Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

2020.3.6 Scenery Downloading

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

2020.3.6 Scenery Downloading

Postby dilbert » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:45 pm

Since I only had a little over 1/2 the global scenery downloaded, I went to Add-ons, "click here to download scenery"; and found it no longer functional. A message was returned "This Site can't be reached ns 334561-ip-5-196-65"; and on inquiry I was advised the server had been retired.

Fortunately, I found that Flyaway Simulation provided a flightgear-global-hd-2.01 download free. It's supposed to download at a reasonable rate, if you sign up. I didn't, so it took the advertised four days;
but it worked.

When 2020.3.6 was first installed, there was a warning message about removing user scenery files from Documents. I created a new directory-C;\Users\User {name}\FlightGear\Downloads\Scenery- and cut and pasted my old scenery to it.

The downloaded flightgear-global-hd-2.0.1 directory appeared to have been double zipped; and the individual zip files within could not be unzipped to my new Scenery directory. However, when I extracted it, a second, unzipped directory, was created in Downloads; and then, its zipped files, became extractible to my new Scenery directory.

Let's say I wanted to extract e060n20 to my Scenery directory. The popup would show C;\Users\User {name}\Downloads\flightgear-global-hd-2.0.1\e60n20 , which was now an incorrect address. To change it, I inserted
FlightGear between \User{name}\ and \Downloads\; then deleted flightgear-global-hd-2.0.1-e60, giving me C;\Users\User{name}\FlightGear\Downloads\ ; after which the pop-up gave me C;\Users\User{name}\FlightGear\Downloads\Scenery; which when clicked gave the correct path and enabled extraction and installation. :)
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 220.3.19

Re: 2020.3.6 Scenery Downloading

Postby zakalawe » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:55 pm

The approach taken by Flyaway Simulation to create a zip-of-zips is a little ... interesting. The scenery-install UI is definitely not setup to cope with that, unfortunately. We need to find a new server to host the full offline download, but so far no one volunteered one, so we are a bit stuck.

I believe there is also an unofficial torrent of the full scenery, that should download faster depending on how your ISP permits / restricts torrent-style downloading.
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Return to Scenery