Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

LPFL Flores with FGAirports

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

LPFL Flores with FGAirports

Postby AzulProfundo » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:10 pm

Hi Folks!

This is my first attempt at producing a new groundnet for LPFL Flores (Azores) airfield, using FGAirports. The layout will be very simple, giving that the airport is tiny, and has just one taxiway, one parking, and one pushback link.
Even so, I am having difficulties, most of them could be related to the topology of the network.

Although a have another issue that is due to a difference in what FGAirports presents as the airfield layout (read from the apt.dat scan, I believe), and the actual layout that is presented through the scenery downloaded a few days ago through Terramaster. The situation is better described through screenshots, so here they go:

1. This is the scenery currently in Terrasync.

2. This is the official layout of the parking in the airfield. Terrasync scenery agrees (for the most part) with this. OK!

3. This is the airfield layout in FGAirports. It looks like outdated (and incorrect) information. What is going on?

Anyway, the groundnet I will create will follow the OSM map, which by its turn agrees with the official layout. Just look at the map in FGAirports, and the taxiway "A" and the respective parking area.

Version: 2020.3.8

Re: LPFL Flores with FGAirports

Postby portreekid » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:26 am

Then obviously the data used to build the scenery never made it back to the apt.dat. Sadly I can’t read the actual scenery. As to the checks. The AI code will also see the apt dat and therefore the checks are still semi valid. What types of errors are reported?
portreekid

Callsign: PORTREE
Version: 2020.2.1

Postby D-ECHO » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:58 am

The apt.dat is by policy never changed, even when custom scenery is merged into TerraSync. You can get the updated airport file from the X-Plane scenery gateway, either the version used for the scenery build ("USER123" submission) or even a newer version.
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Postby AzulProfundo » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:50 pm

D-ECHO wrote in Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:58 am:The apt.dat is by policy never changed, even when custom scenery is merged into TerraSync. You can get the updated airport file from the X-Plane scenery gateway, either the version used for the scenery build ("USER123" submission) or even a newer version.

I think this will complicate matters for FGAirports, giving that it relies in the apt.dat data for some purposes. I am using a Git clone with all the apt.dat airports, but now is obvious that in many cases, the information is outdated. I could confirm that when starting the groundnet for LPHR Horta, which has the same problems as in Flores. The remedy would be to do that scan to scenery gateway, and then to update the groundweb Git repository.

In the meanwhile, I managed to conclude an edit to LPFL which is now presenting no errors in the checking phase. I have done also a small traffic file for the SATA Air Azores, just with two Sunday circuit flights, starting and ending in LPPD. There are four airports involved, and none has groundnets nor parking in the current scenery. Except for the work I have in my custom folder.

Anyway, I need more testing still in Flores, but I will open a wider scope Post on the "Azorean Groundnets with FGAirports".

Version: 2020.3.8

Postby portreekid » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:12 pm

Yes. Sadly I can't parse the btgs at the moment. Far too occuppied fixing the AI C++ code.
portreekid

Callsign: PORTREE
Version: 2020.2.1

Return to Scenery