Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

How to get Photoscenery?

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

How to get Photoscenery?

Postby Delta5142 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:42 am

Hello everyone,

I simply can't understand how to obtain and use photoscenery for Flightgear and it's driving me absolutely mad. I'm on the latest nightly, 2020.4. I've looked at the photoscenery article on the flightgear wiki (which quite honestly didn't make that much sense), I've looked at this photoscenery thread, and I've even looked at the github repository for the photoscenery. I've gotten as far as cloning the repo and obtaining the creator.py script in the repository. I just can't figure out what to do after that. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Delta5142
Delta5142

Callsign: DAL5142
Version: next

Re: How to get Photoscenery?

Postby Parnikkapore » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:50 am

The remaining steps can be found here:
https://github.com/nathanielwarner/flig ... structions

Start the Command Prompt app, 'cd' to the folder with creator.py, then run 'python creator.py [etc]' in the command prompt.

Edit: Also, yes, we really should update that wiki page.
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS

Postby Delta5142 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:38 pm

Hi Parnikkapore,
Thanks for the informative reply. Just one quick question. What does it mean to "cd" a folder, and how do I do it in Terminal on Mac?

Thanks in advance,
Delta
Delta5142

Postby WoodSTokk » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:22 am

'cd' is a shell command and stand for 'change directory'.
Code: Select all
$ cd [path/to/the/directory]
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Delta5142 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:31 am

I just still can't figure it out. :( I'm confused on how to cd the folder and run it. To be honest, a video tutorial would genuinely help with this, hopefully that's not asking too much.
Delta5142

Postby V12 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:52 am

When I started with computers 30 years ago, all was in command line. No windows, no GUI, only plain text. File manager only text, no drag'n drop etc. All programs fit into 640 kB...

You need run Command Prompt on Win, or Terminal on Linux.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby portreekid » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:27 am

Or just head over to fguk. They have two ones. England and Scotland. Was just a case of unpacking and adding as scenery
portreekid

Callsign: PORTREE
Version: 2020.2.1

Postby abassign » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:15 pm

After the negative experience that many users have had on photoscenary download, I decided to write a single program that does everything you need to bring the tile files to the right folder and in a fairly simple way. I hope to complete the SW in a few days and make it available in GPL2 within a few days. My idea is to allow both static and dynamic insertion, that is, downloading images, with automatic conversion to dds. The procedure is written in Julia, a language already used for other FGFS projects, which allows you to write a code more understandable than that in Python.
With this solution you can use the same methodology in all the Os in which FGFS is compiled.
The application works with separate tasks to reduce the impact with any active FGFS application.
The application is designed to operate in the presence of other photoscenary dds type files already installed, avoiding the rewriting of files that are correct. Another aspect is the dynamic unloading of files that could take place depending on the route of the aircraft. So you can only download files Strictly necessary.
PS: we hope it works and is to your liking.
Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
FDM developer of the G91R1B aircraft https://wiki.flightgear.org/FIAT_G91R1B
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Postby Hooray » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:30 pm

It would not be that complicated to add a custom PropertyList XML file to TerraSync for each tile, to contain a list of relevant URLs - that way, there's no legal/distribution issue whatsoever, but the community could help build a list of XML files with services/URLs - the corresponding XML files could then be processed client-side, either by a corresponding middleware script or by fgfs itself using Nasal's http module. That way, there would be no deployment issue.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Tufter » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:35 am

Where can I find a nightly build for Linux? The only builds here http://download.flightgear.org/builds/nightly/ are for mac and windows.
I was setting myself up to ungraciously dismantle this perfectly good little airplane and then off in the distance I heard a voice.
And I think it was that of my flight instructor saying: "You can always go around"
Tufter

Callsign: C-FTUF
Version: 2020.4

Postby ludomotico » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:54 am

Hooray wrote in Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:30 pm:(...) add a custom PropertyList XML file to TerraSync for each tile, to contain a list of relevant URLs - that way, there's no legal/distribution issue whatsoever

I'm sure you could devise many clever ways to try to circumvent the prohibition of distributing images by using some biased definition of "distribution". Having a database of URLs instead of images could work in some jurisdictions, be a copyright infringement in others, and a "who-knows?" in most countries.

I don't think including such list in the FG project would be a good idea.

Tufter wrote in Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:35 am:Where can I find a nightly build for Linux?

In Linux, the preferred way is building your own instance of FlighGear using the download_and_compile script: https://wiki.flightgear.org/Scripted_Co ... ian/Ubuntu

Another option (if you are using Debian, Ubuntu or a similar distribution) is using Saikrishna's PPA. It is not nightly, but pretty close: https://launchpad.net/~saiarcot895/+arc ... flightgear
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby Hooray » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:07 am

There's nothing "biased" about distributing a collection of URLs that reference publicly available imagery, let alone public domain materials in the first place.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Delta5142 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:10 am

Hi,
So I've revisited this topic and I have tried downloading photoscenery again. I download the directory and "cd" the directory containing the creator.py script. I then run the script using the command:
python creator.py

However, I get this error afterwards:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\anshdesign\Desktop\flightgear-photoscenery-master\creator.py", line 24, in <module>
    import requests
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'requests'

I'm on Windows 10

Thanks,
Delta
Delta5142

Postby wlbragg » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:53 am

Try the following but changing the scenery folder location to your scenery folder structure. The main idea to get from this is that the command requires more than just creator.py.
It requires all the arguments,
what provider the data is coming from (--provider AcrGIS),
the resolution (--cols 2)
the scenery folder you want to save the images to (--scenery_folder ...)
the tile index you want to download (--index 4675835)

I think this index (4675835) is somewhere in Austria. An easy way to get the index you want to download is by looking at Debug/Browse Internal Properties/environment/current-tile-id in the sim menu at the location your currently at.

So you need all of the following...

python3 creator.py --provider ArcGIS --cols 2 --scenery_folder C:\FG\flightgear-photoscenery\8k\ArcGIS --index 4675835
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby merspieler » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:57 am

Delta5142 wrote in Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:10 am:However, I get this error afterwards:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\anshdesign\Desktop\flightgear-photoscenery-master\creator.py", line 24, in <module>
    import requests
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'requests'

You are missing the 'requests' package...

You need to install it first. If you've got pip, you can simply run
pip install requests

If you don't have pip available, search on how to install python modules on windows.
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler

Next

Return to Scenery