Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

I want to know how to edit runway number and airports

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

I want to know how to edit runway number and airports

Postby RS001 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:35 am

Hello

I am a student who enjoy a FG.
Btw, I finded that the there are several airports which has a old data, so I want to update airports data myself.

Incheon int'l airport (RKSI) has 3 runway, 16/34, 15/33 L/R but there's only 2 runways, 15/33 L/R.

If possible, I must upload modified data and re-modeled airport scenery on this forum :D

Can anyone tell me about how to edit airports data?
I've read a Want to contribute to scenery? Please read this before all. but there's numerous information, but I can find a dead link or outdated data often.

Therefore, I uploaded this question on forum. thank you for read my topic and sorry for poor english.
I'm looking for your advice. Thank you for giving your advice.

Best Regards,
RS001
RS001

Callsign: RS908
Version: 2020.3.8

Re: I want to know how to edit runway number and airports

Postby Johan G » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:40 pm

RS001 wrote in Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:35 am:[...] I finded that the there are several airports which has a old data [...]

Yes, unfortunately the current scenery is quite old, at least half a decade.

RS001 wrote in Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:35 am:[...] I've read a Want to contribute to scenery? Please read this before all. but there's numerous information, but I can find a dead link or outdated data often.

Ah. Another good place (and hopefully more up to date and with fewer dead links) would be the scenery portal on the FlightGear wiki: https://wiki.flightgear.org/Portal:Developer/Scenery

Unfortunately, as you maybe know by now updating an airport can be a bit of work. I have not don eit myself, but IIRC (if I recall correctly) there are a few people that have modified the airport data file apt.dat. I do not know how they did it though.

RS001 wrote in Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:35 am:[...] sorry for poor english.

No worries. :)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby pb321 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:08 pm

The following describes my understanding of the process. I have done this for KORD and it works.

You can modify an airport ICAO.dat using the X-Plane World Editor, available here: https://developer.x-plane.com/tools/worldeditor/. Your updated airport can then be submitted to the X-Plane Scenery Gateway (if you have X-Plane or if you can find someone with X-Plane and is willing to upload it to the Gateway). On the next FG scenery build, the airport should be included in FlightGear.

If you don't want to wait that long to view this new airport layout in FG, you will need to generate it using TerraGear (see https://wiki.flightgear.org/TerraGear).

You will also most likely need to change the NavData files for the new runway and possibly files in the "data/scenery/airports/I/C/A/O" directory: ICAO.ils.xml and ICAO.threshold.xml.

A new NavData directory will need to be created with entries in the subdirectories /apt, /awy, /fix, /nav, and /poi. For files in /apt and /poi, you can get away with copying the new ICAO.dat into these subdirectories. For the others, you must search the forum for the format, then create new files as appropriate.

All these files will be put in a custom scenery folder for your personal use now, as they can't be added to FG easily and the process takes a long time (see https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30734 and https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?t=34168&p=338373#p338610.

So it is quite an involved process, but not terribly hard to accomplish. Perhaps, though, you can at least have things ready for the next World Scenery build?

I hope this information is helpful to you.
pb321

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Simworld2020 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:08 am

To add to what others have suggested, if you want to upload airport modifications to the x-plane gateway (eventually appearing in Flightgear), you will need to use the 64 bit version of x-plane's World Editor (" WED") software.

If you do not have a 64 bit computer, then you can still edit airports using an older version of WED. I believe the latest version of WED for 32 bit systems is version 1.72. But you will not be able to upload them to X-Plane unless you find somebody to transform your 32 bit version into X-Plane's acceptable 64 bit version - and I don't know anything about how much work that would be to do the transformation.

WED 1.72 works just fine (for me) to build an airport and use the airport for my own FG.

When you build your new airport, you can then include its folder as custom scenery in your Flightgear startup option and you can use it in your own Flightgear.

I did this process with KMVY so that I could fly from or to KMVY on the VATSIM network. Like you say about Incheon, old KMVY has a runway that is now a taxiway. And some other issues that made it difficult to use KMVY on VATSIM. So for me, using WED 1.72 worked just fine. I now have a KMVY airport (custom scenery) that matches real world coordinates and has all the proper runways and taxiways.

After making or updating an airport with WED, you will have to transform WED's file into a Flightgear scenery file using terragear.
I could not build terragear on my computer and luckily there was an online server that hosted terragear. I don't know if it still exists, I have forgotten the link. If you don't want to build terragear yourself on your own computer, and if the online server still exists, you can use it to create the actual scenery file for your updated airport. WED makes the raw file, you upload the file to the online terragear machine and it returns to you the scenery file for use in your Flightgear. Maybe somebody else knows the web address of the online terragear tool. Anyway, I will try to find it again and if I can find it, I'll post it here.

Hope this helps.
[edit] to clarify that the online terragear machine needs only one file and transforms only one file that WED creates.[/edit]
[edit #2] correction: the 32 bit WED version I used is version 1.7.2 and *not* version 1.72 [edit]
Last edited by Simworld2020 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flying DHC-6, MD-11 and A320-family
FG 2020.3.11 / 2020.4.0 nightly
Lenovo Thinkpad W540
Windows 10 Pro vers. 21H2 - 64 bit
Intel core i7-4800MQ @ 2.7 GHz
24 Gb DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA Quadro K2100M/2Gb RAM
Simworld2020

Postby tom_nl » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:09 am

I've been through this recently - here's my experience here in editing airports which may help:

https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38816#p382245

There's one more thing to add to this - for the airport to be picked up, the .stg and .btg files for the associated scenery tile also need to be in the custom scenery location:

https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38836#p382519

(or alternatively, my startup script rsyncs the custom airport.dat files and replaces the standard ones in the main scenery tree).

Tom
tom_nl

Postby benih » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:52 pm

Maybe somebody else knows the web address of the online terragear tool

I used recently: https://ns334561.ip-5-196-65.eu/tgweb/

It's down for me however.
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX
Version: next

Postby Gijs » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:27 pm

That server was taken offline by its owner Benih: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38620
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby RS001 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:05 pm

I've read this topic today because of serveral reasons, anyway, thank you very much everyone!
I'm looking for your advice. Thank you for giving your advice.

Best Regards,
RS001
RS001

Callsign: RS908
Version: 2020.3.8

Return to Scenery