Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Airport EBTN misplaced

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Airport EBTN misplaced

Postby amk » Sat May 22, 2021 11:16 pm

Hi,

I am starting with FlightGear, with the help of the docs and forums I could setup my yoke, with buttons for primer and carb-heater. Everything else went automatically, including scenery download. Takeoffs and landings are smooth.

Trying to fly around our local airport in Goetsenhoven, Belgium and I notice the airport itself is at somehow different place in the simulator and in the map. Here I am sitting at a runway threshold, and the airport itself is drawn in the map a mile away towards north. Image

Now I am not certain whether it is misplaced in the map or the entity has a wrong data. Checking various information sources, I tend to believe the airport itself is incorrectly entered in the simulator: Image

Now I tried to update the coordinates in files ~/.fgfs/TerraSync/Airports/index.txt and ~/home/amk/.fgfs/TerraSync/Airports/E/B/T/EBTN.threshold.xml, the airplane appears on the position in the map, but runways remain on the original place.

Could someone point me to the process how to fix this, or at least where is the best place to report it as an issue? Dev mailing list? bug tracker? this forum?

Thanks in advance
amk
amk

Re: Airport EBTN misplaced

Postby Johan G » Sun May 23, 2021 4:47 am

amk wrote in Sat May 22, 2021 11:16 pm:Trying to fly around our local airport in Goetsenhoven, Belgium and I notice the airport itself is at somehow different place in the simulator and in the map. Here I am sitting at a runway threshold, and the airport itself is drawn in the map a mile away towards north
[...]
Could someone point me to the process how to fix this, or at least where is the best place to report it as an issue? Dev mailing list? bug tracker? this forum?

Sadly I will have to disappoint you.

An airport is with the current scenery architecture a part of the mesh of a scenery tile. Creating or moving an airport therefore requires regenerating the entire scenery tile, but with the current scenery architecture and tool chain that unfortunately also will leave visible seams between the scenery tiles. The only way to avoid those seams currently is to regenerate the entire landmass that airport sits on, which is unlikely to happen anytime soon, as the entire Eurasian landmass likely will take weeks or months rather than hours or days to generate.

There is ongoing work on a new scenery architecture that do not have those limitations, but it will likely take years before it is ready for use.

If you really want to move the airport now, the only viable option at the moment is to create custom scenery with the tile (though as mentioned there will be visible seams). A good starting point if you would look into if that is something you would like to give a try would be the FlightGear wiki article Howto:Create custom terrain (permalink).
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Return to Scenery