Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

List of Improved Airports in FlightGear

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: List of Improved Airports in FlightGear

Postby martin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:15 pm

Farmboy wrote:But in the meantime - JFK tower is listed in apt.dat at 0' elevation. Could you change the apt.dat file to show tower viewpoint at 250' so users will have a more accurate viewpoint?

Done - in fact over a quater of all tower viewpoints is located at sea level ....

Martin.
FlightGear Scenery Release Manager
martin

Postby Farmboy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:45 pm

martin wrote:Done - in fact over a quater of all tower viewpoints is located at sea level ....

Martin.

Ouch.

Peter

ps- any luck with clearing trees in the obstacle free zone of the ILS approaches?
Horsepower is just an illusion. Torque is the true answer.
Farmboy

Location: NorthEast New York State, and the rest of New England....

Postby martin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:23 pm

Farmboy wrote:Could you change the apt.dat file to show tower viewpoint at 250' so users will have a more accurate viewpoint?

BTW, whenever possible, please write stuff like this into an EMail, since communicating via the forum is burning a huge lot of (my) time compared to usual EMail,

Martin.
martin

Postby Farmboy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:41 pm

martin wrote:
The complete list ('200808' plus "our" updates) is available here:

http://mapserver.flightgear.org/apt.dat.gz

Note that there is at least one syntax error in the file which I'm currently trying to find - maybe a buggy submission which slipped through my initial checks ....

Martin.

It appears that the new apt.dat has a few less airports than the previous. If anyone has trouble after installing this file you will need to edit any references to the following airports out of their nav.dat file.
EDXX
KFCA
KONT
KUFO
LSGS
LSZR
LYPR
UKFF
LFRU

Peter
Farmboy

Postby martin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:01 pm

martin wrote:Apparently someone noticed that TFFJ in Robin's past releases was misplaced, so they moved the runway over to the correct location - but forgot to move the taxiways/apron accordingly. Here's a copy of this setup, would someone please put the taxiways and apron at their correct location ?

To be honest, I was hoping that one of the 'newbies' would take the chance of jumping into the waters of airfield layouting - but this didn't happen. Fortunately Gijs actually did it. Together with the nice land cover we have there this will make one of the really interesting airfields:

http://mapserver.flightgear.org/map/?lon=-62.84366&lat=17.90441&zoom=15&layers=B000000TFFFFFFFFTFFF

Cheers, Martin.
martin

Postby SkyWlf77 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:36 pm

martin wrote:To be honest, I was hoping that one of the 'newbies' would take the chance of jumping into the waters of airfield layouting

What kind of learning curve is there when laying out the runways for particular airports? I would assume that it's not quite as difficult as modeling the actual aircraft and scenery, but not sure how problematic it is to make sure the runways are just above the terrain to show up, etc. This might be something I'd be interested in....

-Jason
SkyWlf77

Callsign: SkyWlf77
Version: 2

Postby Farmboy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:40 pm

martin wrote:
martin wrote:Apparently someone noticed that TFFJ in Robin's past releases was misplaced, so they moved the runway over to the correct location - but forgot to move the taxiways/apron accordingly. Here's a copy of this setup, would someone please put the taxiways and apron at their correct location ?

To be honest, I was hoping that one of the 'newbies' would take the chance of jumping into the waters of airfield layouting - but this didn't happen. Fortunately Gijs actually did it. Together with the nice land cover we have there this will make one of the really interesting airfields:

http://mapserver.flightgear.org/map/?lon=-62.84366&lat=17.90441&zoom=15&layers=B000000TFFFFFFFFTFFF

Cheers, Martin.

Martin, I missed that post. If you need something like that drawn in TaxiDraw shoot me an email and I'll do my best to get it done.
Peter
Farmboy

Postby statto » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:50 am

SkyWlf77 wrote:
martin wrote:To be honest, I was hoping that one of the 'newbies' would take the chance of jumping into the waters of airfield layouting

What kind of learning curve is there when laying out the runways for particular airports? I would assume that it's not quite as difficult as modeling the actual aircraft and scenery, but not sure how problematic it is to make sure the runways are just above the terrain to show up, etc. This might be something I'd be interested in....

-Jason

Fairly easy - you need to download TaxiDraw. Most of the runways are okay, but whenever you see "generic" taxiways - IE a parallel taxiway with three exit points to the runway (both ends and one right in the middle) - we could really use this data,

Cheers
John
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Postby martin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:02 pm

Farmboy wrote:
martin wrote:To be honest, I was hoping that one of the 'newbies' would take the chance of jumping into the waters of airfield layouting - [...]

Martin, I missed that post. If you need something like that drawn in TaxiDraw shoot me an email and I'll do my best to get it done.

Nope - I don't count you as being a 'newbie' ;-)

Well, the plan was to attract _new_ contributors - and once they're familiar with creating/improving airfield layouts, then John and Christian are going to guide them into improving land cover :-)

Martin.
martin

Postby scighera » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:15 pm

martin wrote:To those who have been submitting an improved airfield layout ('.dat-file'): Please verify against our web map service to see if the result looks reasonable (as expected) to you. Visit:
Martin.

Hi Martin ... sorry for being late in answering ... but I just become GRANDFATHER !!!!

By the way, the revised layouts of:
- LIME (Bergamo Orio al Serio)
- LILV (Valbrembo)

show up correctly in http://mapserver.flightgear.org/

Ciao, Paolo
Callsign: I-SCIG
The hangar: http://digilander.libero.it/scighera_fg/index.html
The "happy motorbiker" - http://web.tiscali.it/kclub
scighera

Callsign: scighera
Version: 2dot6

Postby martin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:27 am

scighera wrote:Hi Martin ... sorry for being late in answering ... but I just become GRANDFATHER !!!!

Oooops .... Congratulations, most prominently to the mother !

Martin.
martin

Postby martin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:46 pm

martin wrote:I've put together a _very_ simple list of airfields of which we already have an improved layout:

http://mapserver.flightgear.org/Apt.Dat.txt

BWT, it doesn't hurt if you check wether the code of your submission(s) appears on this list - maybe a few hours after I confirmed inclusion,

Martin.
martin

Postby kyokoyama » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:02 pm

scighera wrote:
martin wrote:To those who have been submitting an improved airfield layout ('.dat-file'): Please verify against our web map service to see if the result looks reasonable (as expected) to you. Visit:
Martin.

Hi Martin ... sorry for being late in answering ... but I just become GRANDFATHER !!!!

By the way, the revised layouts of:
- LIME (Bergamo Orio al Serio)
- LILV (Valbrembo)

show up correctly in http://mapserver.flightgear.org/

Ciao, Paolo

congratulations!
I wonder what it feels like? (I don't know, since I'm too young to drive.)
Look for "B-BIRD" "N127KY" or "AVA0004" -that's me.

Despite having over 1700 posts here, I am not even close to being the most skilled guy here... I'm just words and bad drawing, not experience. :P
kyokoyama

Callsign: B-BIRD, N127KY
Version: 2.12.1

Postby D-79 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:57 am

As of June 2010, LOWI is improved. Note also the new EGKK scenery.

David
callsign: D-79
Scenery contributions: EDDM, EDDP, LOWI, ENAL and ENSD, North Sea oil platforms, taxiway signs at EDDF and EDDT
D-79

Version: GIT

Postby skyop » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:58 pm

Don't forget KBFL and soon KLAX. :P
Aircraft: [ CRJ700-family | DC-10-30 ] Scenery: [ KBFL ]
skyop

IRC name: skyop
Version: next

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery