Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

List of Improved Airports in FlightGear

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: List of Improved Airports in FlightGear

Postby UsAir26 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:41 am

Thanks I will look into it more.
Favorite planes:

777-300ER Seattle Project
777-300 Seattle Project
Boeing 707 from Lake of Constance
Cessna 172P Detailed Cockpit
UsAir26

Callsign: UsAir26
Version: 2016.2.1

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:46 am

Go ahead! Experiment! Hey, I'm just 13. And if you find overhead free use photos of it you could even do WED and make new taxways and everything! Go for it, its fun!
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby blcjr » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:22 pm

Anchorage (PANC) is listed as "improved." Alas, it completely obliterates Lake Hood, the busiest seaplane base in the world. (The Lake Hood gravel strip is there, as if a part of PANC, but not the lake.) Being new to flightgear, I'm cowed by the complexity of creating scenery for it, or I'd try to fix it myself. Would it really be hard to fix it somehow? I'm guessing (WAG) that the airport is built on a "base" that overlays the underlying topography (i.e., terrasync would otherwise show Lake Hood). Would it be so difficult to put a "lake" on top of that "base" with contours matching the outline of Lake Hood?

It looks to me like Palmer Muni (PAAQ) -- NW of Anchorage across Knik Arm -- is "improved" as well, but is not listed here as an improved airport. Curiously, flying from Palmer to Anchorage over Knik Arm a huge ground texture overlays what should be water, obliterating much of Knik Arm.

Alaska has a rich aviation history, especially for general aviation. I get the feeling that more attention is paid to improving and using flightgear for airliner operations. I'm not knocking what's been done with flightgear in Alaska, but I'm wondering what the prospects might be for further improvement or development?

I've reviewed some of the faq's/wikis about scenery creation for flightgear, some of which seems to be outdated. But if I'm overcomplicating the process, and decent/recent instructions are available, I might give it a try at some point. Back in "the day" I created a lot of MSFS scenery for Alaska. With flightgear, a lot of what I had to create from scratch is already in place. But learning how to work with it, or modify it, looks daunting.

Basil
blcjr

Postby ludomotico » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:13 pm

blcjr wrote in Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:22 pm:I'm guessing (WAG) that the airport is built on a "base" that overlays the underlying topography (i.e., terrasync would otherwise show Lake Hood).

This is not how scenery works in FlightGear. There are not layers, and the different terrain types cannot overlap or you get the infamous "flooded airport bug": https://www.google.es/search?q=site:forum.flightgear.org+flooded+airport

Hence, the terrain is created with holes where you fit airports, lakes or whatever. These "holes" are not created "on the fly" since computations could take many hours. These are created offline during the scenery building process with the terragear toolchain: http://wiki.flightgear.org/TerraGear

So the process goes as follow: if you don't have accurate data available (this is the case for most of the world, including USA: there is only accurate data for Europe), you can draw the terrain types manually using for example QGIS (http://www.qgis.org) using as many layers as you need, and then process the shapes with terragear.

This procedure is long and tedious, and only a few FlightGear users are willing to follow it. As a result, terrain in FlightGear does not change very often.

If I understand psadro's message correctly, this process may be greatly simplified in the near future: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29693&start=30#p293292

It looks to me like Palmer Muni (PAAQ) -- NW of Anchorage across Knik Arm -- is "improved" as well, but is not listed here as an improved airport.

The list included in the first post is heavily outdated. You can find a much more updated map here: http://iveze.nl/fgmap/
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby hardba11 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:07 pm

Hello

I've improved LFRV as you can see here : https://scenery.flightgear.org/coverage.php

cheers
Last edited by hardba11 on Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
contribs: mirage2000-5, statics models - WIP: new aircraft - hobby: world tour in flightgear
hardba11

Callsign: F-HRDB
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby Catalanoic » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:59 pm

You added some shared objects, nice!
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby hardba11 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:53 pm

hello

I updated the wiki page with new links because http://mapserver.flightgear.org seems to be dead : http://wiki.flightgear.org/List_of_developed_airports
I hope I made the right thing ;)

regards
Last edited by hardba11 on Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
contribs: mirage2000-5, statics models - WIP: new aircraft - hobby: world tour in flightgear
hardba11

Postby hardba11 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:58 pm

hello

I would like to modelize some buildings for TFFJ (saint-barthélémy - carribeans).
nothing here : http://wiki.flightgear.org/Airports_under_construction

Does somebody have work-files for this airport ?
zip files in the french forum are no more availables : http://equipe-flightgear.forumactif.com ... -caribbeen

thanks
hardba11

Postby Catalanoic » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:34 pm

I think this is the most updated (TFFJ included too) (from Patten). I don't know if the objects are already submitted to TS, something to check before doing anything else. If in the custom package there're objects not yet in TS, a good idea would be to submit them (with Patten's permission) before doing new ones, or redo/modernise the same work.
Catalanoic

Postby VicMar » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:46 pm

The Scenery map server doesn't show any models submitted to TerraSync yet:
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby hardba11 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:34 pm

thank you for your answers and for the zip. I will contact patten
bye :)
hardba11

Postby david.megginson » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:50 pm

Norman Rogers Airport (CYGK) in Kingston, Ontario, Canada now has all of its major buildings: the Nav Canada FSS (former control tower), the passenger terminal, the Central Airways FBO and hangar (Esso Aviation) with lighted sign, the Ontario Fun Flyers hangar, and the Kingston Flying Club hangar. They all align well with the latest "recommended" airport layout from the X-plane database; probably not with the ancient layout in the TerraSync scenery, but that will be fixed as soon as we build with the newer airports. I've added a few static planes, and will add more items later.

Please add CYGK to the list of improved airports, and thanks to everyone on the list for your help developing the models.

I've flown my own Piper Warrior II into CYGK many times, and it looks wonderfully familiar during approach and taxi now. Unfortunately, I can't find good pictures of the buildings airside (I used Google Streetview groundside), so I'll update the models the next time I fly in and can take some pictures from the ramp.
David MEGGINSON (he/him)
I need more tea.
Scenery: FlightGear Americas Scenery
Fediverse: @david_megginson@mstdn.ca
david.megginson

Pronouns: he/him
Version: next

Postby Catalanoic » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:33 pm

Nice work David! On the wiki there's a list of developed or nearly finished airports, http://wiki.flightgear.org/List_of_developed_airports
maybe you want to add your airport on that list.
Catalanoic

Postby yanes » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:06 am

Nicely done ! ,
I just wish to see these hangars textured , to get the full picture of beautiful airfield.
yanes

Callsign: YANES
Version: 2018.2.2

Postby japanair772 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:10 pm

Can someone please tell me is The International Terminal at Haneda is finished? :?:
japanair772

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery