD, North Sea oil platforms, taxiway signs at EDDF and EDDT
D-79

Version: GIT

Re: Oil rig / oil platform

Postby HHS » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:06 pm

D-79 wrote:Hi everyone!

I've been flying in FG for half a year now and one of the few things I miss is an oil platform somewhere in the North Sea or so. All I found about it was an old discussion thread (http://www.mail-archive.com/flightgear- ... 12741.html), but currently there seems to be nothing like it in FG. Right?

It would be great to have one, maybe one of the experienced developers finds time to assemble that sometime?

Connected to that: Is there a list of existing heliports on buildings etc.? I know you can land anywhere you like, but landing on a nice huge H is nicer :)

Thanks
David (EDDP)

Hi,

we have two models of Oil rigs in the fgsdb (scenemodels.flightgear.org) and in data/models/geometry (platform.xml) - you can place it anywhere. You could also edit materials.xml and make the ocean use of the oil rigs.

We don't have any heliports on buildings yet- but it isn't difficult to make some, Gijs is already working on, and it is even possible to make them then able to use as start up location.

Wehave already a topic about - you will find it here above your post.
Up, up and away
HHS
Retired

Postby ajm » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:18 pm

In FG you will find plenty of drilling rigs stacked up in the Cromarty Firth (near EGPE / Dalcross)... when demand for their services is low, many are moored there - and at the time those rigs were positioned in FG, there was a distinct lack of demand for drilling rigs!
ajm

Postby VicMar » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:38 pm

Hi D-79,
If you take a look here; http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/FL ... lipad_List you will find a list (only a short list as yet) of the helipads Gijs and I have added recently. They will not be in the FG scenery until the next major update/version, but If you follow the instructions, you can add them to your computers version of FG quite easily by putting them into your apt.dat file.

If you get bitten by the Helipad bug, you can follow the instructions at: http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Ho ... _a_helipad and start adding your own.

BTW I flew across the North Sea (in FG) a couple of days ago from the Netherlands to UK, and managed to fly over 2 platforms. They may have been lighthouse type platforms rather than Oil Rigs, but how's that for a fluke? I couldn't take in any other details because I was travelling at about 600kts+.

Hope this helps.
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.2.1

Postby D-79 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:50 pm

ajm wrote:In FG you will find plenty of drilling rigs stacked up in the Cromarty Firth (near EGPE / Dalcross)

Thanks ajm, I found them. They are the shared oilplatforms (http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/modeledit.php?id=26), which are (sorry) all but exciting. That's why I starte designing one of my own, we'll see where I get.

VicMar wrote:Hi D-79,
If you take a look here; http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/FL ... lipad_List you will find a list (only a short list as yet) of the helipads Gijs and I have added recently. They will not be in the FG scenery until the next major update/version, but If you follow the instructions, you can add them to your computers version of FG quite easily by putting them into your apt.dat file.

I did that, thanks! In NL, the respective buildings are not installed yet, right? But the British scenery is great! I tried EGSP (Sussex police), EGLH (Needles Lighthouse) and EGRS (Royal Sovereign Lighthouse). There I was hit by the light beams when I switched the time to night. Maybe you could fix that: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4873&p=38121&hilit=lighthouse+solid#p38121

EGRS video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGTkIwh3_Ks

The helipads are a great initiative!

David
Scenery contributions: EDDM, EDDP, LOWI, ENAL and ENSD, North Sea oil platforms, taxiway signs at EDDF and EDDT
D-79

Postby VicMar » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:23 am

Hi D-79,
The helipads are a great initiative!

Thanks for the compliment. It never occurred to me that an aircraft could collide with the lighthouse beams. Thanks for pointing this out, and for showing me where to find the solution.

Excellent video. I thought I had put the 'H' in a circle on the platform. I shall have to go and check. Your control of the EC 135 is far better than mine :mrgreen:

I have just added the net collar, complete with green marker llghts to all of my lighthouses, but as far as I can see, Martin hasn't added them to the scenery yet. He must be getting fed up with me sending in updates to my models, but if I can make this beams collision thing work, there will be yet another set of .xml files.

Have we managed to get you interested in making your proposed oil rig platform have its helipad as a starting position too? Hope so.

Happy modelling.
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby D-79 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:28 am

VicMar wrote:Have we managed to get you interested in making your proposed oil rig platform have its helipad as a starting position too? Hope so.

Hey Vic, once that oil rig is finished and installed someplace, I'll sure make it a helipad!
David
D-79

Postby Gijs » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:36 am

D-79 wrote:I did that, thanks! In NL, the respective buildings are not installed yet, right?

Actually one of them is: http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/modeledit.php?id=1526 This is EH0001, the helipad on the hospital roof (more details are being add and will be released soon). The EHHA building and layout are not finished yet, so that will be just grass ;)
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby VicMar » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:12 am

Hi David,
EGRS (Royal Sovereign Lighthouse). There I was hit by the light beams when I switched the time to night. Maybe you could fix that:
I'll admit I wasn't aware that hitting the llghthouse beams could cause a crash, but having checked all my lighthouse .xml files, they nearly all had the necessary code (pure fluke I admit - it must have been included in the .xml file I copied and adapted for the rotation stuff).
Code: Select all
<animation>
  <object-name>Head</object-name>
  <enable-hot type="bool">false</enable-hot>
 </animation>
There was one lighthouse (now corrected) which didn't have the code. (This could have been a "Hunt the beam that crashes your helicopter" competition), but that isn't at EGRS (Royal Sovereign), It was the Wolf Rock lighthouse, and unless you go into the .xml file and add the code, the Wolf Rock beam will still be able to get you.

The EGRS beam doesn't crash me. Are you sure it wasn't one of the others (like Wolf Rock)?
Could you please (and/or anyone else) test EGRS (and or EGLH,EGBR,EGEL,EGLJ,EGWR,EGLN) again for me just to make sure? and let me know if their beams crash your aircraft, or not.
Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby D-79 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:24 am

Gijs wrote:
D-79 wrote:I did that, thanks! In NL, the respective buildings are not installed yet, right?

Actually one of them is: http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/modeledit.php?id=1526 This is EH0001, the helipad on the hospital roof (more details are being add and will be released soon). The EHHA building and layout are not finished yet, so that will be just grass ;)

Hi Gijs, I checked this, the situation is as follows:

TerraSync has downloaded the model and it is included in 3023763.stg (as VUMC.xml). BUT the model doesn't show up. With my UFO, I can only see it when I place it as .ac, the .xml is there, but I can't see it.

My system: FG 1.9.1, Win Vista.

David
D-79

Postby D-79 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:37 am

VicMar wrote:The EGRS beam doesn't crash me. Are you sure it wasn't one of the others (like Wolf Rock)?
Could you please (and/or anyone else) test EGRS (and or EGLH,EGBR,EGEL,EGLJ,EGWR,EGLN) again for me just to make sure? and let me know if their beams crash your aircraft, or not.

Hi Vic,

I went back to EGRS. The vertical sides don't seem to hit me, but the bottom was what got me (Eurocopter). It always happens when I still sit on the platform and turn to night.

David
D-79

Postby VicMar » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:55 am

Thanks for that info David. I tried exactly what you said, and sure enough the bottom of the beam crashes the aircraft.

Unless someone with more coding knowledge than mine can give me a solution for this, I guess there should be a 'Standing Order" :
Picture 1.png
:oops:

This could also apply to other things too.
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby D-79 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:58 pm

D-79 wrote:That's why I started designing one of my own, we'll see where I get.

Image Image

So that's the first version. What can I say? I think it's pretty okay, but I hope for suggestions for enhancement. So far I have one question:

Can anybody help me add the lights as described in http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Ho ... _a_helipad ? I'm using sketchup and cant find the coordinates in there.

Thanks
David
D-79

Postby martin » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:28 pm

D-79 wrote:Can anybody help me add the lights as described in http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Ho ... _a_helipad ?

Wow, YAAL - Yet Another Airport List. I'm certain that at least half of this off-site stuff is going to get lost until "The Next Scenery Update" (whenever this would happen ;-)
Initially I was trying to avoid such thing, but it feels like we'll have to create an 'authoritative' airport add-on-list to prevent this information from spreading over dozends of different pages/sites.

Cheers, Martin.
FlightGear Scenery Release Manager
martin

Postby VicMar » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:08 am

Martin wrote:
Wow, YAAL - Yet Another Airport List. I'm certain that at least half of this off-site stuff is going to get lost until "The Next Scenery Update" (whenever this would happen ;-)
Initially I was trying to avoid such thing, but it feels like we'll have to create an 'authoritative' airport add-on-list to prevent this information from spreading over dozends of different pages/sites.

Hi Martin,
I think you'll find there are very few of us who are making Helipad starting points (like new airports) and so far I have been keeping a list in the FG wiki: http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/FL ... lipad_List If there is a better way to do this, we are open to suggestions.

Those of us who wish to use each others helipads before Roin Peel adds them in the next upate, can add them to our own apt.dat files. So far, only Gijs and I have added new helipads to this list.

I Hope that alays your fears.

Best regards,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Next

Return to Scenery