Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Custom NLCD Scenery for Champaign/Chicago/Milwaukee Area

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Custom NLCD Scenery for Champaign/Chicago/Milwaukee Area

Postby pb321 » Sat May 22, 2021 2:46 am

An initial release of custom NLCD scenery for the area from Champaign/Bloomington, Illinois to Chicago and Milwaukee is now available. For details and to download, go to https://github.com/LGBudd/Champaign-Custom-Scenery and https://github.com/LGBudd/KORD-KMKE-Custom-Scenery.

Chicago NLCD / OSM2City Scenery

Chicago NLCD / OSM2City / USGS Ortho Scenery

These are the first two of three scenery areas that will be available to provide a north/south flight path with NLCD scenery from Champaign (University of Illinois-Willard Airport to Chicago (KORD and KMDW) to KMKE (Milwaukee) to KOSH (Oshkosh, home of the EAA) to KATW (Appleton, WI) to Green Bay (KGRB and home of the Green Bay Packers) to KCMX (Houghton, MI in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. OSM2City objects (from the worldbuild) are included as are optional USGS color-corrected orthophotos. Note: Use of orthophotos requires FlightGear 2020.4.X.

Airports within the areas are those recommended on the X-Plane Gateway. A NavData file is included to update KORD because a runway has been deleted and two new runways have been added since the FlightGear world scenery 2.0 build years ago. Major airports in the area also have groundnets and a SouthWest Airlines traffic file is included to provide traffic in and out of Chicago's Midway airport, a major SWA hub.

Please report any issues on the appropriate Github sites given above. It would be especially nice if someone with more knowledge than I have about NavData could review and report issues, as this is my first attempt. Also, improvements/suggestions for materials and textures are welcome, as this is my first attempt at them, too.
pb321

Version: 2020.4.0

Re: Custom NLCD Scenery for Champaign/Chicago/Milwaukee Area

Postby pb321 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:50 am

Uploaded and replaced "illinois-data.zip" with the changes to hires versions of trees.
pb321

Postby lomar » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:45 am

the facto that it has the champaign area is quite historically relevant for flightgear, as the UIUC flight model was quite important in the early development of the sim
lomar

Callsign: lomar
Version: nightly

Postby fatty » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:57 pm

First of all, thanks so much for your work on this, the scenery is really wonderful!

The ILS localizers at KORD for the 10s/28s (the 3 parallels south of the terminal) seem to have the incorrect heading. The glideslopes are normal, and the other runways seem fine. Is this a known issue, or is it a problem with my install?

Thanks!
fatty

Postby pb321 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:25 pm

@fatty, thank you for downloading the scenery! Glad you have enjoyed it.

Yes, I believe the localizer at KORD is identified as an issue in the Github page for the Chicago scenery but I've not done anything about it as I'm unsure how to determine the correct horizontal angle for the localizer. This was my initial foray into the navigation files in FlightGear.

Is the horizontal angle of the localizer off by 3 degrees? If so, one FlightGear contributor suggested I may need to compensate for magnetic variation. Based on that, the angle should be 270 degrees instead of 273, if I remember and have understood correctly. I will make this change and upload it. Would you be able and willing to test it and let me know if it is correct? I will report here once I've uploaded the change.

Thanks for letting me know.
Last edited by pb321 on Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pb321

Postby pb321 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:29 pm

Uploaded updates to NavData folder and posted with installation instructions to the Google Drive folder for this scenery (see link under "To Download" at https://github.com/LGBudd/KORD-KMKE-Custom-Scenery).
@fatty, please let me know if this corrects the localizer issue.
pb321

Postby www2 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:26 am

I like to see that Meigs Field (kcgx) be add to the scenery.
www2

Postby pb321 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:20 pm

Re: Meig's Field ...that's in the plans. I'll see what I can do for those of us who can remember the early MSFS versions.
pb321

Postby www2 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:20 pm

pb321 wrote in Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:20 pm:Re: Meig's Field ...that's in the plans. I'll see what I can do for those of us who can remember the early MSFS versions.

No problem and if you life nearby Chicago can you make some photos of Meig's Field terminal, tower, planetarium and the building on the south of the peninsula?
Even better some drone photos of this area. ;)
I have work on the tower Meig's Field.
A fun idea that i have is to add blues mobile from the bluse brothers (with loudspeaker) as one of the park cars
www2

Postby pb321 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:08 pm

:D Great idea!!

I live quite a distance away from Chicago, but used to live just outside of it.

There are some good photos here: http://www.airfields-freeman.com/IL/Airfields_IL_Chicago_C.htm#meigs

By "the building on the south" do you mean McCormack Place, a large convention center? There is also Soldier's Field, the stadium where the Chicago Bears play.

It would be great to collaborate on this project. If I remember correctly, someone suggested a Chicago project a 3 or 4 years ago. Maybe others would be interested?
pb321

Postby fatty » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:55 pm

Hi,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. The localizers are all fixed now. Thanks so much for your work!
fatty

Postby pb321 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:10 pm

Glad it's fixed! Thanks very much for checking it out and letting me know! I appreciate it.
pb321

Postby merspieler » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:53 pm

I'm a bit confused... I wanted to try this and blindly git cloned the repos... then I read the readme... now I'm confused which packages I actually need...

I'd love to see this all in a git repo so I can simply git pull if there's an update.
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler
Version: next

Postby pb321 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:19 am

My internet and/or computer was too slow to upload to Git. However, since I last tried I have upgraded both my Internet (somewhat) and my computer (a lot), so maybe I'll try again. The first attempt was my introduction to Git, so I'm learning as I go.
pb321

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:46 am

Just noticed that the /poi/KORD.dat file is actually the airport definition. And awy/KORD.dat seems like a duplicate of nav/KORD.dat.

Also, the readme instructions for KORD-KMKE are incorrect in step 5. They refer to the other scenery for Illinois.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Next

Return to Scenery