Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

compiling terragear on windows using cygwin and cmake

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

compiling terragear on windows using cygwin and cmake

Postby lomar » Thu May 27, 2021 7:52 pm

Hi,
does someone knows the steps needed in order to compile terragear using cygwin and cmake on windows? do i need do download anything from CGAL and libgdal, that are shown at the wiki page? and does it work with the GUI if i select its folder as the terragear directory in it?
lomar

Callsign: lomar
Version: nightly

Re: compiling terragear on windows using cygwin and cmake

Postby lomar » Mon May 31, 2021 6:46 am

did my first try today, got this error message:

Code: Select all
felip@LAPTOP-JKF6O66O /cygdrive/c/Users/felip/Downloads/flightgear-terragear-8b99d19492070b4c9e097b9df0410fc3de12f874
$ cmake CMakeLists.txt
CMake Deprecation Warning at CMakeLists.txt:1 (cmake_minimum_required):
  Compatibility with CMake < 2.8.12 will be removed from a future version of
  CMake.

Update the VERSION argument <min> value or use a ...<max> suffix to tell
  CMake that the project does not need compatibility with older versions.

CMake Error: CMake was unable to find a build program corresponding to "Unix Makefiles".  CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM is not set.  You probably need to select a different build tool.
CMake Error: CMAKE_C_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
CMake Error: CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/cygdrive/c/Users/felip/Downloads/flightgear-terragear-8b99d19492070b4c9e097b9df0410fc3de12f874/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
lomar

Postby AzulProfundo » Mon May 31, 2021 8:53 pm

I am afraid that I can not give you much help regarding a Windows installation...
From the log above, it seams the scripts are a bit outdated. And the reference to Unix makefiles looks odd.

Have you considered to run TerraGear tools in a virtual machine? This way, you can setup an Ubuntu 20.04 machine, and then run the download_and_compile shell script. For me, it worked just fine. It traced all dependencies and installed around 110 additional packages. TerraGear GUI was a little more trickier and needed a PPA to install the supporting Qt framework, but is also working in Ubuntu.

Well, just a suggestion... :D

Version: 2020.3.8

Postby Alant » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:48 am

Is fg-from-scatch, which is in the fgmeta git repo, still working.? It uses git to clone/pull all 3rd party dependencies and build simgear, flightgear and terragear using vcpkg. I havn´t used it for a while now, but found it to be the simplest way to compile terragear on windows.
Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Postby lomar » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:32 am

thanks for the tips. I will try both the fg-from-scratch and the download-and-compile approaches. i have found that it is quite easy to work on ubuntu, but i would need to load files i had already worked on at the windows in it. is it possible? i have seen a shared folder tool on the virtualbox but could not figure out how to use it. Also, is it possible to set fg-from-scratch to download only terragear?
lomar

Postby Alant » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:35 am

terragear needs simgear, but not flightgear, so you could comment out the flightgear section in fg from scratch.
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Postby AzulProfundo » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:45 pm

lomar wrote in Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:32 am:thanks for the tips. I will try both the fg-from-scratch and the download-and-compile approaches. i have found that it is quite easy to work on ubuntu, but i would need to load files i had already worked on at the windows in it. is it possible? i have seen a shared folder tool on the virtualbox but could not figure out how to use it. Also, is it possible to set fg-from-scratch to download only terragear?

Every time I define a virtual machine (VM), I define also a shared folder which can be reached both from the host and the guest OS, so that files can be exchanged with ease. This also avoids creating vdi with large volumes. You can define it in the settings of the virtual machine, creating first the folders in the host and the guest. Then you can add the shared folder and point to the folder path (in the host) and the mount point (in the guest), using the "auto-mount" option.
To take full advantage of the VM, you should also install the guest additions, first in the host, and then on the guest(s). They will allow other useful features, like sharing the clipboard or USB devices with the VM. In Ubuntu, don't forget to add your user to the vboxusers group, otherwise much of this stuff will not work, due to lack of permissions.

Postby lomar » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:07 am

so, i successfully compild terragear with download_and_compile.sh. so, before running anything, do i need any other things? those CGAL and libgdal dll's are still needed to be downloaded after the installation? and apart for them do i need any other dll?
lomar

Postby AzulProfundo » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:33 pm

AFAIK, there is no need to install additional packages for the TerraGear toolset. The shell script takes care of that with ease. Only for the GUI you need the old Qt framework.
In addition to TerraGear, I also have QGIS (ubuntu version). The version in the Ubuntu Software is usually a bit outdated, but you can install the latest LTR from the QGIS page.

Return to Scenery