Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Scenery not updated

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Scenery not updated

Postby olivierC » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:51 pm

Hello
I have submitted some requests on the xplane scenery gateway (mostly changes of QFU for some airports). After a few time, my requests have been done and my topic closed. A few months later, I synchronized with terramaster my scenery and I experienced no change at all. What I have done wrong to submit some corrections ?

Any help or explanation will be appreciated

Thank you
olivierC

Re: Scenery not updated

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:27 pm

you have done nothing wrong... FG just has not rebuilt the world scenery... the existing WS2.0 took several months to build and numerous restarts as bug were found and fixed... there is work for WS3.0 in effect now but it is still very experimental... give the project time and be patient while waiting...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby portreekid » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:24 am

And for a perspective. WS2.0 is from 2014. So you are going to be lucky you get your changes within 1-2 years
portreekid

Callsign: PORTREE
Version: 2020.2.1

Postby olivierC » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:32 pm

Thank you for your answer. I better understand now how it is working
When the scenery is updated, does it always change of version ?
olivierC

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:40 pm

if you are asking if WS3.0 will have the updated data from the x-plane gateway, that remains to be seen... at this time it appears that WS3 will provide the same airport and navaid data... the main thing with WS3.0 is that everything is draped over the ground mesh instead of, for example, the mesh having to be cut and the airports fit into the cut... roads and everything will be better placed onto the surface of the mesh for a better match to reality... at least that is how i understand it...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Johan G » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:28 am

To build on wkitty42's reply, the thing holding back scenery updates currently is the scenery architecture. With the current architecture the scenery consists of a mesh of triangles and 3D objects placed on it. The mesh encodes the material to be shown, for example deciduous needle leaf forest, industrial areas, or concrete apron.

The scenery architecture in development (World Scenery 3.0) aims to not encode the materials into the mesh, but rather drape them over the mesh. This would make updating airport layouts much, much easier in the future.

When the mesh for the scenery with the current architecture is created it takes input in the form of landcover data, roads and railways, a digital elevation model, and airport layouts (and probably some more stuff) and output meshes for each scenery tile with all that encoded into the materials for each triangle.

Unfortunately that also means that to update an airport, that entire tile have to be remade. Also, due to how the tools do it, there will always create visible seams between the scenery tiles if they are not made in the same run. I do now that some island have been updated in the TerraSync scenery, but otherwise, as it would require regenerating entire continental landmasses in one run to not get seams, that has not been done. An addition, I should mention that, as I understand it, generating a scenery tile takes hours rather than minutes.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Return to Scenery