Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Phillip Island GP race course

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Phillip Island GP race course

Postby Lester-Boffo » Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:02 pm

A project I have not worked on in a few years. I had some help earlier trying to use the UFO to build a few race courses for my motorcycle sim. Mark of Lake of Constance hangar had started his epic repo of famous motorcycle race courses was a big help. Australia has two classic motoGP courses. The most spectacular one is on Phillip Island, South of Melbourne.

I presently have a partial .btg with a lake, helipad, and most of the racetrack, but the Land classes for the track are taxiways and are far too flat as what makes PIGP so challenging is it's gradients, it is built onto the contours of the little shallow arroyo it occupies, which makes it one of the most exciting courses to ride. The .btg was generated as an airport so it removed most of the surrounding land contours. So can someone who's done some small airfield generation possibly crop out the track and leave the small lake and heliport, and leave the area around the helicopter port and lake with their contours intact?

I can make the rest of the racetrack, I already have an .ac that is mostly finished except for some buildings and trees.
Lester-Boffo

Pronouns: Me/Hey You!
Version: 2020.3[4]

Re: Phillip Island GP race course

Postby TheEagle » Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:43 pm

Lester-Boffo wrote in Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:02 pm:So can someone who's done some small airfield generation possibly crop out the track and leave the small lake and heliport, and leave the area around the helicopter port and lake with their contours intact?

You mean … right now the race track is enclosed by grass keep, and you want to remove that, because it replaces the lake etc. ? If you tell me the exact location that should be no problem for me.
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Postby Lester-Boffo » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:56 pm

A little late in my reply, took a while to find the original.. Years back I had another FG sçenery adept make a pseudo helicopter airfield that included the entire PI GP course, from a chunk of OSM data. Unfortunately it flattened the entire race course keep à it was done I think in Taxidraw. So no, what I want is to save a the part that inçludes the lake and it's suroundin shore and helipad and delete the flattened terrain that includes the GP race course shape file and most of the inner grass area and sand traps on the edges of the sharp corners.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/9hik1a7e ... tg.gz/file
Lester-Boffo

Postby TheEagle » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:10 pm

Uh, I cannot do anything with the BTG file ! ;) What I can do is draw the race track and helipad in XPlane WorldEditor which will produce an apt.dat file which you can then use in TerraGear.
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Postby Lester-Boffo » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:57 pm

Ah, OK sounds like a no-go as I have not mastered how to use TerraGear. Thanks..
Lester-Boffo

Return to Scenery